Write Your Own Caption

Governor

omalley.jpg

This is your chance to play newspaper editor. The photo above was taken of Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley (D), his wife, Katie, and other luminaries sitting in the gallery as guests of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi at President Bush's "State of the Union" speech last night. Suggestions are welcome in the comments section.

By Phyllis Jordan  |  January 24, 2007; 12:06 PM ET
Categories:  Governor
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Perez, Lyons join O'Malley team
Next: Same Backers, Different Horse

Comments

I could be saving a bundle of money on my car insurance.

Posted by: Zoning | January 24, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Damn, O'Malley has a nice haircut!

Posted by: G-man | January 24, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"This opera is really boring."

Posted by: BF | January 24, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"Please God, let there be some crazy sex scandal in this administration in the next two years..."

Posted by: Lelu | January 24, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Wake me in 2008.

Posted by: Tomcat | January 24, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Che, take your propoganda somehwere else.

Posted by: Leave! | January 24, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"George W. Bush today announced that he had patented his speaking voice as a sleep aid. Here are some of the early and encouraging results."

Posted by: ha | January 24, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and gentlemen, the gas leak should be repaired shortly.

Posted by: SMACK | January 24, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I think that we should all sleep on this!

Posted by: that's funny | January 24, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Georgie, wake me up before you go-go.

Posted by: HP | January 24, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Following a big dinner at Ben's Chili Bowl, Adrien Fenty wonders if those around him recognize him as the culprit of the notorious "silent but deadly"

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

.....mmmmmmm..... yessssssss...... health care employer tax deduction caps..... let me close my eyes and imagine such a nirvana.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Newly elected Governor Martin O'Malley and his team demonstrate their interest in "working with Washington to move Maryland forward"

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

the chick with dark hair behind me to my right... she just turned and I could see up her skirt.... nice.... oh, wait, she's turning again... another peek..... oh damn... busted. And Katie and the girl's dad all saw me get busted too..... God, I hope this doesn't get picked up on camera.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

You are getting very, very sleepy. When I snap my fingers you will wake up and not remember anything I've said to you.

Posted by: So. Md. Republican | January 24, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

That pink scarf is so tacky.

Posted by: boo | January 24, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I do miss my blackberry.

Posted by: Fenty | January 24, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Two hours after Pasta ala Pelosi, what would expect?

Posted by: darren | January 24, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Unable to find enough supporters to fill the gallery, the White House made arrangements with the D.C medical examiner's office to "borrow" dozens of corpses for a few hours Tuesday night.

Posted by: sick | January 24, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Shaddup already, will 'ya?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

If I close my eyes, maybe it will all go away.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"When you awake, you will feel refreshed, as if you've slept for hours, and you will believe that a "surge" is the best policy for Iraq."

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Same ole stuff; let's Sleep for the union.

Posted by: Darren | January 24, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Folks, the K-Fed concert will be over soon!

Posted by: Oops | January 24, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm just going over my Celtic music in my head. Honest I am.

Posted by: Sue | January 24, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Dikembe Mutumbo?

Posted by: Stanley | January 24, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Dubya Gets an "F" for Creative Speech.

Posted by: Who said what? | January 24, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

My eyes are starting to hurt from keeping them open and not blinking. Maybe if I blink fast enough, I won't get photographed with my eyes shut.

Posted by: jmsbh | January 24, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Sleep of the Union supporters

Posted by: JRW | January 24, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, season five of "The Wire": Tommy Carcetti becomes President.

Posted by: Ara | January 24, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Exhausted from spinning, tap-dancing, and lying their way into office, top Democrats take a much-needed rest.

Posted by: gitarre | January 24, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Not amused by Pelosi's mouth antics, and completey bored with Bush's dancing around the real issues...guests of the newly elected Speaker of the House finally succumb to sleep.

Posted by: KM | January 24, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Phylis, would be interesting to know when this photo was taken. Was it during the speech or during an endless wait for the electeds to arrive and for it to begin?

Posted by: Charles | January 24, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Charles,
I asked photographer Linda Davidson who said the picture was taken about three quarters of the way through the speech.

Posted by: Phyllis Jordan | January 24, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Let's see photos of everyone else sitting in the room. Or would someones favorite politician be busted?

Posted by: Bring it | January 24, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Phyllis. That's hilarious.

Posted by: Charles | January 24, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

SOTU - Feel the Magic!

Posted by: Bill | January 25, 2007 6:00 AM | Report abuse

The guy talking is using too many big words and I'm so bored.

Posted by: Rufus | January 25, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Three quarters of the way through that speech, I was in the kitchen looking for something with caffeine in it. I have a LOT of sympathy for these folks. There's a photo floating around of McCain sleeping, too.

Posted by: Terry in Maryland | January 25, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

When, oh when, will Mr. Dopey finish?

Posted by: Jane | January 25, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

The above individuals need to run the stairs in Cole Field House with Robin Ficker so they don't get tired so easily. Or they could get used to biking the Crescent Trail.

Posted by: Robin Ficker | January 25, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Jane, that's PRESIDENT Dopey, thank you very much!

Posted by: boo | January 25, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

My reaction? The bored faces give away the contempt these folks have for the man speaking. Why did they even go?

Posted by: mocoslacker | January 25, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

mocoslacker, I imagine most people sitting in the room were bored three-quarters into the speech. It was late (by my standards), no one really wants to listen to Bush and his fairytales, and I'm guessing that most people there would rather have been somewhere else (even the Republicans). It would have been funny if at least half the people that was invited didn't show up! Maybe Bush could have contacted Kendall to bus in some standins.

Posted by: Tee-Hee | January 25, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"Speaker Pelosi's guests reflect her interest in bi-partisan cooperation during the State of the Union speech."

Posted by: merzydoats | January 25, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine if everyone fell asleep like O'Malley. What must other nations think of our leaders when they can't have the decency to sit through a 30 minute speech with their eyes open. O'Malley's a loser.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 25, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"Would You Buy A Set of Government Policies From These People?"

Posted by: adr | January 25, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | January 25, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Frustrated by their inability to force President Bush into an immediate cut and run loss in Iraq, Martin O'Malley and fellow Democrats cry themselves to sleep.

Posted by: BG from PG | January 25, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

...or "Martin O'Malley demonstrates what 47% of Maryland voters knew all along...that he has no desire to work with the other party and has no class whatsoever."

Posted by: BG from PG | January 25, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

A mid-winter's night dream?? The Young and The Restless ???

Posted by: jgoodywn | January 25, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

'When I'm President.....'

Posted by: DCDave | January 25, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

And you wonder why young students don't respect their teachers anymore?

Posted by: wbb | January 25, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this sooooo symbolic?? The American public sleeps while all kinds of things are being done in their name. Isn't it time to wake up yet??

Posted by: Yawar | January 26, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

A new sleep aid (Gallery Winky Blinks)was introduced during the State of the Union address AKA GWB Sleepaid.

Posted by: ee | January 29, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

1.This is why we give our politicians their own chauffeurs.
2. I rise before you today to ask once again, if the distinguished gentleman from the Great State of Maryland is prepared to withdraw his legislation that banned caffeinated beverages from the House Dining Room?? Will you yield me a few minutes of, yawwwn, aaahh, Hullo, uh, hullloah--???
3. Having succeeded in the first part of their plot to slip sleeping pills in the water supply to Washington and the federal government, terrorists are now prepared to move to phase two of their nefarious plan, in which they actually take over the brain of the president...oops, that is making a few assumptions....
4. Give me that phone private! Sir, I've tried every line at the White House, The Capital and the Pentagon. I can't reach anyone.
5. Take it to DefCom 4....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: pmf | January 30, 2007 6:01 AM | Report abuse

I could have had a V8.

Posted by: CEEAF | January 31, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

This country will be LUCKY beyond belief to survive just TWO years under the "control" of the Demoncratic Party! The assumption of the Speaker's chair by Ms. Pelosi provided more pomp and circumstance (and reams more publicity) than the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II!

Posted by: woodsman7 | February 5, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I reaaaaaaaaaally need to find a way to get out of here.

Posted by: BlkChinaDoll_69 | February 8, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"If I close my eyes long enough, maybe the Bush administration will just go away..."

Posted by: Michael B. | February 8, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse