Moco's Leventhal Injured in Car Accident

Montgomery County Council member George Leventhal (D-At large) is recovering from injuries suffered late yesterday in a one-car accident on the Capital Beltway, County Council spokesman Neil Greenberger said this morning.

Leventhal was en route from Rockville, heading eastbound, when the car he was driving collided with a deer during the early evening rush, Greenberger said.

"The deer came through the window and hit him in the face," he said. Leventhal was able to guide his car onto the shoulder, and no other cars were involved, Greenberger said. Leventhal is hospitalized and being evaluated, Greenberger added.

The accident likely puts Leventhal out of commission for Tuesday's upcoming council votes on the controversial growth policy.

He has been a vocal opponent of several plans being put forward by planning board chairman Royce Hanson, and had joined forces with three other members - Nancy Floreen (D-At large); Mike Knapp (D-UpCounty) and Valerie Ervin (D-Silver Spring), but they have so far failed to muster the needed fifth vote to secure a majority.

Leventhal has said he doesn't think the proposed changes in growth policy do much to manage traffic or school crowding, and that some proposed higher fees and taxes might deter some developers from going forward with their projects.

Greenberger said the council rules will prevent Leventhal from offering a proxy vote that another member could cast for him on Tuesday, should he be unable to attend.

By Miranda Spivack  |  November 2, 2007; 10:36 AM ET
Categories:  Miranda Spivack
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dueling Rallies on Slots in Annapolis
Next: Belafonte Issues Challenge to Local Lawyers

Comments

I like George. He is a very friendly guy. I hope he gets better soon. I like deer too and wish the county would stop trying to kill them all in Boyds where I live. I'm sorry George and the deer had to meet in this way.

Posted by: Robin Ficker of Robin Realty | November 2, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, George.

Posted by: BlueGirl1 | November 2, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Councilman Leventhal. Sorry to hear about your accident.

Posted by: lefty | November 2, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

George Leventhal,
Doris and Milt are distressed about your injury.
Recover fast.
Doris and Milt Minneman

Posted by: minnemmj | November 2, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

George, please take care and get well soon friend. I'm glad to see that even though you are injured, your spirits are still high.

To all other readers, I ask that you leave a short message of support for George here. I'm sure many of George's friends/family have seen this blog post. But we need each one of you to leave a 1 or 2 line note expressing your well wishes.

Posted by: Saqib Ali | November 2, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

my prayers are with you in your time of recovery Councilman

Posted by: nealzonwheelz | November 2, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Sending thoughts and prayers to George for a speedy recovery.

Posted by: Ryan Spiegel | November 2, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, George! My family and I will be thinking of you.

Posted by: Ben Moskowitz | November 2, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

George-

Here's to a speedy recovery. I know you will be back in your chair doing the work of the people soon.

Best,
Marc

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, George! We're all thinking of you

Posted by: Jeremy Sherer | November 3, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

George, I am so sorry to hear of this terrible accident. My husband, Doug, and daughter, Shosh, join me in wishing you a very speedy recovery. Our thoughts are with you, your wife and sons. Our very best.

Posted by: Stacey Gurian-Sherman | November 3, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Get well! Our prayers are with you.

Posted by: Jeanne Taylor | November 3, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, George. I was very sorry to hear. Glad you weren't on your scoot.

A fellow scoot enthusiast

Posted by: Patti ghezzi | November 3, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

The Astrove family sends our best wishes for a very speedy recovery.

Posted by: Lyda Astrove | November 3, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

George,
You've had your fill of hospitals this year! Warmest wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Posted by: Sandy Zimmet | November 3, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

He is my older brother and I love him. His support in the community is a matter of great pride in the family. So glad he's skated the razor's edge on this one and come out pretty much fine. Hoping all the reconstructive surgery to come goes o.k.
james
Oakland, CA

Posted by: James G. Leventhal | November 3, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

George,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bob

Posted by: Bob Goldberg | November 4, 2007 6:23 AM | Report abuse

George: Best wishes for a speedy recovery from all of your neighbors on Piney Branch Road! I was very upset to hear about your accident, appreciate how hard you work for this community, and hope you are back home soon.

Posted by: Diana Vidutis | November 4, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Environmentalists need you!

Posted by: Molly Hauck | November 4, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Neighbor,

The Jackson-Mays are all pulling for your speedy and full recovery.

-Lisa

Posted by: Lisa on Baltimore | November 4, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

George,

I was shocked to learn about your accident and wish you a rapid and complete recovery. You have my respect for all you do to serve our entire population and I hope to see you back in action on the Council as soon as possible.

Ironically, I had watched a program on channel 6 about what to do if faced with a deer suddenly appearing in front of you. From the report i read, and the instructions I heard, your actions most likely protected others from harm.

Posted by: David Richman | November 4, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

So sorry to hear about your terrible accident, George. I wish you the best for a full and quick recovery.

Posted by: Amy Turim in North Takoma Park | November 4, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Councilman Leventhal,
I pray that you have a swift recovery from your accident. I hope the injuries were only minor, considering the details of your accident.
Get well soon!!! :)

Posted by: Andy Jupin | November 4, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Our very best wishes for your speedy recovery. You are greatly to be commended for getting your car to the shoulder and managing not to involve any other cars! I trust that you'll soon be back at 100 Maryland Ave.

Anne Ambler & John Fay

Posted by: Anne Ambler | November 4, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I was so sorry to hear about your accident but glad to hear that you are not seriously hurt. I know that your shining face will be back to the County Council soon. Take care of yourself.
I know that you also feel sorry for the deer.

Posted by: Aleen Starkweather | November 4, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Dear George, sorry to read about the accident. Hope you recover soon.

Years ago I hit a deer in my old VW. I was not injured, but traumatized. I kept having night mares about "what if."

Someone suggested that I write the experience
down on paper - exactly what happened. It helped me to recover. No more "what ifs" - only the actual facts of what happened.

Posted by: Jim Fary | November 4, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Wishes for a speedy recovery.

--Bill Jacobs and the Montgomery Green Democrats

Posted by: Best Wishes, Councilman | November 5, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Could be an omen.

Posted by: Karma | November 5, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I just learned of your accident. I am praying for your speedy and complete recovery.
Blessings and Peace,
Rev. Paulette Stevens

Posted by: Paulettte Stevens | November 7, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

George: All the best for a speedy and complete recovery from your unfortunate accident. From the Executive Board of the Greater Goshen Civic Assocation

Posted by: Greater Goshen Civic Association | November 8, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Very sorry to hear of the accident, I hope you are ok, old friend.

Posted by: Matt Shaw | November 22, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse