Bland's Words Echo Kofi Annan's

Anne Bartlett

Prince George's County Council member Marilynn Bland recently touted the "academic journey" that has led her to receive a doctoral degree, including in her news release quotes from the dissertation she said she wrote.

However, the dissertation quotes in the release appear to be copied from a report by former U.N. secretary general Kofi Annan. The degree is the first honorary diploma given by the Springfield Christian College and Theological Seminary, an institution with ties to Bland's top aide that has no government accreditation.

Although the release notes that Bland's doctorate is of "Humane Letters," a designation often used in academia for honorary diplomas, its honorary status is not stated explicitly.

Bland (D-Clinton) did not comment for this report. David J. Billings III, Bland's chief of staff, said despite its honorary status, the doctorate is a "real degree." In an interview, he blamed a 17-year-old intern for writing a news release that attributed Annan's words to Bland.

You can find the full story here.

By Anne Bartlett  |  August 6, 2007; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Rosalind Helderman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Campaign Co-chairmen Announced
Next: O'Malley: Dems Should Be Mindful Of The Center

Comments

Neither Bland, "nor the college would release the full text of her dissertation." Why on earth would Bland dis her own dissertation? Maybe she copied major parts from Kofi Annan!

Posted by: Won't release dissertation/ | August 6, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe the taxpayers of Prince George's County tolerate supporting the plagiarism of young interns. This is crazy.

Posted by: Robin Ficker II | August 6, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Kofi Annan is a gutless coward that could have stopped the genocide in Rwanda but chose to look the other way.

Posted by: BG from PG | August 6, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Councilwoman Bland has issued the following statement:

"Ask not what your Councilwoman has written before, ask what they have written about your Councilwoman. To be accused by the lyin' Washington Post, or not to be accused by the lyin' Washington Post - that is the question! Four score and seven years ago, when I began work on my dissertation, Kofi Annan did not even exist.

I have a dream that one day, this Councilwoman will live in a nation where she is not be judged by her actions but by the content of her campaign accounts. I have a dream . . .

The only thing we have to fear is the Washington Post."

Posted by: Bland Spokesman | August 7, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Blog away, but please don't use my name. Why are you afraid to use yours?

Posted by: Robin Ficker of Robin Realty | August 7, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

If it is an HONORARY degree, then why is there a dissertation? She did not EARN through matriculation. It's not like this degree cometh from a REAL school. Gee Whiz!! Who really cares about this anyway? I don't even know why I even wrote in. Boredom, I guess.

Posted by: Denni Macklin | August 10, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm sad to admit that I live in her district. This article seems be typical of Mrs. Bland's attitude and actions. As a constituent in her district, I wrote a letter to Mrs. Bland addressing my frustrations that she would endorse Michael Steele's run for U.S. Senate as Marilynn Bland, Prince George's County Councilmember instead of Marilynn Bland, Prince George's County Resident. My problem was that Mrs. Bland did not address her constituents to explain her position and reasons for endorsing Mr. Steele. As my elected representative I felt that Mrs. Bland could explain to us her thought process.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Bland's response to my e-mail has never come.

This article is sad in that it is casting a light on Prince George's County that we have leaders in place that we have leaders within the County whom are deceitful in their actions and unwilling to address issues and problems as they arise. For Mrs. Bland and the people under her to try and pass this off as the mistake of a 17 year-old intern is unbelievable.

Since I did not vote for Mrs. Bland on November 7, 2006, I only have my fellow residents of District 9 to thank for the ineptness we have representing us.

Mr. Prince

Posted by: Mr. Prince | August 13, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Marilynn Bland is an embarassment to the word "representative." She is corrupt, ignorant, and incompetant. This story doesn't surprise me. It's barely even a real school.

Posted by: Bland sucks | August 14, 2007 7:11 AM | Report abuse