Steele's Still Interested

Former Republican lieutenant govenor Michael Steele, an unsuccessful Senate candidate in 2006, is making no secret of his continued political ambitions.

"I'd like to be governor of Maryland someday, if the people will have me," he said last night on News Channel 8's NewsTalk show. "It would be a nice tough fight because Maryland's a tough state. They don't give us Republicans a lot of love."

Steele also said he would look at another Senate race.

Asked if he was interested in running this year in the heavily Democratic Fourth Congressional District, which includes parts of Prince George's and Montgomery counties, he noted that it was too late to get into the race, and added, "I'm going to be busy getting John McCain elected."

By Anne Bartlett  |  March 18, 2008; 9:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Anti-illegal Immigrant Activists vs. Vallario
Next: Service Employees Back Ortiz in Prince George's

Comments

(wow...first)

MD politics will never allow Steele to be governor. Erlich got just the perfect storm (as did Clinton did in '92) of a population that is not happy with the incumbent and a (mostly) incumbent who was running a non-campaign.

A Washington Post story ran in 2006 pretty much sums up the state of MD politics (and why I hate it...). A poll asked MD voters if they were happy with the job Erlich was doing as governor; roughly 80% said yes. Then when asked if they were going to vote for Erlich in the next election, over 60% said no.

Unless Steele can overcome the herd mentality of MD voters, it will just never happen.

Posted by: Byte | March 18, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry Byte, it's not just the MD mentality that Republicans can't get ahead here. What has happened to the Republican party in Maryland is the same thing that's happened all over the country. We've lost moderate Republicans with shrill right wing nuts cases. Steele is the same as all the rest. I've seen him many times on "Real Time with Bill Maher" and he didn't impress me. Repeating Republican talking points about the War going swell and the economy being sunny was shameful. I hope we never elect another Republican governor, but especially Michael Steele (to any office).

Posted by: InMoCo | March 18, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, this is great news!

Michael Steele - please keep running for state-wide offices! Please seal up the Republicant nominations each time! And keep guaranteeing Democratic wins!

Posted by: corbett | March 18, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, Steele proved himself a dirty campaigner and otherwise an "empty uniform" as we used to say. He has not shown that he can bring Maryland anything, except GOP mis-representation.

He should enter another line of work where perhaps he can do some good. As part of the government, he would worsen the existing problems, and bring no real solutions, though I'm sure MD GOP campaign contributers will differ...Steele as Governor would no doubt line their pockets with our tax dollars.

Nothing personal, just observation. If ANYONE has proof otherwise, I genuinely would like to hear their point of view.

Posted by: Donny | March 18, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

you stated a personal opinion about what Steele would do IF he were elected governor, and then challenged anyone to PROVE otherwise. How do you PROVE what someone's intentions are?

Posted by: silver spring | March 18, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I see your point Silver Spring. My view is based on Steele's years as Lt. Gov and based on what I have seen him do well and seen him not do. Clearly, I'm not a fan. He is good at fundraising...not much else (as far as Maryland tax payers go). SO, that is all I have to go on.

My point was: I assume Steele has some supporters out there. I would like to hear from them - again, I'm assuming that they have tangible reasons why they are supporting Steele and I'd like to hear what those reasons are. It was a genuine question, though I admit, it sounded like a challenge. Let's call it half question and half challenge.

Fair?