Johnson's Switch to Obama: What do you think?

Prince George's County Executive Jack B. Johnson, a Democratic convention delegate pledged to support Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, told Washington Post reporter Rosalind S. Helderman yesterday that he thinks Sen. Barack Obama has "in a real sense" won the Democratic nomination and that he now plans to support Obama at the August convention. This is Johnson's second change of heart in the race. He initially allowed himself to be listed as a supporter by the Obama campaign in December, then switched to Clinton in February. Here is Helderman's story.

What do you think about Johnson's argument? Should Clinton's Maryland delegates switch to Obama, in the interests of party unity?

By Anne Bartlett  |  May 13, 2008; 9:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Coming Up in Maryland Politics
Next: Miller: Re-Election Decision Likely On June 4

Comments

This is a sleazy move.

Super Delegates who are uncommitted and those who endorsed Clinton should now endorse Obama.

However when pledged Delegates begin to switch sides, then they are just subverting the will of the electorate. And that's a fact.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 13, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I am trying very hard to write something pithy about our pathetic county executive, but the his actions are just so sad to ridicule.

Then you look towards the horizon and see the crop of losers being turned-out of the County Council by term limits and you realize the future for Prince George's County remains as dim as ever.

Posted by: PG'er | May 13, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Donna Edwards switched to Obama right before her primary. The real news would be if Jack Johnson backed McCain.

The Democratic Party should do away with Super Delegates. Make them all run for the job before the voters. And have winner take all states or at least winner take all Congressional Districts.

Posted by: Robin Ficker, Broker Robin Realty | May 13, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I say take away Jack Johnson's super delegate right. Each year I see this county go down hill -- I agree with the writer before, "pathetic county executive, but the his actions are just so sad to ridicule." Jack Johnson is a racist sleaz -- with that being said if Jack Johnson says he is backing Obama then I would vote for Hillary. Jack only votes because of color not because of his intelligence and knowledge of the candidate. Put him on TV and ask him and intelligent question he probably couldn't answer it. What a joke to think Jack Johnson could ever make a difference.

Posted by: Long Time PG Resident | May 13, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I won't vote Obama. If I can write in Hillary's name, I will. If not, I may vote for McCain or not vote at all. I'm disappointed in Johnson. Glad I don't live in MD.

Posted by: Mary Walsh | May 13, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Johnson was selected by the Maryland Democratic Party as a pledged delegate, no a super delegate. Big difference. SD's can do whatever they want, not pledged. Yes, the rules say pledged delegates can vote for anyone, but everyone knows that's not how it works. You're selected based on your word to be with a candidate, here Clinton. It's a honor to a delegate. If people put conditions a being a pledged delegate, you would not get selected. Johnson lied, it's that simple. Says alot about his character. I would not want to be a fox hole with this guy.

Posted by: David | May 13, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

The first comment above, nails it.

Posted by: Count Bobulescu | May 13, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Residing in PG County all my life was once a proud entity for me ... When Jack Johnson was elected being proud diminished that joy .. his handling of the PG Hospital situation and Harbour project and now switching to Obama should not surprise anyone when you also take into account county services his posture on pertinent issues ..
I am remaining with Hillary Clinton and will be one happy camper when Johnson's tenure is up ...

Posted by: Bonnie | May 15, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse