Discrimination Against White Republicans?

Are white Republicans in Maryland a protected class? A judge will decide.

A former state employee who is suing the O'Malley administration to get his job back claims that one of two things caused his sudden termination from the Department of General Services in June: His comments to a reporter or his status as a white Republican.

An administration spokesman denied that Nelson Reichart of Towson was fired improperly.

Reichart, a former assistant secretary for real estate at DGS, claims in his lawsuit in Baltimore County Circuit Court that he lost his job with no notice a day after he was quoted by the Baltimore Sun describing state procedures for buying land. The deal in question was a controversial state purchase on the Eastern Shore.

Reichart also says his party affiliation might have caused his firing and those of five other white Republicans who have been ousted from high-level jobs in the agency since Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) took office in January.

"I have no way of ferreting it out," Reichart, 59, said yesterday of the reason for his firing. He acknowledged that he was an "at-will" employee, who could be let go by any administration, but he noted that he had served under six governors.

The lawsuit contends that race played a role in his firing, which occurred after a black Democrat, Alvin C. Collins, was appointed by O'Malley to lead the agency. Reichart said he was replaced by a black man. Another one of the fired Republicans was replaced by a black woman, the suit states.

"It's the reality," Reichart said.

David Humphrey, a spokesman for the General Services Department, said the agency "acted legally" in firing Reichart. "The state will defend the lawsuit," he said.

Last month, when Reichart's firing was first reported, Humphrey said that Reichart's comments about the land deal were not related to his firing.

By Lisa Rein  |  August 31, 2007; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  Lisa Rein
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O'Malley's Children Share The Spotlight
Next: About the Writers: John Wagner

Comments

The Black Democrats just can't appreciate the hardships associated with being a White Republican. They think we have it easy, but I have a tale that will send a chill down anyone's spine. One time I saw a Hispanic fellow approaching my Lexus, and I panicked. Instead of locking the doors, I popped the trunk! He looked right at my car and laughed, and just kept laughing like some kind of crazy person while I started to open the windows and turn my wipers and hazard lights on until I finally found the locks. I clicked them five times just to be safe! When he heard I was safely locked in, he glanced at my trunk to see if there was anything to steal and then sat down at the bus stop while still laughing. I was able to stop hyper-ventilating once he passed out of my Comfort Zone. Still, I had to drive two miles with my trunk open to a nice neighborhood--one without bus stops--before I felt safe enough to get out and close it.

All the ladies in my Bible Study Group assure me that it was God's Will that I'm even alive today to tell this harrowing tale of being a White Republican.

Posted by: Meredith Winthorpp | August 31, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha ha!, Meredith "Winthorpp"(I am assuming your typing is as bad as mine and that your last name is Wintrop, a fine name with colonial overtones, if not apologies, if so, any relation to the colonial Wintrops?)

Since the fellow admitted he was an "at will" employee he appears to have no protection. Maryland politcs is a contact (some say blood) sport. Even being a black Republican would not have saved him. He should be a man and stand up for his Party!

Posted by: A Hardwick | August 31, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Of course the Left believes it is acceptable to discriminate against those they view as less equal than themselves.

Posted by: Rufus | August 31, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Im not sure of the details here, but anyone who claims this doesn't exist in general is lying to themselves.

Posted by: Reverse Racism exists | August 31, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

of course, if it were a WHITE man who fired the blacks and replaced them with whitey, there would be lawsuits,protest marches, candlelight vigils, "jesse sharpton" angrily calling for justice blah blah blah.....

Posted by: fred | August 31, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

The other day i was being stared at in the mens' room at BWI. A man has a right to tap his foot any place in this free country that Bush and Cheyney both almost died for in Viet Nam.

Posted by: StaunchRepub | August 31, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, if this had been reversed -- a white guy was hired and subsequently fired two black men or, god forbid, black women -- there would be no question in any Dem's mind that the guy was a racist schmuck. I think the difference now is that white people acknowledge they're being discriminated against -- at least to each other, if not in court.

Posted by: Racism is everywhere | August 31, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

What?? It's a white man's world! If a few white males are "fired" to be replaced by black people, so be it. Look at the leadership of any government, Federal and State, and any industry, it's all white males. Cry me a river white male. And I'm white so there.

Posted by: white person | August 31, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

The key word here is appointment. Blacks in Maryland supported O'Malley and Republicans did not. Just because you were kept for 6 terms doesn't mean you have a lifetime contract.

The difference is that Ehrlich followed the Karl Rove plan and fired Civil Service employees, who are supposed to be out of the political arena.

In politics, the winner gets the spoils. You lost. Embrace it. It may be a while.

Posted by: cab5015 | August 31, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Terminable at will is the key word. There is no wrongful discharge in Maryland when one can be fired with or without cause. Any litigation will last indefinitely because the burden on the plaintiff (the terminated employee) will be too difficult to overcome. And let's not even consider a constitutional violation -- I don't sense any discriminatory intent on the part of the O'Malley administration.

Posted by: Crabtree | August 31, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

This was the same argument that the democrats had against Erlich when he became governor of Md and fired democrats. It got nowhere then and it gets nowhere now.

Posted by: gdavis4 | August 31, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Given the incompetence, dishonesty, treachery and violent tendencies demonstrated during these past 6.5 years, any employer with half a wit should fire all employees that are dumb, disloyal, or mean enough to remain rebumblican. It's just good business sense.

Posted by: Marcoloco | August 31, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

US Attorneys can be fired at the discretion of the AG. That hasn't stopped a raft of political with hunting by the Dems. And the Dems launched investigations when they thought Ehrlich was firing state employees solely for being Dems.

Posted by: RL | August 31, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Yet another poor white man blaming his circumstances on a "conspiracy." When will white people understand that if they weren't so lazy and incompetent, we (the black people who rule America) would love nothing more than to give them our scraps? He needs to stop complaining, pull himself up by the bootstraps and get a new job so he can resume his child support payments to Meredith, his "baby mama."

Posted by: B. Whyte | August 31, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

When Ehrlich was removing at-will employees, the Post made it front page news, and as A. Hardwick described it as criminal (four years ago, according to the post, Md. law protected at-will employees from being fired - go figure) as Karl Rove'ish...When O'Malley removes at-will employees, it gets buried in a blog and becomes race-related...Sigh

Posted by: Rich | August 31, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing to add, but I must say all the previous posters have been truly entertaining.

Posted by: Donny | August 31, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Meredith Winthorp?

Hilarious.

TGIF.

Posted by: Donny | August 31, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I like how the Post titles the article "Discrimination Against White Republicans?" as if the very idea is a joke in itself. This shouldn't surprise anyone, however. Hypocrisy is what the Post and the Left specialize in.

Just as it's irrational to prevent a teacher from teaching the natural selection process for reasons of religion, it's just as naive to believe that whites are totally immune to victimization from social engineering or political bias or even outright racism.

I don't know the facts in this case but I do know that it's time that people started standing up and questioning just what the word "disadvantaged" means and who it can apply to. And, yes, that could even translate to a MINORITY Republican in Maryland but I somehow doubt that we'll see the ACLU involved.

Posted by: BG from PG | September 1, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

As an Independent voter who moved to Md ~6 years ago I've become disappointed with the hypocrisy of what used to be reserved for the extreme left and now appears to be par for Mainstream Democrat these days.

The party that says it is the champion of Fairness and Tolerance is now only Fair and Tolerant as long as you don't disagree with them.

Facts and Stats have been replaced by Feelings and Unsubstantiated Opinion...particularly in mainstream media and people are increasingly becoming tired of it.

9 months ago I had great hope for the 110th Congress but 9 months later they have done little but attack Bush and hold ~700 hearings over Political Issues.

I guess I won't be surprised when a lot of incumbent Congress Critters are punted out of office in 2008 for getting absolutely nothing accomplished.....I just hope the American voter stops listening to the BS that comes out of the mouths of the Politicians and starts looking at their voting record before they make a choice in 2008.

What has always made this country great has been our tolerance for others viewpoints and protection of personal freedoms....frankly I no longer see the Democratic Party as the champion of Tolerance of Personal Freedom anymore.

Posted by: JP | September 2, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

It is utterly amazing to hear many O'Malley supporters here now saying that there is no 'lock' on a job. Where the hell were you guys during the witch hunt last administration? Hypocrites.

Posted by: Brad | September 3, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about all of you, but I meet white republicans all the time in the unemployment line. There there in droves picking up unemployment checks and welfare checks. I saw a white man in the unemployment line the other day fretting about how when he lost his job, he lost his frequent flyer miles, his 6 weeks of vacation that he accumulated over the years and had no money to pay the nanny. This is a crying shame. He had to cut back to one steak and lobster a week, and couldn't afford his golf membership so instead he had to go to the local gym to keep active. This is a crying shame, we need to do more to help these white republicans we really do, they are truly suffering.

Let's get real folks, most blacks are Democrats, not to many blacks in MD are republicans. So, when you get a Dem administration of course they are going to satisfy their base with plum jobs. Believe me most blacks were not holding their collective breathes for jobs in the Ehrlich administration. Please. We know better. But it is funny how whites believe that the job is theirs, like they are entitled to it or something.

These white republicans, are whiners, affirmative action babies, who believe they should just get handouts and beleive that they are entitled to jobs becasue by the mere fact that they are white. I agree with B. Whyte, if you work hard, play by the rules and keep a good record you can make it in America just like those blacks in government. Stop using the activist conservative courts to get your way instead of the ballot box. Geez these people like handouts!

As for Ms. Winthorp, I did the same thing except the protagonist was white in Virigina and had a conferderate flag tatooed on his left arm. Oops, I think that was George Allen

Posted by: Jay | September 4, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Jay,

Thanks for confirming that it's OK to be a racist bigot as long as your hatred is directed towards whitey republicans. By the way, open your eyes and look at the estates that the Democrat lawyers running the State House own. Do you think they get by on the 99 cents value menu at McDonalds? 'Fraid not. The Democrats have you right where they want you. Keep believing the BS they're selling you which is nothing more than a crutch to walk with to the corner liquor store.

Posted by: PlayerH8tr | September 4, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

there are black Republicans?

Posted by: MD4BUSH | September 6, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

It's really interesting to see that many of the posts on here seem to be ok with discrimination as long as it's against a white or even better a white male. It just makes it more apparent that RACISM and DISCRIMINATION come in many colors and forms, not just the traditional ways. Anyone that doesn't believe that is either living with their head in the sand or hasn't realized they are part of the problem. I applaud Reichart for standing up and calling it what it is.

Posted by: Stop the Madness | September 9, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse