Ring, ring....

As candidates step up efforts to remind their supporters to vote next Tuesday, many are making use of automated telephone recordings.

Most recently, that includes U.S. Senate candidate Allan Lichtman, who has asked former presidential contender George McGovern to record a message on his behalf. That was dialed in to 90,000 Maryland households this week, according to Lichtman.

Meanwhile, former Prince George's County Executive Wayne Curry has recorded a call going out to 100,000 of his county's residents on behalf of comptroller contender Janet S. Owens.

By  |  September 8, 2006; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Steele's Highwire Act
Next: Sharp Words in the AG, Comptroller Races

Comments

Its been my experience that lots of people do not like phone solicitations interrupting them at dinner, during homework or in quiet time. However, our computer savvy population does like to blog. So why has blog.washingtonpost..com/countyconnections/ shut down any discussion of the Montgomery County executive race since August 24 with few postings before then? Each time there has been a posting about that race there has been much more blogging than about P.G., Howard, or Frederick matters. Does the paper want to limit the conversation and dictate it's Leggett choice? This is an election, not a coronation. If we had wanted a king, we would have voted for the little king at Burger King.

Posted by: Robin Ficker Independent for Montgomery County Executive | September 8, 2006 7:51 AM | Report abuse

You can always count on Robin Ficker...to have something irrelevant to say.

Posted by: Pepe le Moco | September 8, 2006 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Why are these unsolicited telemarketing calls allowed to circumvent the National Do-Not-Call list?

And how can I sue the people responsible?

Posted by: Rufus | September 8, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Everyone should salute wayne curry for endorsing Janet Owens, as all politicians and institutions alike, should have done. Janet Owen deserves this states nad for comptroller, and i am confident, especially after Scheafers latest rant, that the public will vote her into office. Its time for change from this embarassment. Owens has my household vote. And my hat goes off to curry for his help in making sure she becomes out next comptroller.

Posted by: joanna | September 8, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Rufus,

The do not call registry makes exceptions for a number of things, including political campaigns and polling. Regardless of party, I'm not sure there are many politicians who would vote to ban something they see as a tool. But, and I hate to admit that I actually agree with you on something, I think that's pretty stupid. There are enough other ways for candidates to get in touch with me - they don't need the phones.

Posted by: E in MC | September 8, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"Janet Owen deserves this states nad for comptroller..."

Deserve the typo of the year award...

Posted by: E in MC | September 8, 2006 10:58 AM | Report abuse

let me try again...

Janet Owens deserves this states NOD for comptroller

Posted by: joanna | September 8, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Will Curry work for O'Malley or will he help Ehrlich? I hope the latter since Curry seems a legit character.

Posted by: Voter | September 8, 2006 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Sure, why wouldn't Mr. Development Wayne Curry give the nod to the queen of sprawl. He's the guy who wanted to build luxury homes in the Patuxent watershed, which is a sensitive wildlife area.

I'm more inclined to respect the League of Conservation Voters, the Washington Post, the Baltimore Sun, and the state teachers union, and the state's health care workers union, all of whom have endorsed Peter Franchot.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2006 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I applaud the passage of the Do-Not-Call legislation. I DESPISE being awakened or interrupted by calls from automated systems espousing a point of view, pushing a candidate, or asking for contributions. I vote AGAINST and boycott those who (ab)use this capability. I would like to have the Do-Not-Call regulations extended to political campaigns and charitable organizations, requiring them to bypass those on the national lists. While unlikely, it sure would be refreshing to hear a candidate back such legislation.

Posted by: FE in Rockville | September 11, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to the Queen and her lackeys. Maryland dodged a bullet.

Posted by: AA Resident | September 13, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Having the government silence political speech, even if it is annoying, should not be something for which we clamor.

Posted by: Marylander | September 13, 2006 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Janet Owens got the State nad.

Posted by: Annapolitan | September 13, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse