Lt. Gov. Schaefer???

One of the hottest games of the moment in Annapolis is trying to tease out the names of potential running mates for the candidates for governor. Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley has already tapped Prince George's Del. Anthony Brown. That leaves Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan (D) and Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R), who is losing his partner of four years--Michael S. Steele a.k.a "LG"-- to the race for U.S. Senate.

Ehrlich fueled speculation last week and had a little fun with one of his favorite Democrats, Comptroller William Donald Schaefer. The governor opened the Board of Public Works hearing by reading aloud a letter from a Baltimore County constituent:

"As a lifelong Democrat, I would like to recommend Wm. Donald Schaefer as a running mate for Mr. Ehrlich. Please consider my Schaefer, and try to convince him to join us officially."

The hand-written note to Ehrlich's re-election committee included a check made out to Schaefer with room enough to add the word "Committee" after his name should Schaefer decide to join Ehrlich's team.
"I just wanted to put it all out there," Ehrlich said. "The Comptroller has made the list!"
He added with a smile, "There is a background check, however, and we have a team of lawyers looking into his years in public office."
The governor said later he is amused by the running mate guessing game and insisted "there is no short list."
A long list, perhaps?

Ann Marimow

By Phyllis Jordan  |  January 21, 2006; 8:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gay Marriage--Beyond the Politics
Next: And then there were seven...

Comments

Dear workers at the Washington Post,
Does it feel good to be working for a newspaper with all the credibility of the Washington Times? Of course, that's a compliment to John Harris.

Posted by: elliottg | January 21, 2006 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I have been a subscriber for wapo for 22 years and I am at the end of my patience with the paper. The paper has decidedly gone rightwing in the last few years. We have gone through 4 ombudsmen in these 22 yrs. There is no one worse than Ms Howell. Since her Froomkin column 4 wks ago, she has shown her true rightwing colors. (She took the following week off, presumably to escape from answering all those complaints.)
In her column on a report on military trecruitment (I thought the original article was quite balanced and fair), Ms Howell quoted right wing think tanks without identifying
them as such (while identifying the think tank from the original report as left-wing). From the ombudsman's column, it was clear that no readers have actually complained about the original report, but still she took it on herself to complain about the report.

Then the following week, Ms Howell picked the topic of religious reporting. Again, no complaints from readers to trigger that article. It is just that Ms Howell wanted wapo to do more reporting on religion. Again, a right wing talking point.

Then the following week, she waded into Abramoff affair, with a glowing portrait of Susan Schmidtt. Is that really the job for ombudsman? (Ms Howell somehow even found to bring up Lewinsky matter in that article.)
Again, Ms Howell cited no reader complaints. And her anticipatory remark about involvement of Democrats in Abramoff
affair with a comment like "stay tuned."
She is actually wishing for Dems' involvement? Is that professional?

Ms Howell simply does not meet the late and great Katherine Graham's standards. Every Sunday, I eagerly used to anticipate ombudsman column. Not anymore. Looks like we have to write off the next 5 years. why do i want to read another rightwinger? We have enough of them on the op-ed page already. So sad, so sad really.

The only reason that I still cling on to Wapo is because of the memories of Ms Graham. But how long?
Easy to cancel my subscription and tell my two children (who grew up with Wapo on family breakfast table and subscribe to Wapo on their own now) to cancel too.
But that is too easy. We want to reform Wapo and show them the error in their ways.

I really think Ms Howell should be relieved of her job. I have come to this conclusion based on the last 4 columns (in 5 weeks) she has written and that I have cited above.

Posted by: ecoast | January 21, 2006 1:25 PM | Report abuse

The Post rightwing? Funny worldview you all have.

And Schaefer's doing just fine where he is.

Posted by: johnson | January 21, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Let's see some evidence that Abramoff 'directed' his clients to give to Democrats. C'mon. It's that simple. That is, if we can all forgive Ms. Howell her 'mistake' in saying A. himself gave to Dems.... Pitiful.

Posted by: Zombie Woof | January 22, 2006 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Dear Subscriber,

Stop whining on the Maryland Blog and get a freaken life. Clearly some of you are a tad too vindicative, and I say that with the deepest sarcasm. I don't give a flying __ about your thoughts on the Post that you feel the need to spam on every single forum out there. So shut up already.

The topic at hand--Willy Don will remain as comptroller. He's loved by lots of people despite his sometimes senile-like-commentary.

Posted by: Bryan | January 22, 2006 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Bryan,

Stop whining. Why don't you go tell the WaPo to open up comments elsewhere (where they have closed them down) and I, for one, would be happy to move on. I don't give a rodental buttock about what you have to say either.

Posted by: elliottg | January 22, 2006 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Ecoast, I agree with you 110%. The Post is a shell of its former self. If you haven't already, read Graham's autobiography. I weep for what the Post once was. And Phil Graham would as well. I cancelled my subscription to this paper long ago. I know it's only a matter of time before the Post follows the shameful NYTimes practice of erecting a firewall to it's op-ed columnists. When that happens I'm gone for good.

Back OT: Card carrying rightwinger Ombudsman notwithstanding, the Post can tout as much as it wants for Ehrlich and Schaefer or Steele or any other Maryland embarrassment in Annapolis, our state will remain safely BLUE.

Posted by: MdVoter | January 23, 2006 4:04 AM | Report abuse

MdVoter, I wish I were so confident. Now that all news is processed through the right-wing filter, I don't see how any election in any state can be safe.

Posted by: howie | January 24, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse