Democratic Leaders: Md. Remains Relevant

"We hope both campaigns are active in the next week," said Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. (D-Calvert), who appeared alongside House Speaker Michael E. Busch (D-Anne Arundel) and Maryland Democratic Party Chairman Michael Cryor, at a news conference called by the party to tout the state's relevance in the primary process.

According to exit polls, 58 percent of Maryland's voters in the 2004 primary were women and 22 percent of voters were 65 or older, demographic groups that have supported Clinton strongly elsewhere. About 35 percent of Maryland's voters that year were African-American, and 8 percent were in the 18-29 age range, key Obama voting blocs.

Miller recalled that Bill Clinton had peformed very well as a candidate in Maryland, and Cryor noted that the state has 99 delegates at stake. They spoke from a podium bearing a placard pronouncing "Maryland Matters."

"Maryland is indeed critical and central to this next phase of the primary season," Cryor said. "After many, many years of being relatively inconsequential ..... Maryland is poised to be a real player."

Clinton was in Virginia this afternoon but sent news releases throughout the day about endorsements she's received from a diverse set of Maryland pols: Among them Montgomery Del. Susan Lee, the first Asian woman elected to the General Assembly; Montgomery Del. Ana Sol Guiterrez, the first Latina to serve in the legislature; and two prominent Prince George's County leaders--County Executive Jack B. Johnson and his predecessor Wayne Curry.

-- John Wagner

By Anne Bartlett  |  February 7, 2008; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  John Wagner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sorensen Campaigns for Obama in Moco
Next: McCain to Speak in Md. Tonight; Ehrlich Joins Him

Comments

"Maryland Democrats yesterday sought to downplay reports that Sen. Hillary Clinton (D) might cede the state to Sen. Barack Obama (D)."

Reports [from unnamed sources]? Is this article about failing to generate a response to speculation "news"? You're capturing interest with a headline and then wasting my time. Sorry to be blunt but if I don't come away knowing there was a point to the articles posted here, I'll look for another political site to browse. Thank you.

Posted by: Donna-San Diego | February 7, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I am making my very first campaign contribution today - to Hillary. I am from Maryland and want her to know I think she's the better "man" for the job.
I have voted since 1974.

Posted by: beverly c | February 7, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in MD and can assure you that HRC will lose big! GOBAMA!!!

Posted by: dab | February 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I am glad Hillary sees that the chorus of chance is also being sung in Maryland just like the rest of America. It about time she back's down and let President Obama take this country to newer heights. Asian and Latinos don't want the best for America anywhere, thats why they vote for Clinton.

Posted by: Mary | February 7, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

It's the Clinton ploy again to downplay expections of a Clinton win and to hype Obama's prospects. This will raise Obama supporters' complacency and dampen Obama's supporters coming out to vote. Then the Clintons pack their older women voters into the booths and claim a HUGE underdog victory! I am a senior citizen feminist, and I abhor the Clintons' divide and rule games, playing generation against generation, ethnic group against ethnic group, class against class, men against women.

Marylanders, please pay attention and come out to vote. Every vote counts!!

Posted by: lin | February 8, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I TOO have made my very first campaign contribution yesterday - to Hillary. I ALSO am from Maryland and want her to know I think she's the better "man" for the job.
GO HILLARY!!

Posted by: ksck | February 8, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Lin,
I am going to vote! To Hillary of course! Obama is good as preacher giving sermons. Hillary will make a good president.
BTW-Mary, I am an Asian American!

Posted by: mediastinks | February 9, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse