Huckabee Tells Supporters to Ignore 'Beltway Babble'

An enthusiastic crowd of nearly 1,000 people greeted former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee today at the University of Maryland, where the presidential hopeful urged supporters to ignore "Beltway babble" about the Republican race being over and vote for him on Tuesday.

"Somebody forgot to tell you guys that there aren't any Republicans in Maryland," Huckabee told a crowd gathered at a student union on the College Park campus, which is hardly known as a cradle of conservatism. "This is incredible. ... I'm energized by you today."

Huckabee did not mention Arizona Sen. John McCain, the GOP frontrunner, by name during a speech in which he touted his plans to abolish the income tax and spoke at length about his humble upbringing.

Addressing an audience dominated by college students and young families, Huckabee made it clear that he is not willing to concede Tuesday's primaries in Maryland, Virginia and the District.

"This campaign is not over," Huckabee said. "You have a right to make a choice."

Huckabee, whose base in early nominating states has been evangelical Christians, largely emphasized economic issues and argued a Washington outsider would be best-suited to lead the country.

"If the solutions were to be found in Washington, they would have already done it," Huckabee said.

Registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by about 2-to-1 in Maryland, and Tuesday's GOP primary has received less attention than the Democratic contest between Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York and Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois.

Joining Huckabee on stage today were Maryland House Minority Whip Christopher Shank (R-Washington) and Del. Tony McConkey (R-Anne Arundel).

By washingtonpost.com editors  |  February 9, 2008; 1:55 PM ET
Categories:  2008 Potomac Primary , John Wagner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Plans Md. Appearance on Sunday
Next: Wynn Robocalls Target Edwards' Past Tax Liens

Comments

After watching the CPAC speech this morning I have nothing say but WOW. Why has the establishment brought out the knives for this guy? He should have been the nominee weeks ago - and probably would have if the establishment hadn't been determined to anoint Romney. What a bad decision. If we lose in November I will have to blame every talk show host and Republican party "boss" who insisted we vote for their guy. Why? Romney never stood a chance. If our leaders hadn't been so blind, we might actually have picked a winner and had a chance of winning in November. Now, we'll need a miracle.

Posted by: lynne | February 9, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Gov. Huckabee is the candidate that I can point out to my kids and say with pride "look, there is our President."

Posted by: cons3rvative | February 9, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Lynne. WOW. Huckabee is good. I for one still think he has a chance -- especially if he can get to the convention and make a speech like that.

Posted by: Jake | February 9, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Gov. Huckabee is the candidate that I can point out to my kids and say with pride "look, that guy thinks dinosaurs were pets 4000 years ago".

Posted by: PetDino | February 9, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

As a Senate candidate in 1992, Huckabee told the AP in a questionnaire that "we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague" if the federal government was going to deal with the spread of the disease effectively. "It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents," he said then.

Posted by: Visit HIV-Ville | February 9, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

People should give consideration that 27 states, districts, and territories have not yet voted. Do you think maybe they should be given an opportunity to take part in the election process?

Mike Huckabee has more executive experience than any candidate running, Republican or Democrat. He was re-elected Governor of Arkansas until his term limits expired and he was their Lt. Gov. prior to that. He was named one of the BEST FIVE GOVERNORS IN AMERICA by Time Magazine. He is for real and he is authentic. We will be voting Mike Huckabee!

Posted by: believehuckabee | February 9, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

===

What is he doing? Mining??

Posted by: Ha Ha | February 9, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

There were defintely not anywhere close to 1,000 people there today. I was there, and I would say anywhere from 300-400 people at most. Most of the people, just like me, went just to see him and have no intention of actually voting for him. It's time for him to drop out.

Posted by: Joel | February 9, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Great candidate - Great man. Can't wait to cast my vote for him this Tuesday!

Posted by: Michael Litz | February 9, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow! A President who doesn't believe in evolution. Maybe we'll finally stop wasting money on finding cures for mutating germs like staph infections, since that obviously can't happen.

Posted by: old white male | February 9, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. one can be critical of huchabee. certainly he has not yet saved our nation. but his words from the heart deserve consideration. for he stated a blunt truth. washington, the senators, both democratic and republican, have not solved anything. i like obama. good man. hillary will do anything to win. anything. can you conceive her ever conceding defeat even if she was rejected. no. so it is the best of 2 men. obama or huckabee. i think i could accept either one, as different as they are. true americans. sincerely written.

Posted by: arthur fleming | February 9, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we picked up on Huckabee at the debates, when they allowed him a few seconds. He did a fantastic job as Governor of Arkansas. And yes, the media elites, both liberal and pseudo-conservative ignored him, lied about him, and told us it was over; we citizens of later primary states should just forget about voting for Huckabee--a total attempt to dis-enfranchise us. But we say, "Give Hope a second chance; vote Mike Huckabee!" Oh, wow, I just heard Obama making a speech in which he has "adopted" Huckabee's ideas! Purest form of endorsement! Go Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Marilyn | February 9, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

We were there today and we can honestly say that there were easily 1000 people there. They were actually expecting less and had to expand the room and open side doors so that everyone could at least hear. We got there at 12:05 and had to stand in the door at the back. Mike Huckabee can win...his numbers have increased consistently..as more people hear him and realize the media is lying about him they wil realize that God may be raising him up for such a time as this in our nation's history. Because, seriously, our nation is on it's way out if we don't deal with some of these very issues that Huckabee is addressing!

Go Huck!

Posted by: MD Family | February 9, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as a Democrat and someone who graduated high school, I have some real problems with Huckabee. The so-called "Fair Tax" is ridiculously unfair and would set this country back 150 years. Huckabee's denial of evolution is scientifically AND theologically unsound and, I suspect, more unprincipled pandering than actual belief.

Nevertheless, Huckabee is a breath of fresh air compared to anything that's come out of the Republican Party for years. He should keep going.

Never

Posted by: mnjam | February 9, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Mike's speech to CPAC was stunning. As a Texan I truly appreciate the idea that my vote can still count. I believe in miracles, too. If Mike is God's man for this time, MD family, He certainly can cause things to fall into place if we don't lose faith.

Posted by: Miss Vicki | February 9, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting. Especially this chart (within link below) from a week ago, showing how his web page was beating all other candidates in the number of visitors:

Posted by: davidmwe | February 9, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Go Huck!

Posted by: MD Family | February 9, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

That's right, Mike. Choice is good, as long as it's for you. Better not let women have a choice regarding their own bodies, though, that would just be un-American.

Religion/Sexism 08!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 9, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

You have it wrong about choice. The woman has no choice over the destruction of the body of her unborn child. Your thinking is hypocritcal. Huck is about a choice to make your vote count and it's not about me, it's about the unborn!

Posted by: duranclan15 | February 9, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee's best shot at becoming president is to become McCain's running mate.

McCain is 71, had all those hard years in the Hanoi Hilton, and bouts with skin cancer. A very good possibility he will not be alive in JAN 2013.

Vice President Huckabee could become president Huckabee.

Posted by: wj_phillips | February 9, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Let the American Taliban run their candidate, just as a reminder to America of just how dangerous they are.

Posted by: Phil | February 9, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Vote for Huckabee!!

Posted by: Patrice | February 9, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Mike Huckabee has the integrity, experience, diplomacy and vision
to lead this country. He is a real American, can identify with the average citizen. Ran a business and knows how to manage a budget.

Clinton and Obama are lawyers.They are
all talk and showmanship - superficial. McCain is crass and unprincipled and will be running scared shortly. He can beg but it won't do any good. A vote is a vote is a vote. I'd rather lose with integrity than follow media intimidation.

Vote the man not the media.

VOTE HUCKABEE in your PRIMARY!

Posted by: dcn8v | February 9, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Huck is sweeping Kansas, Washington and Louisiana! McCain can still be stopped.

Romney was never the guy. Time to rally behind Huckabee.

I can just see tommorrow's headlines:

'OBAMA SWEEPS
McCain puts in three strong seconds. All hail John McCain!'

Posted by: OD | February 9, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Religion/Sexism 08!

The wrong choice gets made when women use abortion for birth control, deciding to get rid of the mistake, by killing an unborn child. Fake Obama religion, and sexism '08 surely won't stand up for the rights of the unborn, oh I forgot...that fetus really isn't a human being yet, but what's that we hear at only six weeks of pregnancy...th-thump,th-thump, why? I think it might be a heartbeat! Get real...how can Obama or Hitlary talk about their Faith, and not stand up for the rights of the unborn...sounds phony to me. Go Mike!

Posted by: Larry | February 9, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

mnjam said...

MNJAM...the fact that you speak the way that you do about the fair tax simply proves that you don't even come close to comprehending the Fair Tax, and the fact that you don't understand that evolution can't be supported by fact, but the Bible can be. Look around, study how the planets are aligned, and how nature is SO incredibly set in order; Some catastrophic explosion in the universe, or some blobs banging together did not result in what you see, and the next time that you see a gorilla walking down the street in a 3 piece suit, see if he can carry on a conversation with you. When the Holy Spirit overwhelms your life, you will understand that you truly need Jesus! He created the entire universe!

Posted by: Larry | February 9, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

It matters not who gets the Republican nomination. Either way they'll have my support. But at the end of the day, we need to pick the candidate that has the best chance against the Democrats and their liberal misinformation that's being belched over the airwaves. McCain has the better opportunity. Go McCain!

Posted by: BG | February 9, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

"When the Holy Spirit overwhelms your life, you will understand that you truly need Jesus! He created the entire universe!"

Posted by: OD | February 10, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

First let me say that I'm independent, and I'm leaning toward Obama, please hear me out :-). Huckabee has always impressed me.

He clearly won the last Republican debate and was very well versed and articulate on the issues. Point by point he blew the others away. I think the personal differences between McCain and Romney overshadowed his performance. Which was unfortunate.

I believe his history as a Gov. came out as he expressed the concerns that states have with the legislature that come out of D.C.

Sorry to knock McCain, but I feel enthused and energized after I hear Huckabee speak. Plus I think he is a unifier like Obama, and the way he would go about to move policy through congress is the change that so many American drastically want.

Also, I know I sound cheesy, but as a Christian, I love the man's heart. He seems like a compassionate leader with his finger on the pulse on the people. Its a shame that the Republican party has made him play third fiddle to the McCain/Romney drama. And he plays a mean bass!

Posted by: obama08 | February 10, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I live in Seattle. Yesterday, I tried to go to the Obama rally. I showed up only a couple minutes late at the NBA arena. There was no way they could fill it. It was already full with 18,000 and there were another 3000 people standing outside waiting to listen on loudspeakers. That night, I decided to go to the McCain rally. His warmup speaker said how large the crowd was. It was about 400.

Now I heard several times about how amazed Huckabee was that 1000 people (3x what he expected) would show up to hear him.

I know we are talking about blue areas in Seattle and College Park, but the gap in enthusiasm at the Democrat and Republican rallies is really notable!!

Posted by: tallguyinwa | February 10, 2008 5:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey tallguyinwa, great point. However, I think that will start to change as now the Republicans have a less cluttered field.

Its been a two person race with Dems for a while now (No knock against Edwards), so the crowds have been bigger.

I'm really shocked at the turnout for Paul, he got 21% of the vote in Wa. It must of have been the Libertarians showing him some love up there. :-)

Posted by: obama08 | February 10, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

While I do want some one leading the country who has a religeous base I question Huckabee who has been shown to have deep ties to a televangelist who misuses donations and lives so richly off the money that donors think is going to help those in need. i.e. this 'person owns 4 planes a water front huge home etc. Pictures speak louder than words most of the time and Huckabee was on TV defending this guy? Not on my vote

Posted by: Eileen | February 10, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

OD said,
"Pardon me, Larry, but I think you should re-check your Bible. I'm just an atheist, but I always thought it was supposed to be God Senior who created the entire universe."
OD, That's what is so interesting about those who claim that God does not exist, they don't even know what the Bible really says. I can give you two scriptures here that will show you something. Remember the part in Genesis that said "Let US make man in our own image"?? Because we are human, and God is infinite we can't understand it, but God has three distinct personality traits, not a three headed God, but He can be in a trillion places at one time, if He wants to. The Jesus part of God created everything;the Jesus part of God was born of the Virgin Mary, HE came and died for you, the Holy Spirit part of God is who is now convincing you that all of this is real. Read the following scriptures; they are talking about the fact that Jesus created everything!!! I pray that soon, you will no longer be an atheist, but that you will come to know God.... personally!
Jesus and God are one in the same!!!
Collosians 1:16
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word(Jesus), and the Word(Jesus) was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him(the Word); and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Posted by: Larry | February 10, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"Huckabee 1858
A Kinder and Gentler Taliban"

Posted by: bumper sticker time | February 10, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

A vote for Huckabee is a vote for Slick Willy, putting him one step closer to putting his hand below the bible, with his wife's above it on Jan 20 2009. Keep it up you Hucksters.

Posted by: Scott | February 10, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scott | February 10, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Washington state GOP has stopped counting votes and declared McCain winner. I don't see any article in Washington post about it condeming the act. It is really suppression of votes.

Posted by: Vinod | February 10, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Before you support Huckabee look at judicialwatch.com. They listed the 10 most corrupt politicians Democrats and Republican for 2007. You will find Obama,Clinton,and of course Huckabee. He received campaign contributions from Rev Copeland who is under senate investigation. READ JUDICIAL WATCH BEFORE YOU SUPPORT HIM.

Posted by: Mike | February 10, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse