Prince George's Council Candidates

Rosalind Helderman

The filing date to run for the County Council seat left vacant with former chairman David C. Harrington's elevation to the state senate has now passed, and five candidates have formally stated they will run.

They are: former Harrington opponent Theresa Mitchell Dudley, former Harrington aide Andrea Harrison, former Johnson staffer Adrion J. Howell, former school board candidate Sherry James-Strother and Edmonston Mayor Adam Ortiz.

James-Strother, a nurse and county employee, ran for school board in 2006.

After much speculation that she would run for a vacant seat on the County Council, school board member Patricia J. Fletcher (District 3) said last week that has decided not to enter the race. Announcing a run would have required her to resign her seat on the Board of Education, with no guarantee of victory in the race.

Earlier, Fletcher acknowledged that she was giving the campaign a lot of thought. But in a telephone interview Friday, Fletcher said the county was "on the brink of having a breakthrough for our children," and thought that she would be deserting her post prematurely if she chose to run.

"I made a commitment to the children of Prince George's County," Fletcher said. "My work is not yet done as a board member."

Voters in Prince George's council district 5 will go to the polls April 1 and May 6 for a special election -- a primary followed by the a general election. The vacancy was created after the Prince George's Democratic Central Committee chose Harrington to fill the senate seat left open with the January death of Sen. Gwendolyn T. Britt (D).

By Rosalind Helderman  |  March 5, 2008; 7:48 AM ET
Categories:  Rosalind Helderman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O'Malley's Approval Ratings Still Lagging
Next: Prince George's Hospital Is Thursday's Focus

Comments

As one who has shaken the hands of voters in every P.G. neighborhood and represented thousands of county residents in Court in the past, I would be very interested to know what the reaction of the council candidates is to the recent Adelphi vs. Broad Acres controversy.

On February 22, the Washington Post ran a front page story which essentially threw Adelphi Elementary under the bus in order to justify a property tax increase in Montgomery County. The article denigrated Adelphi saying Broadacres Elementary in Montgomery County was a better school because Broad Acres had an unlimited budget hiring community coordinators, counselors, and giving teachers a month each year to talk to each other.

My belief is that the Post's emphasis is misplaced. Focus should be on the teacher in the classroom, not on many expensive non-teaching positions and hours.

Posted by: Robin Ficker Broker Robin Realty | March 5, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I'd be willing to withhold my vote for Dudley if you up the ante. How does $15 cash and $7 in food stamps sound? If you agree, please send your phone number so I can call you.
Thanks,
Risor

Posted by: Risor Schein | March 6, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

On February 25th, the Prince Georges' County Educators' Association endorsed my campaign for County Council in District 5 because they recognize my commitment to support quality public education in Prince George's County, Maryland and in our nation. It is time for our County to manage residential growth so we can provide quality public schools without overcrowded conditions, provide enough police officers to effectively curb crime, and by adequately staffing our fire department by utilizing our volunteer service effectively and fully funding the department.

We deserve economic success in Prince Georges as opposed to the economic failure that is evident in looking at Landover Mall, and the Prince George's Hospital Center. We have had successes in the Landover Road Corridor. We worked to raise a blighted apartment complex and replaced it with single family homes, we worked to have sidewalks along Landover Road, and we worked to have the liquor establishments in the community clean up or shut down. Two establishments Rhythms Nightclub and Shorty's Pool Hall are now history. When I say "we" I mean the civic leaders in the Landover Road corridor and the businesses that care about the residents' quality of life. We were even able to thwart off efforts of postal officials to close the Dodge Park Post Office by working with federal officials. The post office was remodeled and reopened.

Working on these issues for the past two decades reflects my commitment to quality of life in the 5th District and in our County. By voting for me, Theresa Mitchell Dudley, the voters of District 5 will have a teacher, mother, and advocate for improving our schools, public safety, and healthcare delivery in our county. For further information voters can visit www.votedudley.org or email me tmdudley@votedudley.org.

I consider being unendorsed by Jacque Chevalier a good thing. He has severe mental illness and needs treatment. He has broadcast emailed unfounded falsehoods demeaning my character and made veiled death threats to me so outrageous that the school board came to my legal assistance. He has been the one initiating threats and defiling my character. He was barred from school board property not I. My only fault in dealing with Jacque was not filing criminal harassment charges. I pray for him and his family. He is a potential powder keg ready to explode at any given minute.

Posted by: Theresa Mitchell Dudley | March 6, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

God bless you Mr. Chevalier. May he give your troubled heart and mind peace.

Posted by: Theresa Mitchell Dudley | March 7, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday Howell was out in full force near the Cheverly metro in a poor attempt to win the votes of this area -- whose residents will most likely cast the deciding votes.

His campaign is the SUV of campaigns-- overkill with fancy flyers, HUGE signs, obvously disregarding the environmental impact and waste of $$$. Makes me wonder if he will be so careless and wasteful of county funds and natural resources!

Posted by: Anon in Cheverly | March 7, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

On March 6, 2008, Progressive Cheverly (PC) hosted a County Council District 5 Candidate Forum. Some very good questions were asked and answered. Members of PC were then invited to vote on a candidate to endorse.

In the final analysis I, not yet a member of PC, thought the most straight-forward, smart and compassionate candidate was Adam Ortiz. I would give Theresa Mitchell-Dudley the second nod for her sensibilities. Just for fun I stayed to see who PC would endorse, and we thought alike. Adam Ortiz is their candidate.

Mr. Ortiz, the youngest of the candidates, has been an effective Mayor for Edmonston, and is a vocal advocate for transparency in government. I hope he wins because I believe that if he wins, we all win.

Posted by: Pauline Schmitt, Cheverly | March 11, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse