Donna Edwards Endorses Obama Too

Late this afternoon, congressional candidate Donna F. Edwards endorsed Sen. Barack Obama (D-Il.) for president, referring to him as a "fellow agent of change."

Edwards' endorsement comes almost a month after her opponent U.S. Rep. Albert R. Wynn (D-Md.) announced his support for Obama. The two are locked in a heated battle for the Democratic nomination in Maryland's fourth congressional district, which includes parts of Montgomery and Prince George's County.

Potentially huge turnout is expected in the district on primary day, in part sparked by excitement over Obama in the heavily African-American district. Edwards' endorsement could blunt the impact of Wynn's own endorsement, preventing him from portraying himself as the only candidate in the race supporting the popular senator. Just yesterday, Wynn predicted the heavy turnout in the race would help his reelection effort.

Edwards' today suggested Obama's message and her own naturally dovetail. "Whether you choose to call it the Chesapeake primary or the Potomac Primary, it is undeniable that voters have an extraordinary opportunity to participate in the tidal wave of change that is sweeping the country and will crest right here in the fourth district on February 12th," she said in a statement.

UPDATE: Wynn campaign manager Lori Sherwood responded: "When Congressman Wynn was chairman of the congressional black caucus PAC, he was urging support of Barack Obama when he was just a state senator. His endorsement of Sen. Obama over three weeks ago was one of conviction, not one of convenience."

By Rosalind Helderman  |  February 7, 2008; 4:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Real Live Candidates' in Maryland
Next: Obama to Campaign in College Park on Monday

Comments

What a misleading headline. I thought this was going to be John Edwards when I clicked in.

Posted by: Ivan | February 7, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes, a very misleading headline. Who the yaaa is Donna Edwards, and why deliberately mislead??

Posted by: karmicat | February 7, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

She's running for Congress in Maryland--which is having a primary Tuesday!

Headline fixed.

Posted by: Phyllis Jordan | February 7, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

It boggles the imagination that an eight-term incumbent dependent on fat PAC checks could picture himself as an agent of change as Obama and Donna Edwards are. Hers is the more natural fit.

P.S. This is the "Maryland Moment" blog. If John Edwards endorsed Obama, presumably it would be on the home page.

Posted by: artbrodsky | February 7, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"His endorsement of Sen. Obama over three weeks ago was one of conviction, not one of convenience."

Does Sherwood mean to say that Wynn's endorsement of Obama, which appeared shortly after Iowa, was one of conviction? If he supported Obama when Barack was a state legislator, what took him so long to endorse? Smells like political calculation to me, especially considering Wynn's whole message is about working across the aisle (read: taking corporate PAC money and voting for Bush's war, the bankruptcy bill, for drilling in Alaska). He's the opposite of change.

Posted by: Cliff McNichols | February 7, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Wynn endorsed Obama when it meant most, before the South Carolina Primary and Super Tuesday. Donna Edwards' endorsement is one of political convenience. She basically supported him when he most viable. Donna Edwards is just trying to boost her support in Prince George's County. Those voters will see past her calculating ways.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Edwards, too little too late. Maryland needs people in Congress who are leaders, not followers. When are you going to express regret over all the "independent<" contributions you wink at? After the election?

Posted by: Robin Ficker Broker Robin Realty | February 7, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Why did it take so long for Ms. Edwards to endorse Obama? It was mentioned that she was politically neutral between Clinton and Obama. It appears that she is siding with Obama now (5 days to the electon)because she may sense that the tide is favoring Wynn in Prince George's County due in part to his endorsement of Obama last month. Ms. Edwards, that sounds kind of skeptical.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Someone handed me an Obama flier at a Metro stop today which had lots of talk about change. Unfortunately, it failed to say what the change would be and it lacked any substance. It went on to say that Obama accepts $0 in lobbying money. That's absolute nonsense. EVERY mainstream candidate has lobbying money in their campaign coffers. I am now turned off by the Obama rhetoric. Real CHANGE will only come when a candidate doesn't talk out of their rear end.

Posted by: What's all the hype? | February 7, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Turns out that the news about Hillary Clinton donating $5 million of her own money while her senior staffers faced a loss of their paychecks may be just a ploy to win sympathy, again.

At first, the news of Hillary's financial difficulties struck me as odd, but not because her outside funds were drying up.

After all, Barack Obama is showing us all that Hillary can't even win a fixed fight, and "smart" money is not, well, dumb.

Still I asked myself, how was it that someone of once modest means who claimed to have worked tirelessly for 35 years ("fighting for YOU!") in the notoriously badly-paid public interest sector had become so wealthy?

Sure there's been some financial scandals.

And as the late Sen. Everett Dirksen used to say, "A million here, a million there --it adds up to real money."

But why focus on the negative? What does the skelton of a scandal or six rattling around in your closet matter, when you have so much experience and a well-tested finger to the wind?

Then, suddenly, a tune entered my head and I thought, maybe if I offered a tailored version of it to the Clinton campaign, they'd use it to replace that awful Celine Dion song that used to be Hillary's campaign anthem.

(Ya know, 99.999 percent of those recently surveyed also say they prefer the Obama Girl to that uni-sex Hillary Eunuch that popped up trying to imitate her.)

Anyway, compensation shouldn't been a problem, if the most recent report that Hillary is back in the pink of financial health is true.

For sure, I wouldn't ask what account at Clintons, Inc. the money came from, or which lobbyist forked it over.

(I'm sure if it was the latter it was in a gesture of sheer generosity--why think evil of people, K Street lobbyists have hearts too, no?

(After all, wasn't it those caring medical insurance lobbyists who hired that nice couple, Harry and Louise?)

If you ask me, it's like Bill with that race card thing. How unfair those critics, who you can be sure all belonged to that Vast Rightwing Conspiracy! (And how slick he was, no? ;D )

Always leave just a little wiggle room, small enough to fit the word "is" through. (Or a cigar.)

Anyway, remember that girls' song, "It's My Party," written by Wally Gold, John Gluck and Herb Weiner and recorded by Lesley Gore?

Well how about this version for HRC?

IT'S MY (DEMOCRATIC) PARTY

Nobody knows where my Bill has gone
Monica (Gennifer/Kathleen/Paula/etc.) left the same time
Why was he holding her/their hand(s)
When he's supposed to be mine?

It's my Democratic Party, and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
You would cry too if it happened to you
(For that's what victims do-o-o-o).

Playin' my constituents, flip-flopping like a Wallenda,
Leave me alone for a while
'Till Bill's dancin' with me
I've got no reason to smile

It's my Democratic Party, and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
You would cry too if it happened to you.

(lead break)
Monica (Gennifer/Kathleen/Paula/etc.) and Bill just walked through the door
Like a queen(s) with her/their king
Oh what a Dogpatch surprise
Monica (Gennifer/Kathleen/Paula/etc.) is/are wearin' his ring(s)

It's my Democratic Party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
You would cry too if it happened to you. ...

Posted by: Martinedwinandersen | February 7, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, Mr. Wynn was supporting John Edwards for President for months before he switched to Obama. Look for the Ezra Kline article in the American Prospect that refers to this relationship.

Posted by: Andrew Kujan | February 8, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm a big Hillary Fan and a Donna fan, but what does Emily's list have to say about her endorsement? I've seen the head of Emily's list hand in hand with Hillary at events, this news would probably piss her off.

Posted by: Emily's List | February 8, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

WaPo endorses Edwards(Donna).

Posted by: Count Bobulescu | February 9, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Will America Reject Experience and "Gamble" on Change?

If we accept Change, and Barack Hussein Obama fails, it would be a total disaster. A DECADE+ of FAILURES! (Bush 8 + Obama 4)

BTW: Our President will have to get us out of the recession, too.

Posted by: PDC | February 10, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse