Don't bet on Duncan-Schmoke

Governor

Former Baltimore mayor Kurt L. Schmoke (D) said yesterday he definitely won't be running on County Executive Douglas M. Duncan's ticket.

"You can kill that idea," Schmoke said in an interview. " I will not be on the ticket. Nobody is being coy about that."

Duncan, who faces Baltimore Mayor Martin J. O'Malley in the Democratic primary for governor, has been looking for running mate, possibly an African-American from the Baltimore area. Some have speculated that Schmoke, the dean of the Howard University Law School, and Duncan would be a good match. Earlier this year, Schmoke endorsed Duncan, but said at the time he didn't want to be considered for the number two slot.

But rumors persist that Duncan loyalists have tried to change Schmoke's mind. Schmoke said today the rumors are false.

"We had a conversation a long time ago about possibiities and I said, 'Look, before you even follow up on that, I am not interested." He didn't ask because in the course of our conversation very early on, I made it clear I was not interested in doing that," Schmoke said.

Schmoke said he has made "recommendations" to Duncan on possible running mates, although he refuses to name whom. "I am going to help him a great bit," Schmoke said.

Schmoke also offered up this advice to Democrats who think Duncan should get out of the race to give O'Malley a clear shot at Republican Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. "I would think if there is one thing that party would learn from 2002, it is that coronations are not necessarily good for the party," he said.

By Tim Craig  |  March 28, 2006; 4:45 AM ET
Categories:  Governor
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Another Ad for Duncan
Next: Correction... Duncan's 'Old' Ad

Comments

Didn't Duncan's campaign manager, Scott Arceneuax, claim late last year that he was going to have a running mate before the General Assembly session began. Cripes, the session is now almost over and Duncan still can't find anyway willing to run with him.

Posted by: Fred | March 28, 2006 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Wow, when even Kurt Schmoke won't join your ticket, you're definitely in trouble as a campaign.

This saga of when or who is Duncan going to pick as his running mate has been a huge and embarassing drain on the Duncan campaign.

Posted by: O'Malley says to Duncan: "Who's Your Daddy?" | March 28, 2006 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I think an O'Malley/Duncun ticket would have been great and unbeatable. Curious if anyone can offer recommendations for superb women state wide candidates in Maryland? I find the Post almost always covers the men in Annapolis. I've been impressed with Sharon Grosfeld (MoCo) and Shane Pendergrass (HoCo), lets hear some more about them and other women legislators from the Post, please.

Posted by: Women candidates? | March 28, 2006 10:11 AM | Report abuse

It is a bit concerning that Duncan does not have a running mate. It's too bad that Mr. Schmoke did not take him up on his offer. Not that am I familiar with the merits of Mr. Schmoke, but he has a really awesome last name...Schmoke.

Posted by: D in MoCo | March 28, 2006 11:29 AM | Report abuse

stop schmoking!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2006 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I too thought Duncan was to have a running mate by now. I don't blame Schmoke for not wanting to run, he lead the city down the drain for 12 years, all of those bad memories would be revived in a campaign. As a Baltimore City resident, I can say that having Kurt Schmoke endorse Duncan will have the effect of increasing votes for O'Malley in the Baltimore area because of the low opinion so many people have of Schmoke's performance as Mayor. It was under Schmoke that Baltimore had 1,000 residents a month leave the city, the homicide rate sky rocketed and consequently he is not remembered well by many here. Brilliant man, but not a good Mayor.

Posted by: Matt | March 28, 2006 12:04 PM | Report abuse

FYI, for those of you Beltway denizens who don't know it, but Kurt Schmoke's name in Baltimore has the same value as Marion Barry's, but without the popularity. Ask yourselves if that's who you want associated with your campaign. Duncan could add him but Schmoke has tried to distance himself from Baltimore, and Baltimore from him. Maybe not Worst. Mayor. Ever. but pretty awful.

Posted by: Carl W | March 28, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget only one of the three candidates for governor has a running mate. the governor doesnt even have a running mate yet; his own lt. governor opted instead to seek another office. i find it a little interesting that o'malley hastily chose a running mate way before precedent. duncan seems to be taking his time looking at all possible options and will pick the right candidate that suits him best

Posted by: Jim | March 28, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

It's no surprise to many of us in Montgomery County that Duncan can't find a running mate. His greatest base of support comes from people who aren't even eligible to vote: illegal aliens. For several years, he has supported their interests while neglecting the interests of the voters. At the same time, he's accepted tons of money from real estate developers. He can buy only a limited number of votes with the developers' cash.

No way could Duncan win a race even for County Executive in Montgomery County now. Governor? Forget it.

Posted by: MoCo Resident | March 28, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

O'Malley can plant all the operatives he wants on here. Duncan's the way to go. He's done more. He isn't fighting with everyone he has to work with. And he doesn't whine and squint his eyes like a disingenous politician like O'Malley has practiced so hard to master. Maryland will have a choice finally (if Lierman stays out of this): substance over a boy that feels entitled. No brainer--Duncan all the way!

Posted by: Doug's the man | March 28, 2006 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Curious if these are really plants or genuine views on O'Malley v. Duncun? Just FYI, I've been genuinely undecided, only want the best Dem. candidate, but have been very loud asking Duncun not to campaign negatively against a felow Dem. and to go after Ehrlich instead. I'm not a plant, I'm not an operative, I just want a Dem. in the Governor's mansion. Would love to read more positives reasons to vote for either candidate.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 29, 2006 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that I would be called a plant because of my honest feelings about Kurt Schmoke and my own Mayor. If anyone who lives in Baltimore City and likes what the Mayor is doing for the City is a plant, there are a lot of us out there. No one should be called a plant simply because they are supportive of their current elected official. The person who sounds like a plant is the one who can only use personal attacks against the Mayor in favor of their candidate. I have nothing personal against Mr. Duncan and will vote for Mr. Duncan against Mr. Ehrlich if he is my party's nominee (not as enthusiastically as I would for Mr. O'Malley since it is hard to support someone who constantly attacks your adopted home--I moved from DC 8 years ago) but will nevertheless support him against Mr. Ehrlich. I love Mayor O'Malley--the progress in my neighborhood has been tremendous. 8 years ago when I moved here I couldn't walk one block north of my house because it could be dangerous, now I walk they 7 blocks to and from work everyday because of the progress that has been made in the neighborhood. It is awesome that I don't pay to park, haven't bought gas in a month and lost 3 pounds since I became a walking commuter 6 months ago.

Posted by: Matt | March 29, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The polls show that Duncan can't even pull 50% in the primary against O'Malley in HIS OWN COUNTY! He's damaged goods and a losing bet. No wonder Schmoke, et al have turned Duncan down.

- Duncan is losing in the polls
- Duncan is losing the money chase (big time)

The only thing Duncan is gaining are fans in the Republican party for trashing the city of Baltimore. Thanks, Doug, for reminding us how much more difficult to govern a large urban city with all the attendant challenges.

Duncan rides shotgun on one of the wealthiest (and taxed) best educated (apparently being educated in moldy trailers) jurisdictions IN THE KNOWN WORLD. You would really have to mismanage things (Clarksburg for example) to fail.

And what do these wealthy, highly educated voters from Montgomery county think. Well, a majority have decided that they don’t support Duncan for governor!

Posted by: Send Ehrlich Packing | March 29, 2006 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Send Ehrlich Packing, you are right on!

I couldn't have said it any better.

Be careful though, I hear The Washington Post is considering clamping down on this blog because the Post overwhelmingly supports Duncan and doesn't like to see the sentiment on this blog running so aggressively against their chosen boy.

Posted by: O'Malley says to Duncan: "Who's Your Daddy?" | March 29, 2006 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Nothing to fear,OMSTD:WYD. No plans to clamp down on the blog.

Posted by: Phyllis Jordan | March 29, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

The Post Editorial Page supported the War in Iraq too. They aren't as right lately as they used to be. I also don't think the Post has supported Duncan over O'Malley, they just know him better. Which raises a good point - Post - why don't you help us in the DC area get to know Baltimore and its Mayor better? We're finally getting more info on Annapolis now, its okay to venture into the Baltimore Sun country once in a while for the sake of your readers.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 29, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

You know what, you should closely examine Duncan's 12-year history of Washington Post press coverage.

Any honest assessment of the Post's relationship w/ Duncan would leave you with the impression that the Post has basically had a non-stop love affair with Duncan since he became county executive.

The problem with this is that because the Post's press coverage of Duncan has been so overwhelmingly slanted in his favor, it has meant that any legitimate voices of dissent against Duncan's policies have effectively been silenced.

This is precisely the kind of journalism that doesn't serve the interest of the overall community.

Posted by: O'Malley says to Duncan: "Who's Your Daddy?" | March 30, 2006 8:09 AM | Report abuse