Same-Sex Marriage Plaintiff Blasts O'Malley

Lisa Polyak, one of the plaintiffs on the losing side of last week's Court of Appeals ruling upholding Maryland's same-sex marriage ban, has some not-so-nice words for Gov. Martin O'Malley (D): He betrayed us.

Polyak has shared with friends and supporters several emails the governor sent her while he was mayor of Baltimore. Polyak says O'Malley's support for gay unions was loud and clear.

"You are most welcome, Lisa," began the then-mayor's response to an October 2004 email from Polyak thanking him for his support for same-sex marriage. "However, I'm just supporting something I strongly believe in. I wish you and your family nothing but the best."

Polyak also released an exchange with O'Malley from August 2005, in which she quotes an interview he gave to the CBS affiliate in Baltimore.

"I'm certainly not opposed to it. I don't see how we can deny governmental protection to those sorts of contracts. I know that churches will certainly have different views. And that certainly is their right and no one should infringe on that. But ... I'm not opposed to civil marriages."

After last week's ruling, the governor said he backs civil unions, not marriage, as a compromise.
"It is time to shed a bit of truth about the depth of the hypocrisy this guy displays to our families," Polyak wrote yesterday in an email to supporters.

O'Malley's spokesman said there is no hypocrisy. "The governor supports equal rights for all Marylanders," Rick Abbruzzese said."He would sign legislation enacting civil unions." The governor, he added, is "unequivocally opposed" to a constitutional amendment" sought by conservatives in the General Assembly that would establish marriage as between a man and a woman.

By Lisa Rein  |  September 25, 2007; 8:55 AM ET
Categories:  Lisa Rein
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Calorie Counting in MoCo
Next: A Hospital Summit

Comments

The people of this state have the right to determine, via the Legislature, which contracts will be enforced by their government and which will not.

The Legistlature and the Judiciary have clearly stated that "same-sex marriage" is not one of those contracts.

Posted by: Another Marylander | September 25, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I don't support gay marriage (civil unions maybe). But I do feel Lisa Polyak's pain. O'Malley has proven many times now that he will say anything to get elected. Good job for calling that wolf in sheep's clothing out.

Posted by: and yet another Marylander | September 25, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I guess O'Malley only supported gay marriage on the down low.

Posted by: He's Just Not That Into You | September 25, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

A politician went back on his word? Say it isn't so!

Posted by: Disgruntled | September 25, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Read the language offered by his staff. O'Malley would sign legislation permitting civil unions, but he's not offering any stronger support than that.

You would think, based on his stated position publically and in his communications with Ms. Polyak, that he would be more of a champion for gay rights. The least he could do would be to introduce such legislation, rather than merely wait for the state legislature to take its own initiative.

If it's a priority for him, he would make it a point to get it done. It appears as though he is willing to disappoint a small, but active, part of his constituency.

Posted by: Bill Baxter | September 25, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't even support civil unions but O'Malley is a sleezeball liberal.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 26, 2007 12:05 AM | Report abuse

While they accuse us of being hateful, they reveal their hatred for us.
--------------
Organizers of San Francisco's Folsom Street Fair -- sponsored by Miller Brewing Co. -- have portrayed Christ and his disciples as half-naked homosexual sadomasochists in the event's promotional advertisement, and the conservative group Concerned Women for America is complaining about the hypocrisy of it.

"The bread and wine representing Christ's broken body and lifegiving blood are replaced with sadomasochistic sex toys in this twisted version of Da Vinci's The Last Supper," CWA said on its Web site.

"'Gay' activists disingenuously call Christians 'haters' and 'homophobes' for honoring the Bible, but then lash out in this hateful manner toward the very people they accuse," said said Matt Barber, CWA's policy director for cultural issues.

Posted by: Another Marylander | September 26, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Well those people that started the lawsuit should had gone to the Legislative body in the first place not to a judge in Baltimore City that had duties in Local matters only not state matters like what is constitutional or not.

Posted by: Unknown | September 27, 2007 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem separating church and state. I don't care whether it is called a union or a marriage, as long as I get the same rights. Frankly, if putting my relationship with my partner in the same category as some of the crazies that post here such as Another Marylander, then I just want a civil union. It's a shame how they have cloaked Christianity in hate and intolerance. Hate has nothing to do with Christ or His teachings, but the love and tolerance in my life reflect the real values of Christ. I wouldn't want my relationship sullied by their "church".

Posted by: CAC in Takoma Park | September 28, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

He learned about justice or rather injustice early in his life. Cesar grew up in Arizona; the small adobe home, where Cesar was born was swindled from them by dishonest Anglos. Cesar's father agreed to clear eighty acres of land and in exchange he would receive the deed to forty acres of land that adjoined the home. The agreement was broken and the land sold to a man named Justus Jackson. Cesar's dad went to a lawyer who advised him to borrow money and buy the land. Later when Cesar's father could not pay the interest on the loan the lawyer bought back the land and sold it to the original owner. Cesar learned a lesson about injustice that he would never forget. Later, he would say, The love for justice that is in us is not only the best part of our being but it is also the most true to our nature.

Posted by: Cesar Chavezz | October 3, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The word "marriage" already has a specific meaning and is an emotional trigger word for a lot of people (about 27% of people in the U.S. supposedly hold fundamentalist religious views, and many others simply find it dissonant to hear the word used in a new way). I suggest the gay community come up with another word, or even use "civil union," if that's acceptable, but stop pushing for the "m" word. I think they would get much farther in their quest for equal rights. I wish you the best, since the religious right still hasn't even allowed females to mainstream.

Posted by: Claire M | October 22, 2007 3:30 AM | Report abuse

qasvtxy dkxzfy knsixr vghcid ybnim nskwxl svqudg [URL]http://www.tjsqudaz.qxtimlk.com[/URL] pdgkycjn acdvzfxe

Posted by: jcpgyko kjbditov | November 4, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse