Wynn's Win

The vote count didn't end until yesterday, leaving Rep. Al Wynn the winner in the Democratic primary for the 4th Congressional District, representing parts of Montgomery and Prince George's counties.

Challenger Donna Edwards conceded her defeate this morning, urging state and local officials to investigate voting irregularities in Prince George's County.

Last week as the votes were still being counted, Wynn joked with fellow congressman about the race's narrow margin.

Here's an exchange Wynn had at a House committee hearing with Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.) about the close contest, decided by fewer than 3,000 votes:

Barton: Down in Texas, we had a Democratic primary about 50 years ago that Lyndon Johnson won by 54 votes. And he got the nickname "Landslide Lyndon." We have Mr. Wynn next. He had a little bit of a tussle last week, but he did win. And so, I want to recognize "Landslide Wynn" for any opening statement that he wishes .....

Wynn: Well, thank you very much, Mr. Chairman. In fact, they're still counting, but we're quite optimistic. And I did take a couple pages out of Lyndon's book, so if I win, it can be attributed to Texas know-how.

(LAUGHTER)

Barton: I hope not. I hope you win fair and square.

(LAUGHTER)

Wynn: A win is a win.

Matthew Mosk

By Phyllis Jordan  |  September 24, 2006; 6:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Political Punch?
Next: Hillary's Highlights

Comments

Close only counts in horseshoes. By this time next year there will be new people running against Wynn.

Posted by: Horseshoe pitcher | September 24, 2006 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I always heard it as "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades".

Posted by: Pepe le moco | September 24, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Did I read this wrong, or did Wynn just confess to stealing the election? Because that's what LBJ did in '48.

Posted by: Brandon | September 24, 2006 11:23 AM | Report abuse

If that's all the Dems have in their warchest, this is gonna be a great November.

Posted by: BG from PG | September 24, 2006 9:10 PM | Report abuse

'Looks like the tactic of painting Wynn as a Bush-backing "Democrat in name only" didn't work after all.'

If they couldn't make that ploy work in PG County, they've got zero chance of making it float anywhere but the bluest of Blue Counties.

Posted by: Rufus | September 25, 2006 7:55 AM | Report abuse

It's a real shame he won. I think he's kind of a slime ball. Plus his crab feast was awful. Listen Wynn, if you're gonna charge $50 a plate (Though, I got in for free) get some better food.

Posted by: Jason | September 25, 2006 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Al Wynn's days are numbered. Give it another shot in 2008, Donna.

Posted by: Marylander | September 25, 2006 3:03 PM | Report abuse