O'Malley Prepares for Maryland Tour

With the legislative session and a quick trip to Ireland behind him, Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) will be returning to a campaign-like schedule, crisscrossing the state in coming weeks, aides said, to tout recent accomplishments.

His "tour," as the travel is being billed, will also take him outside of Maryland's borders on Monday, when O'Malley is scheduled to address the Center for American Progress in the District on "data-driven policymaking." As mayor of Baltimore, O'Malley pioneered a program called CityStat that uses statistical measures to hold agencies accountable.

The primary focus of the coming week will be on environmental intiatives that cleared the just-concluded session of the General Assembly. A bill signing ceremony on Tuesday will be preceded on Monday by an appearance in Howard County to discuss open space funding and a boat tour leaving Anne Arundel County on Wednesday to check out Chesapeake Bay oyster monitoring activities.

John Wagner

By John Wagner  |  April 19, 2007; 6:47 AM ET
Categories:  John Wagner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ida Ruben To Be Feted
Next: Mikulski Joins Clinton Team

Comments

I guess all of Ireland's problems have been solved then so he can finally get around to Maryland.

First two things he should fix, keeping voting rights away from felons and not extending in-state tuition to illegal immigrants. His party broke them, he should fixe those first.

Posted by: Rufus | April 19, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

It really frosts my shorts that 50% of my taxes go toward schools in the state and now illegal -- key word here is ILLEGAL -- immigrants can get use the in-State tuition. But I, a native Marylander with great grandparents who came here in 1846 --cannot afford to go to college myself. The cost of tuition is out of reach for most Americans, but boy, do we hand it over on a silver platter to immigrants.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Point of clarification: The illegal immigrant tuition bill passed the House but not the Senate. So it's dead for this year.

Posted by: Phyllis Jordan | April 19, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

But illegal immigrants are still getting a free education in our public schools paid by the taxpayers. Every sign and label is now written in two languages: English and Spanish. If I go to a foreign country to earn a living I would be wise enough to learn the language of that country. I would not expect that country to cater to me, the outsider coming in.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Actually Anon, and all you other nativists, are quite wrong.

I have traveled and worked abroad extensively - counting 40 countries as of this point. Every single country I have ever been to requires their children to learn more than one language before graduating from secondary school (mind you, REQUIRES, to a functional level. Not suggests with elective classes).

Even though I myself am fluent in more languages than just English, rarely have I had difficulty communicating with people in my native language when abroad.

It seems that only Americans believe that everyone should speak our language, but we have no need to speak theirs.

Here's a thought - try learning a foreign language first, and realize how difficult it is, before complaining that a recent immigrant (legal or otherwise) hasn't learned English fast enough for your needs.

Posted by: mdhawk | April 19, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Actually mdhawk and all of you other internationalists are quite wrong.

The reason why you will find all of those nations in Europe teaching additional languages is due to the fact that Europe is comprised of many small nations with respectively small populations all speaking different languages. One can hardly travel far there without needing to speak a different language.

This was never the case in the United States with our legal citizens numbering nearly 300 million. We enjoy the ability, for example, to print a textbook in one part of our nation, knowing that it can be read in every part of our nation. Could any similar sized population in Europe make the same claim (using any language OTHER THAN English, of course).

How much money do we save every year by not having to translate everything we say or do into umpteen additional languages (except in those cases where the Leftists have mandated it for the benefit of others)? That money goes back into our economy which is why folks want to come here to work instead of joining unemployment lines in Europe.

And your suggesting that we spend the time, money, and effort to learn another language just so that we might better understand the challenges experienced by people illegally in our country just proves to us "nativists" that our time, money, and effort would be better served by deporting people illegally within our borders. Thanks for the motivation!

Posted by: Rufus | April 19, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad you're motivated Rufus. Frankly, I would be shocked to find you actually doing something about it other than writing your little snippets.

If you actually bothered to read my post, you would have seen it has nothing to do with illegal immigration, but simply the concept of learning foreign language both for Americans and for immigrants learning English (there are plenty of legal immigrants in this country that don't speak English yet, or, depending on their age, may never speak it well, but do try to learn).

And actually, I wasn't referring to Europe, though it is true that the people in Europe usually learn and are fluent in 3-4 languages each (including English, which is not the official language of any country on the mainland of Europe). I was referring to Russia (a country with a 300 million per population and an official language), India, China (where foreign languages are still not totally pervasive, but its growing), Japan, Afghanistan (where I ran into people who speak Dari, Farsi, Pashtun, English, Russian, Hindi, Urdu, etc.)

There seems to be a mental block amongst you "nativists" that someone learning a foreign language demeans you somehow. However, there isn't a single medium-sized company in this country that isn't suffering if it doesn't have multilingual employees.

Welcome to the new world folks. Your cocoon is breaking, so deal.

Rufus, enjoy deporting all of those illegals. When you're done, I have a beach for you to move, grain by grain.

Posted by: mdhawk | April 20, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Mdhawk, America, its way of life and its moral traditions will still be here long after your homeland is under Sharia Law.

Legal immigrants learn English to become Americans so we both know that you were talking about illegal immigrants alone.

Posted by: Rufus | April 23, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse