Schaefer's Parting Shots

William Donald Schaefer acknowledges his Anne Arundel County house is crammed with decades of memorabilia. But when he leaves the comptroller's office for the last time Monday, he's taking more with him.

Now, he has to find room for all the artifacts being removed from his Annapolis office. "I'm clearing out everything," he said. "The only thing that will be left are some papers and the stapler, and I might take the stapler."

State Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. is not the only fellow Democrat for whom Schaefer has less than fond words.

What expectations, for example, does he have hold for new Gov. Martin O'Malley? "His beauty and his charisma are his two main assets," Schaefer said.

What about O'Malley's substance? "His charisma and his whatever are his two main assets."

And the transition with Peter Franchot, who defeated him in the Democratic primary, has not been the smoothest. "We have a mutual understanding," said Schaefer. "He stays away from me, and I stay away from him."

Steve Vogel

By Phyllis Jordan  |  January 20, 2007; 7:31 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Cabinet Was Bare
Next: Team Maryland

Comments

Now he and his buddy Ehrlich have plenty of time to sit aound and sexually harass women.

Posted by: MD4BUSH | January 20, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ron | January 20, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

William Donald Schaefer can die and rot in h*ll as far as I'm concerned. I hope he permanently loses his ability to speak so no one will ever have to listen to his cess-mouth.

Posted by: GOOD BYE!!!! | January 20, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of Schaefer's, but still, it's a shame that he couldn't simply bow out with grace and dignity. What a horrible way for him to end his career.

Posted by: Theresa | January 21, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Schaefer tell is like it is -- he's dead on 100 percent about O'Malley. That's the bottom line because WillieDon said so.

Posted by: A1Don | January 22, 2007 6:55 AM | Report abuse

He will earn $165,000.00 per year as a pension. I hope he uses it to move far away.

Posted by: Wasted money | January 22, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

We need more guys like this. I love the fact that he says what he thinks even if it's not popular. I'm tired of all the politicians that will just tell you what you want to hear and then just do what they want and spin it later.

Bend over Maryland, you asked for it.

Posted by: Joe | January 22, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye to the angry & senile Governor of Baltimore! If he had any intellect, he would be making remarks about the swarmy Governor that just got the boot.

Posted by: Don't let the door hit you in the ... on your way out! | January 22, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I look forward to spitting on Schaefer's grave.

Posted by: Loogie | January 22, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope some radio talk show gives Willie Don a regular segment of his own. His commentary should be quite amusing.

I am amazed at the vitriol being spewed at him in the above comments. Why are O'Malley supporters so hateful?

Posted by: Rufus | January 23, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"I love it when Schaefer throws dog doo on O'Malley in public. This is truly priceless."

I agree. Schaefer's a saint, O'Malley sure ain't.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Schaefer will go down in history as a far more effective Mayor and Gov than O'Malley. O'Malley won't even get reelected.

Posted by: robbie | January 23, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

"Schaefer looked over his shoulder and did a double take when he saw a bronze statue of a blue heron still standing on a shelf. "What the hell?" he barked. "I've got to take that bird out of here. That reminds me of Mike Miller. Big ass and small head."

Great stuff, hilarious. Happens to also be true. I also enjoyed his shot at O'Malley. You'll be greatly missed, Gov. Schafer.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 26, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness Shaeffer was around to stop "Green" Glendening's sell-off of the state-owned ICC right-of-way. Glendening's act was nothing but obvious prostituting for environmentalists.

Posted by: CEEAF | January 31, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse