Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Montgomery Expects More School Money

Governor

Montgomery Council officials expressed bewilderment yesterday over an initial allocation of school construction funding included in Gov. Martin O'Malley's proposed capital budget for next year: about $20 million.

That was more than any other Maryland jurisdiction received but still a far cry from the $55 million that County Executive Isiah Leggett (D) and Montgomery lawmakers are expecting next year in exchange for some delegation members' support of O'Malley's agenda in November's special session.

Leggett was sure enough of the figure that he alluded to it in his State of the County address last month, saying he anticipated Montgomery receiving "as much as $55 million" in school construction money from Annapolis.

The process for divvying up school construction dollars in Maryland is convoluted and far from done. On Wednesday, O'Malley (D) proposed spending $333 million next year, but he spelled out where only $225 million of that should be spent. The remaining $108 million still needs to be allocated -- a fact O'Malley noted in an interview yesterday.

"We're not done," he said after an event in Baltimore County at which he promoted his $333 million proposal. "We're only midway through the process."

Asked about the $55 million figure cited by Montgomery officials, O'Malley said: "That's their goal, and I'm going to do my best to get to it."

Leggett said yesterday that the initial $20 million included in O'Malley's plan "would not be consistent with what we expect."

"I'll have to talk with the governor to find out what that means," Leggett said. "We made a very strong case for that. He understands that."

Leggett spokesman Patrick Lacefield said the county had expected more than $20 million in the first round in order to meet the $55 million mark by the end of the process.


-- John Wagner and Ann E. Marimow

By Phyllis Jordan  |  January 18, 2008; 9:26 AM ET
Categories:  Governor  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mfume Endorses Edwards. But Not 'Till Next Week!
Next: The Week's Winners and Losers

Comments

The deciding vote in the State Senate in favor of all the tax increases was 24-23 with the deciding votes coming from Montgomery County which gets back 25 cents for every dollar it sends to the state. And the 25 cents was just a promise. The tax increases were a fact. Just ask my state senator Rob Garagiola who was the deciding vote in favor.

Posted by: Robin Ficker Broker Robin Realty | January 18, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Montgomery Expects More School Money"

The Post could save some time and run this headline 365 days a year.

Posted by: Baltimoron | January 18, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company