Duncan Supporters Leaflet O'Malley Event

Governor

Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley received a warm reception last night from more than 200 people gathered inside a middle school auditorium on the home turf of his Democratic rival for governor, Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan.

But what happened outside of Takoma Park MIddle School generated some buzz as well. As people arrived for the event, they were greeted by a Duncan staffer and several volunteers in yellow t-shirts handing out anti-O'Malley fliers that had been authorized by Duncan's campaign.

One side featured a reprint of Thursday's Washington Post op-ed penned by Duncan about crime problems in Baltimore. The other side featured a color photo of O'Malley playing in his Irish rock band and offered this headline: "What tune is Martin O'Malley singing tonight on the ICC?" The flier sought to make the case that the mayor has been inconsistent in his views on the proposed intercounty connector.

Inside, Duncan's name came up only once after O'Malley arrived, running late from a fundraiser in Rockville. That was during a question-and-answer session following O'Malley's remarks. An audience member referrd to a Duncan plan for expanding college scholarships and asked O'Malley for his views on the subject. O'Malley praised Duncan's ideas.

During earlier remarks, O'Malley touted progress on crime and education made during his tenure, saying he had taken the reins of a city in which "having 10 excuses for not making progress was almost as good as making progress."

By John Wagner  |  March 24, 2006; 8:27 AM ET
Categories:  Governor
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O'Malley Backs Crime Audit Bill
Next: Regents Fundraising Ban

Comments

Truly the WaPo is an embarassment. Jim Brady does not beat his wife and, I'm sure, is kind to children, but to allow this group of yahoos, right wing syncophants, and arrogant pr*cks (Kurtz, Van der Hei, Brady, Harris, Woodward and Howell are the obvious examples) to frame this nation's discourse is a mockery of any claim to professionalism other journalists at the Post may have.

Posted by: elliottg | March 24, 2006 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Yay Duncan for defending his turf!! Doug Duncan rocks :)

Posted by: Veronica | March 24, 2006 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Where's the flip-flop on the ICC? O'Malley has been in favor of the highway from day one but knows it isn't enough to keep traffic moving. Duncan has done nothing on transporation except pat Ehrlich on the back for getting a single highway passed that will just dump more cars onto 270.

After the Kings Farm development and the Clarksburg growth, we need the ICC, but we also need real growth policy that works with development and business, a stronger commitment to mass transit, and more incentives for carpoolers and hybrid drivers. O'Malley did all those things in Baltimore. Duncan built an ugly arts center and clogged up Georgia Ave. by rebuilding Silver Spring without planning for more cars.

How is it inconsistent for O'Malley to ask that we think better as opposed to simply thinking bigger?

Posted by: Mike | March 24, 2006 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I was at that O'Malley event last night and I have to say, as someone who walked in completely undecided, that I was impressed with O'Malley's ideas and his postive attitude, and distinctly unimpressed with Duncan's nasty attack. I will wait to decide until I have heard Duncan speak as well, but I'm one of those many voters who don't like such negative campaigning. Even Duncan's website is filled with attacks on O'Malley, while O'Malleys is all about his acomplishments and his ideas for the future.

Posted by: Silver Spring | March 24, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Like Silver Spring, I am still on the fence as to which candidate I will vote for in the primary as I do not know enough about each one to make a decision; however, after reading Duncan's Op-ed yesterday and growing accounts of negative campaigning I'm already starting to swing toward O'Malley. I am so tired of both parties. The Republicans are full of venom and lies and the Democrats are full of...well you know what. I want a candidate who has a strong vision and a good plan. So where is this person?

Posted by: Mr. K | March 24, 2006 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I hear the MD Green Party may be running a candidate for Governor. Check out Ed Boyd:

Posted by: MD Green | March 24, 2006 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Many people have been incredibly turned off by Duncan's negativity. Last night it was an interesting juxtaposition to be given a nasty, mean flyer by Duncan supporters then to go inside and hear O'Malley say that he will say "nothing unkind" about his democratic opponent.

Posted by: Takoma Park | March 24, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

But he may lock up up without cause if he is found loitering on the streets of Baltimore.

Posted by: Progressive. | March 24, 2006 2:20 PM | Report abuse

EDDIE BOYD FOR GOVERNOR!!! To all Democratic partisans who complain about "spoiled" elections, I say: "Support Instant Runoff Voting!" For background information on I.R.V., please go to:

In the Maryland legislature, the Democratic leadership has just plain refused to sign on to the I.R.V. legislation.

Posted by: nat | March 24, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Silver Spring and looking for positive reasons to vote for the best Democratic candidate. Oh and the Greens will never have my vote, I'm still furious at Ralph Nader for helping to had us George W. Bush and saying it wouldn't make a difference whether Gore or Bush was Pres. Now we have the war in Iraq, record debt, global warming with an administration that doesn't even acknowledge it, etc. etc. I have a big Green Grudge.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I am impressed with Mr. Duncan's op-ed piece. I also don't understand where the negative publicity is on his website. I went to both of the candidates websites. Mr. O'Malley does not defend himself on what is being said in the media on his website. That makes me think that he wants to avoid further attention. I don't buy the negative attack comments.

O'Malley's campaign came out swinging attacking Mr. Duncan on what? Developing an area that was full of crime and with what did not look like much promise? The negative attack spin seems to be fueled more by the Republican Party.

Congratulations to all of you that have bought into the negative spin from the other side. You have successfully bought into what the Republicans want you to do, and that is in-house arguing.

I work in Silver Spring and went to the event last night and was very impressed with Mr. O'Malley. I didn't think that the Duncan supporters were going to be there, but you can not really miss those yellow shirts. They also gave me a flyer. Hardly nasty. There were attendees around me reading the same flyer chuckling at the biceps on the Mayor with the title beneath it about what tune he was singing. Not nasty, just clever.

This is going to be a very hard decision to make this primary.

I hope each candidate makes themselves more accessible to each county. Mr. Duncan and Mr. O'Malley feel invisible here in Howard County.

Let us hope that the Nader's don't stab us in the back come 2008.

Posted by: Darla | March 25, 2006 1:21 AM | Report abuse

The Duncan campaign is in desperation mode because O'Malley is clearly making inroads in Montgomery County while Duncan is a bust in Baltimore.

I'm still waiting for there to be one good week for the Duncan campaign . . . so far, his campaign has either stagnated or lost ground during the entire campaign.

Posted by: Duncan4DogCatcher | March 25, 2006 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm desperate to meet the woman handing out the Duncan flyers at the O'Malley event in Silver Spring. I'll start showing up at every single O'Malley event if she's there.

Hey DogCatcher! Lighten up. What's your grudge against Doug?

Posted by: Anon | March 25, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

From what I hear from a friend who works on Duncan's campaign, Duncan's campaign headquarters has become a very unpleasant place to work.

Apparently, daily tirades from Duncan are the norm and watching Duncan's face turn bright red after all of his screaming and yelling are painful to watch.

Actually, I'd love to see some video of this whole thing -- it would be a hoot.

I keep trying to convince my friend to shoot some video of what is really going on in their office, but I guess he'd be fired or maybe even hurt if he did that.

Posted by: Developer Doug | March 25, 2006 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Last week, while we were having drinks in Bethesda, Dog Catcher told me why he is so angry about Duncan and his sloppy campaign for governor of Maryland.

According to Dog Catcher, a few years ago in Clarksburg, Duncan and Dog Catcher entered into a hot dog eating contest.

Unfortunately for Dog Catcher, Duncan had an unusually heavy appetite that day for hot dogs -- apparently, Duncan had just finished making plans to launch his End Gridlock campaign, where a group of like minded developer types decided to go after the more slow growth candidates for Montgomery County Council . . .

Back to our story -- Duncan ate so many hot dogs that day, more than anyone had seen since the last contest that took place down in Rockville, that Duncan won the contest hands down.

From that day forward, Dog Catcher never forgave Duncan.

That's why Dog Catcher is mad at Duncan -- because like the former U.S. President, William Hoard Taft, who weighed 350 pounds, Duncan clears the food on a table every time.

Posted by: Developer Doug | March 25, 2006 7:05 PM | Report abuse

This post is in response to Mr. Epstein's negative comment on the leafleters of the Duncan Campaign.

Mr. Epstein stated that it was, "unfortunate" that the Duncan campaign had distributed leaflets. That this was a form of negative campaigning expected of the Republican Campaign at an "O'Malley event."

I find this statement to be hypocritical as Mr. Epstein's campaign staffers or volunteers have done the very same thing. Is Mr. Epstein prepared to direct the same negative comment at his own campaign?

I would like to remind Mr. Epstein that the Duncan campaign was practicing their first ammendment right to free speech. I know that in today's political climate our Bill of Rights have been trampled upon and kicked to the side...but they do still exist Mr. Epstein.

My demeanor at the O'Malley event, along with the other volunteers, was one of courtesy, respect, and highly professional. In fact, one of the O'Malley people came outside to greet me as we had both met at the event I mentioned above.

Mr. Epstein, the next time you compare those of us who are advocating for Doug Duncan as Governor to the Republican Campaign...you might want to get your facts straight. I might also remind you that this IS the United States of America, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave...does any of that ring a bell to you?

Or perhaps you have taken a page out of the Bush White House playbook, and plan to exclude anyone that is standing OUTSIDE wearing a "yellow shirt?" Will the next move be from your security people attempting to remove invited Duncaneers to events that O'Malley is attending? Does that ring a bell?

WHO LOOKS MORE REPUBLICAN NOW?

Posted by: A.B. or aka Duncaneer (as O'Malley has dubbed me) | March 26, 2006 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey "Duncaneer": How about trying to give off more "light" and less "heat"?

Posted by: pepe le moco | March 26, 2006 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Hi Duncaneer, you must be really frustrated that O'Malley was able to attract a significant crowd in Montgomery County in the first place.

Doesn't that tell you something?

It should.

What it means is that Duncan's own home base in Montgomery County is fairly weak and I'm sure you saw that recent poll that was done that showed the same.

Duncaneer, can you tell us what it's really like to work at Duncan campaign headquarters right now?

Does Duncan really throw temper tantrums on an almost daily basis like I've heard.

I'd love to hear your take . . . I'd also like to know what it's like to work on a losing campaign.

Do tell Duncanner, please.

Posted by: Duncan's Losing Campaign | March 27, 2006 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Here's where I am. Two good men/candidates for Governor. I've seen Duncun in person and he's quite competent and runs MoCo fine, but he's less than charasmatic. Never seen O'Malley in person, but I like his big City and urban problems experience and those I know and respect adore him and says he lights up a crowd. I absolutely hate Duncun's negative campaigning and this incident in Takoma Park has pushed me into the O'Malley camp. I was to beat Ehrlich and its looking more and more like O'Malley's the man.

Posted by: formerly undecided, now leaning toward O'Malley | March 27, 2006 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Dear Losing Campaign,

Can't you think of something more original? Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Right on Duncaneer! You had all of us Duncan supporters shouting, "Yes!"

Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Ruth | March 27, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

This Duncan campaign is worse than The Bad News Bears.

The fact that Duncan has to even employ these negative leaphlet tactics in his own county just shows that Duncan is in big trouble.

Could it be that O'Malley could actually win Montgomery County?

Wow.

Posted by: O'Malley says to Duncan: "Who's Your Daddy Now?" | March 27, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Phyllis - I'm not sure why registration and new rules would matter or enhance the site. This site has very little participation and readers turn out or off what they want. Some participants are trying to encourage participation or discussion, others are musing or getting rid of grudges, etc. All in all, its healthy and fun and sometimes inspires additional Post coverage of the subjects. I say let it flow and let the readers set their own rules. I'm generally sick of rules these days on freedom of expression as long as people aren't horribly offensive. Let's just let it ride a while before we become "old school marms". I say experiment with some free expression.

Posted by: no name, changing name, what does it matter? | March 28, 2006 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Phyllis. Could it be that because The Washington Post supports Duncan and the sentiment overwhelmingly runs against Duncan on this blog, that your higher ups are urging you to shut down the blog?

Say it aint so.

Posted by: O'Malley says to Duncan: "Who's Your Daddy?" | March 29, 2006 7:46 AM | Report abuse

This is the real Phyllis Jordan of the Washington Post. I didn't post that item above. I'm assuming someone meant to post it to me, rather than as me. I'm going to remove it since one of our few rules is that you can't post in anybody else's name.

It doesn't matter to me what name you use to post with or what you write. (as long as it's not profane, legally actionable, etc.) The blog is here to encourage debate, rather than discourage it.

Enjoy

Posted by: Phyllis Jordan | March 29, 2006 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Ms. Jordan, I think the person who posted the now-deleted comment WAS trying to post in your name, in a misguided attempt to show how easy it would be to assume someone else's identity. As I recall, the gist of the comment was that posters should be required to use their real names, etc. I don't think they meant any harm. Personally I prefer an "alias".

Posted by: Pepe le moco | March 29, 2006 11:35 PM | Report abuse