Steeling himself for the future

Fresh from his loss in the U.S. Senate contest with Rep. Ben Cardin (D), Republican Michael Steele was on CNN with Wolf Blitzer this week talking about national politics, his future and some of the election day shenanigans in Prince George's County.

Steele said he was "getting reacquainted with his wife and the kids" and taking some "down time," before thinking about his next gig. When Blitzer floated the idea of Steele taking a job in the Bush administration, he said he hadn't been approached, but "I'm probably going to talk to them at some point."

Sounding like a political pundit, Steele chimed in on Sen. John McCain filing initial paperwork to run for president and Trent Lott's reemergence as a GOP leader in the Senate.

Throughout the campaign, Steele seized on what he considered racist comments from the Democratic camp in Maryland. But he was more forgiving of Lott, who fell from power after his controversial remarks at Strom Thurmond's birthday party.

"You can't hold stuff like that against him. It was a birthday event, you know," Steele said. "You get caught up in the moment. Folks know where his heart is and I think he's going to be a good leader in the Senate."

Steele also told Blitzer that he had nothing to do with the misleading fliers distributed at polling places on election day that suggested Democratic leaders, such as Kweisi Mfume, were supporting Gov. Robert Ehrlich and Steele.

"At the end of the day, it's silly. And it doesn't really achieve the objectives you want anyway, because people are smart enough to figure it out," he said.

By Ann Marimow  |  November 17, 2006; 12:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The transition gets going
Next: Skyscraper for Sale

Comments

The false and unprovable accusations from the Left can now commence.

Posted by: Rufus | November 17, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

You know what, the fact is Steele and Ehrlich LOST big time in Maryland and I am glad that they did. Steele I dont like the man politically and I dont vote for a candidate because he like puppies or wears nice suits or is Black. Ehrlick..well to be quite honest up until this incident happened I did not have any issue with him. But this attempt to deceive Black voters in Maryland is just the lowest of low. And why the H are all these other BLACK folks from other states that dont even live here getting involved in these races. Thank GOD we showed them that we can make decisions for ourselves by looking at FACTS and ISSUES without these celebrity endorsements. Also, I wonder how Steele cheek is feeling right about now after being B-SLAPPED by the RNC for their Top post. They basically told him to GO SIT DOWN we dont need you now. So it is plan and simple he was being used and now the RNC realizes their SMOKE and MIRRORS act did not work so they are going after the Latino vote in order to bridge the gap they consistently have lost with African Americans. Lastly, we African Americans must now go after the Democrats aggressively in order to make sure our concerns are being heard and most importantly ADDRESSED

Posted by: djiero | November 17, 2006 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Steele sure commands a lot of attention for someone who still has yet to win election to an office as high as local dog catcher.

Posted by: Marylander | November 17, 2006 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I find it pretty amusing how Steele tried so hard to paint himself as a moderate, but now he lost, he's running back to Bush. I know that's not the kind of hypocrit I want for Senate.

Posted by: Matt | November 17, 2006 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Dear Rufus:

You lost. You spent the entire runup to the election claiming that Steele and Ehrlich were going to win, and they got pounded. You have no credibility. Just start signing your posts "Doofus" rather than "Rufus" so newcomers will have an accurate sense of your powers of political prognostication.

Better yet, go crawl back under your rock, and we'll see you in 2010, OK?

Oh, and BTW, there won't be any "unproven" allegations about Steele. Those fliers were paid for by his campaign along with your boy Ehrlich. The lovely Mrs. E was videotaped welcoming the homeless folks from Philadelphia. Liars and cheaters, both of them.

Posted by: Who Won Again? | November 17, 2006 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Rather than spend time talking about matters of no consequence involving persons who aren't in the U.S. Senate, why don't we talk about the lack of accomplishments of consequence for the people of the Washington D.C. suburbs by someone who has been in the U.S. Senate from Baltimore City since l987, Barbara Mikulski?

Posted by: Robin Ficker | November 18, 2006 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I hope you all were paying attention to that last comment from Robin Ficker. Sounds to me like he just declared his intentions to run against Mikulski. Adios.

Posted by: Pepe le Moco | November 18, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

He takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

Posted by: Marylander | November 18, 2006 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting Pepe. What has Ravens fan Mikulski done for us Redskins fans since l987?

Posted by: Robin Ficker | November 19, 2006 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Robin, my invitation to your inauguration as County Executive must have gotten lost in the mail. When is your swearing-in?

Posted by: Pepe le Moco | November 19, 2006 1:16 PM | Report abuse

To Who Won Again, I prefer keeping the handle I'm using as it allows me to determine how nonsensical Leftists are when they discover they can rhyme it with "Doofus" (I had to go with something easy because Leftists aren're very bright).

A tip of the hat to you for being the first Leftist to spell "Doofus" correctly. I guess you remember it from having it written on your high school locker every day.

And I'll be around to laugh at you every day as O'Malley runs the State of Maryland into the ground. Toodles!

Posted by: Rufus | November 20, 2006 8:19 AM | Report abuse

What kind of loser says "Toodles?"

Posted by: Rufus (Doofus) Sucks | November 20, 2006 8:09 PM | Report abuse

What kind of person says Toodles?

The sort of person laughing at his intended audience (meaning you Leftists).

And thanks for the personal attack in clear violation of the guidelines here.

Posted by: Rufus | November 21, 2006 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy your narrow victory Democrats...

Now it's time to stand clear, sit back and watch the train wreck.

It will happen.

...and yes we'll be back in 2010. You can already see the chasm growing in the Left wing of the Party.

Posted by: BG from PG | November 21, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Narrow? Granted, it wasn't as wide as the Casey/Santorum margin, but 53-46 is still a solid thumping.

Posted by: Marylander | November 21, 2006 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Is Steele claiming that no one on his staff or within the republican party of Maryland paid for those fliers, or bringing a bunch of homeless people to PG to hand them out? Last I heard the Steele, Ehrlich campaigns admitted to it on election day and that pursuant to election laws had it written on the fliers themselves. Its illegal isn't it to use campaign funds to print fliers that don't indicate where the money is coming from. Robin you probably actually know the answer to this (I honestly am not being sarcastic, having just run a campaign and being a lawyer I figured you could give us a quick rundown).

The bottom line is that Steele will never ever hold a Statewide office in Maryland. I am sure that his interview came off just as smart assed as the Meet the Press interview that tanked his campaign out did. Honestly Ehrlich, I didn't vote for, but Steele I actively dislike. I'm sorry but as blunt as I can be about it here is to say that the guy is just an unbelievable phony.

Anyways, him and Mike Tyson should have lots of time to catch up out in Potomac, they can both complain about how misunderstood, and misrepresented they are.

Posted by: DCDave | November 21, 2006 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah and one more thing, I would bet a gazillion dollars that at least O'Malley is a Redskins fan. You couldn't be a Gonzaga/Rockville boy if you weren't. My guess is that the first we will realize of this will be him visiting with the Danny during a game next fall. You heard it here first, :)

Posted by: DCDave | November 21, 2006 5:48 PM | Report abuse

53-46 is not a thumping! LOL! A 3% margin is enough to secure a win but just barely.

Posted by: Rufus | November 22, 2006 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Are your subtraction skills failing you? That's a 7 percentage point difference. Thumped. We love our Guv!

Posted by: Marylander | November 22, 2006 10:09 AM | Report abuse