Steele to Lead GOPAC

Former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele will be taking over as chairman of GOPAC, a national organization that trains activists and seeks to field Republican officeholders.

Steele, who ran unsuccessfully last year for the U.S. Senate, will succeed former Oklahoma Congressman J.C. Watts, Jr., GOPAC announced today.

"I intend to take GOPAC back to the message and mission that made it great. We will concentrate GOPAC's efforts on recruiting, training, and equipping candidates across the country to establish and maintain a Republican majority," Steele said in a statement.

Past chairmen of GOPAC include former Delaware Gov. Pete du Pont, former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating, California Rep. David Dreier, Arizona Rep. John Shadegg and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Steele told the Associated Press he also plans to launch a public affairs firm, Legacy Strategies, and write a book about his 30 years in politics.

He said he will decide whether to seek elective office again based on the mood of voters.

"I'm not interested in another quixotic run where I get slaughtered just to prove a point," he said.

By John Wagner  |  January 25, 2007; 10:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Same Backers, Different Horse
Next: Gansler taps Montgomery Pol to Protect Consumers

Comments

Trains activists, huh? Is he going to arm them with trash cans? The Trash Can Commando School.

Posted by: PLEEZE | January 25, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PLEEZE | January 25, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Ooops, I did a Stick.

Posted by: PLEEZE | January 25, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Given Mr. Steele's phenomenal abilities as a great manager and a tactful politician, in addition to also being a master brown-noser, I am sure he will succeed just as well as he did as the Senatorial Candidate in Maryland in the past election. God bless him and his fellow GOP-ers of this nation.

Posted by: snandy | January 25, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, his true "colors" come through, even if they were abundantly clear during the election. Mr. "I'm not really a mean-'ole republican - I'm one of you!" will get to help sneak more cavemen and women onto school boards and city councils.

Posted by: Md Dem | January 25, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Trains activists:

Recruiting/Paying the Out-of-Town Homeless to Appear to Campaign for Opponents 101

Ethics 101 - Cancelled because of philosophical differences

Posted by: Duh! | January 25, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Great commentary people. Keep up the hate in the name of liberalism.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 25, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes, his crack team of homeless mercenary republican's will be sent everywhere and anywhere at a moment's notice.

Now I know what they meant when they said 'silent majority' it meant something we never knew most homeless guys are George Bush and Michael Steele republican's.

Actually its too bad, I was hoping he would guarantee the Dems another easy win by sticking around maryland.

Posted by: DCDave | January 25, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Steele could partner with Fenty and provide jobs for DCs homeless.

Posted by: Win-Win | January 25, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Hatred and racism, it's what the Left has for breakfast.

Posted by: Rufus | January 25, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Steele's first order of business will be to set up a GOP puppy mill.

Posted by: Loudoun Voter | January 25, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Ah! He'll train puppies to be activists! Clueless Minds with Warm Noses 101.

Posted by: Einstein | January 25, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Well, what the condition of the Prince George's County Republican Party after Steele ran it?
Moribund.
What the condition of the Maryland Republican party after Steele ran it?
Near moribund.
I guess we will see more of the "We R Not Slaves" signs that sprouted up in the poorer sections of Prince George's County the day before last election.

Posted by: THarris | January 25, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Yea, just let Steele peddle his "WE R NOT SLAVES" campaign in other areas of the country. He may not get a very warm reception from his fellow brothers (and sisters).

Posted by: We shall see | January 25, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Libby also directed her to ask the CIA which journalists were calling with questions about Wilson's Africa trip, then personally telephoned at least one in an attempt to influence the broadcast.

Posted by: corbett | January 26, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

oops. that's not what I wanted there...

here's my comment...

Steele says "I'm not interested in another quixotic run where I get slaughtered just to prove a point."

Well, it's good he's come around to the point that he didn't lose by a little, but by quite a bit. Now if only republicans in MD and some in the media can open their eyes and see it wasn't even close. Hopefully Steele will do for national republicans what he was able to do for MD republicans. Oh yes, 2008 is looking to be another great election year!

Posted by: corbett | January 26, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

This is what I despise about politics and the people who are passionate about it. They can't disagree with someone without attacking them personally. I'll bet none of you have met Michael Steele or his wife Andrea, or his kids. There are real flesh and blood people on the receiving end of your hate and sarcasm, and they've done nothing to harm you. Why the knives?

People ought to remember that politicians are human beings just like us, and we ought to consider how well we'd fare if we had our lives put on public display. I ran for office for the first time in my life this past year, and I have a renewed respect for all political candidates regardless of party.

Politics aside, Michael Steele is one of the most genial, gracious and charming people I've met regardless of political persuasion, race or pet preference. When we crossed paths, he always had time for me and my family, and on one occasion he made my mother, who was visiting from out of town, feel like a queen even though he had just met her. He has a way of making everyone around him feel welcomed. I wish him well.

Posted by: Ron | January 29, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

You know what I'm sure Michael Steele is a nice guy that much comes off, no one is questioning 'what kind of guy' he is, and there isn't one personal attack on this thread. Every single one is about something that happened publicly in the last election and thats total fair game.

I'm happy he made your mother feel like a queen, I'm sure Bill Clinton, Martin O'malley, George Bush or any competent politician would do the same. But that to my mind doesn't determine who I want to vote for.

Also Rufus I didn't see any racist comments on this board, if you feel someone is using racial slurs against Mr. Steele here you should notify the moderator and have that user banned!

Posted by: DCDave | January 30, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Dear Ron,
I remember Mr. Steele from his days running the altar server program at St. Mary's Church in Landover Hills. Which makes his willingness to keep silent when people lie or mislead for his benefit inconsistent. For example, he allowed radio announcers, news reports and ex-Gov Ehrlich and crew to lie and claim that he was "pelted" by oreo cookies that "were as thick as locusts" (so thick that they left no crumbs in the debate hall.)

Posted by: THarris | January 31, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

DCDave, do you really think that the racist Left can only be identified by their racial comments? Take a look at what they do with public schools in majority African-American districts and you'll see true racism in action.

Posted by: Rufus | January 31, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

corbett, I thought you didn't make any mistakes, yet you're posting on the wrong blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 31, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse