Duncan on the Air

Governor

Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan (D) becomes the first candidate for governor to start advertising on television, debuting spots in the Baltimore media market this morning, the same day he formally unveils his new running mate.

Duncan appears on camera, offers a quick take on his biography and suggests himself as an alternative to Batimore Mayor Martin O'Malley (D) and Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R) -- both of whom appear in the ads as nearly lifesize cardboard cutouts.

"These guys get lots of attention to themselves," Duncan tells viewers. "It's time someone paid attention to you. We don't have to settle for the way things are, because Maryland, it's time to think bigger."
Duncan spokesman Jody Couser said the spots are appearing on Baltimore's ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX affiliates. She would not disclose any other details of the ad buy.

"It's important that Doug continue to introduce himself to the Baltimore market, and this is one of many components of that effort," Couser said.

An executive with WBAL, Baltimore's NBC affiliate, said Duncan's initial buy on that station was limited to two days at a cost of $14,000 and said the spots would air primarily on morning shows.

Ad purchases in the Baltimore television market, which reaches more than half the state, are less expensive than those in the Washington market. But it is unclear how much airtime Duncan can afford. As of January, he had about $1.4 million in the bank, about one-third the cash on hand of O'Malley.

"It's very telling that Mr. Duncan is launching an ad campaign this early in the race," said O'Malley spokesman Hari Sevugan. "He has a lot of ground to make up, given every statewide poll has shown him trailing Martin O'Malley by overwhelming margins in the Baltimore media market."

Sevugan would not comment on when O'Malley might take to the airwaves.

Duncan is slated to get some additional exposure today as he formally announces Stuart O. Simms, a Baltimore lawyer, as his pick for a lieutenant governor candidate at events in Largo and Baltimore.

John Wagner

By Phyllis Jordan  |  May 3, 2006; 6:12 AM ET
Categories:  Governor
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It's Official: It's Simms
Next: Senate Forum Highlights Affordable Housing

Comments

It is amazing what it costs to remain in obscurity.

Posted by: Steve in Silver Spring | May 3, 2006 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Steve, get with the program.

This ad by Duncan is a brilliant stroke of genius and The Washington Post's article proves it's true.

Also, you should thank Duncan personally for revitalizing your town Silver Spring . . . if it weren't for Doug Duncan, real estate values in Silver Spring would be in the toilet (ha, ha).

Duncan is god and he is your master -- bow to Duncan as all greedy land developers who have destroyed Montgomery County do -- all hail Duncan.

On a serious note, this Duncan TV ad is a last gasp effort to breathe life into Duncan's campaign -- it won't work.

Posted by: Response to Steve in Silver Spring | May 3, 2006 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he should jump in a lake like that Lichtman guy. That really worked well...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2006 10:38 AM | Report abuse

No, no, no -- please Jody Couser and Scott Arceneaux -- please don't let Duncan try this stunt -- Duncan is a rather large man and everyone knows what happens when a large person jumps in a body of water.

Yay Duncan!

Posted by: Duncan's Hot Air | May 3, 2006 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: How One-Sided | May 3, 2006 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Let me respond:

Yes, Duncan's Maryland Moment, as an extension of The Washington Post is extremely one-sided and will overwhelmingly present Duncan stories. Get used to it.

But the Post is feeling the heat big time for their many years of promoting Duncan without allowing the voices of dissent in Montgomery County to present their viewpoints.

And now, the Post is getting hit hard where it hurts -- in their pocketbook.

Alienating its readers is finally catching up to the Post -- it sort of makes you wonder whether any of those editors at the Post are now second guessing their 12 year devotion to everything Doug.

Posted by: Duncan's Hot Air | May 3, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I am a long time Montgomery County resident who would NEVER vote for Duncan, and I know many others who feel the same! We are totally turned off by his kssing-up to the illegal immigrant population. This will backfire on him as it did in Herndon.

Posted by: Mandy | May 3, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Mandy, this is Doug Duncan talking to you . . .

You will vote for me for governor for the following reasons:

1. The Washington Post has endorsed me time and time again; also, the Post has helped promote my viewpoints while silencing all of my critics.

This may have hurt the Post's bottom line because the Post's slanted coverage in my favor has alienated thousands of its readers, but nevertheless, I control the Post and they will do whatever I and my developer friends want.

2. I am the one who is most responsible for catching those two snipers, not the police.

3. I made Silver Spring come alive -- Silver Spring's revitalization has nothing to do with real estate values skyrocketing all over the D.C. are, it was me who made it happen.

4. Montgomery's school system is second to none because of me and me alone.

5. Real estate developers love me because I rubber stamp every one of their projects in exchange for big fat campaign donations.

The list goes on and on and on . . .

Like many other suckers in Montgomery County, you will succumb to the power of Doug Duncan -- go ahead, it's OK, drink the cool aid, don't worry.

Posted by: Duncan's Hot Air | May 3, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Has Maryland Moment become Duncan Moment? Just about every post this week has been about Duncan. I know where the Post stands (it's no secret), but it's getting obvious even by Post standards."

Is that what the O'Malley campaign calls it these days when the Washington Post *gasp* covers both democratic candidates? The Baltimore Sun is off promotiong O'Malley fest and bowing down to him and the Post is writing articles about Duncan, O'Malley and Ehrlich in a fair light.

My hat's off the Post, and this as a Republican who can't stand Duncan or O'Malley, for really pushing the envelope in seeking objective coverage this cycle. I must say I am surprised.

Posted by: Bryan | May 5, 2006 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Once again, congratulations to all the O'Malley staffers for taking time out of their day to post on the Washington Post blog and make it appear that so many people are opposed to Doug and therefore will support Omalley

You guys need to get lives. I bet more than 75% of the anti Doug comments are from Omalley staffers and/or interns.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2006 11:42 PM | Report abuse