Should MoCo Restrict Large Vehicle Parking?

Today, Montgomery County officials will consider a parking ban on commercial vehicles, large pickup trucks and RVs on all residential streets and on roads with schools, hospitals, churches or playgrounds.

GaryJean thinks the legislation is long overdue.

What do you think?

By washingtonpost.com editors  |  July 22, 2008; 11:31 AM ET
Categories:  Reader Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leggett Names Climate Change Task Force
Next: O'Malley Welcomes Hearing On "Waste Of Police Resources"

Comments

My goodness! There isn't anything more important for the council to worry about? This type of "nanny state" personal intrusion is unconstitutional, unamerican and offensive.

Posted by: Fed up | July 22, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

The people who want this law don't own those types of vehicles -- right now -- but are ignoring the fact that they might need one temporarily in the future and would then want a place to park it nearby. Also, if workers who operate vans/trucks would have to spend more time getting to their vehicles, they might pass the cost on to everyone else.

For almost any activity, someone thinks it should be banned or restricted. Do you...
...own an SUV/motorcycle/sports car?
...operate a cd player/radio/cell phone while driving?
...drink beer?
...have lawn ornaments/gardens/shrubs/trees in your yard?
...do home improvement projects?
...have house/deck parties?
...own a dog or cat?
If so, how many restrictions would you tolerate on those things? Is it fair to ban something which 51% of people find annoying but 10% find essential?

Posted by: afpre42 | July 22, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the County is prepared to increase the police patrols on the lots, unused spaces, etc that are being considered. How would they like to park a work truck with 5-7 thousands dollars of equipment in an unguarded area? What about the Wanderlodge RV which cost over $500,000 new in an unguarded area?

If you know anything about RVing you see everyday where RV's are broken into on lots and equipment is stolen in areas that require you to park in lots.

Joggers have lots of places where they can jog and not have passing cars dodging them.

The MSN map shows the RV parked in front of the mans house and the only view that is obstructed is his.

I lived in Montgomery County for 36 years and I am now an ex-Montgomery County resident. I moved out partly due to the unfriendliness of the "me first" attitude there.

Posted by: lec | July 22, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The public streets belong to the people. People own the pickups and RV'S. The people should be allowed to park there large vehicles on the street. The council should stop trying to find ways to make peoples life's harder. The only ban that would be a good ban is a ban on any more bans from the council.

Posted by: Robert G | July 22, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

My neighbor has two so-called classic cars sitting on my street. Both are buckets of rust that I've never seen running -- and it's been 10 years.

If they can ban $500K RVs then they can make him take his buckets of bolts to the dump.

Posted by: RoseG | July 22, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this something that should be handled by the local HOAs and condo associations?

If you don't want an RV next door, move into a restricted neighborhood.

Posted by: Herndon | July 22, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

It's just a matter of time before MoCo starts to regulate how you vote and think.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | July 22, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

In response to the "restricted" neighborhood comment: come to Germantown and (try to) drive through some of the neighborhoods. There are neighborhoods with HOA covenents bordering extra-wide streets. Here you will find tour buses, extra-large RVs and fleets of commercial vehicles. In many cases, the owners do not live in the neighborhood, but much farther away. They are using the local streets as free lots. And by the way, wouldn't it be nice if everyone, should they choose, live in a "restricted" neighborhood ... but most have to live in reality. I am glad this issue is being addressed.

Posted by: car01 | July 22, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Actually, this type of ordinance and change of county rules is EXACTLY what county councils are supposed to handle. The is the job they are elected and paid for.

While many types of vehicles are being considered for the restriction, vehicle weight should be the determining factor. Vehicles passed a certain wieghts they can actually cause sinkholes and deep impressions (like large potholes) in the street. We've all seen them.

Posted by: Donny | July 22, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

The real reason folks object to RVs is aesthetics ... they just don't like 'em. But I might think that their family CAR is ugly. And what's up with the ugly color scheme on their house? And web type beach chairs on front porches? RVs, whether trailers or motorhomes, are generally made of fiberglass or aluminum, therefore they won't rust away or have a peeling vinyl roof. As for the Lazars' Wanderlodge motorhome creating a hazard on Myrtle Road ... I drove down the road and saw no problem. And I'm a retired safety professional who was responsible for traffic control and the administration of an extensive defensive driving program. Surely the county has many more important issues to solve?!?

Posted by: Dick C. | July 22, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Dick, you may be right in saying that most folks don't like the aesthics of RV's on their street. I don't feel that way, but I am concerned about vehicle weight on normal paved residential streets. The average car weighs about 3,000 lbs or 1.5 tons. Your average Winnebago weighs in at over 20,000 lbs or 10 tons. At some point, we all pay for street repairs, that are partially due to extremely heavy vehicles that remain parked for very long periods of time.

Lets face it, most RV's sit on the same patch of street for months...more so now, with gas nearing $5.00/gallon.

If the rules should be changed, my hope would that they are changed in a reasonable way that does not entirely restrict large vehicles from parking for short periods i.e. visits or moving.

Posted by: Donny | July 23, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

These proposed restrictions are ridiculous. What's the difference between a work van and a hummer? Will large hummers be considered a recreational vehicle and be on the restricted list? These work vehicles are people's livelihood. Vehicle insurance in MoCo is already higher than surrounding areas. Let's not make these vehicles park in an unguarded area.

Posted by: Think about it | July 23, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Sure, Car01, those streets are cramped. I live in Germantown, and routinely drive through streets like Mateny where there are these kinds of vehicles parked on both sides. I drive through them in my car and on my motorcycle. Never had a problem.

By the way, do you know why those cars are there? Because the neighborhood HOAs have banned them. If they are also banned from the street, exactly where should they park? Germantown Square shopping center? I bet the shopping center owners will love that!

Posted by: MoCo | July 23, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

They are trying to criminalize something which many area residents have been doing legally for years.

I've had a few occasions when I have volunteered to help organize some local events when we've needed to rent large trucks, load them a day or more in advance, and then get on the road before 5am. Sure in the future I could park them further away, where I can't watch over them, and try to get on the road by 4:30 instead. But I'd rather not have to do that.

Also keep in mind that rules which make sense in downtown Rockville or Bethesda may not make sense in Poolsville or Boydes.

Posted by: afpre42 | July 23, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

MoCo, I too have biked, walked, and drove around area streets where this is a problem, and I sure wouldn't have my kids do the same. BTW, the proposed legislation allows for time - 12 hours or so - to load/unload for moving, events, etc.

Posted by: gburg | July 24, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

As a small business owner this is a major concern. I would think the last thing the economy needs is to add to the problems of these businesses. The cost of doing business has been going up not to mention the red tape, litigation, etc. (read risks). Many small business operate out of their residences and have company vehicles. Not necessarily fleets but one or two. These are exactly the businesses that can least afford to have this problem. Montgomery County should really think this through before proceeding. Housing down. Jobs down. What do you think is going to happen if this ban goes into affect?

Posted by: Concerned | July 25, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

HOw about not allowing "restricted neihborhoods" to have covenenats against restricting the parking of commercial vehicle? That way, the vehicles that are owned by people who live there wouldn't be forced into other neighborhoods, thus increasing the burden there.

Posted by: Martin | July 27, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Commercial vehicles parking on private property (driveway). Is that going to be restricted as well. If they are parked off the street will it cause safety issues or is it just an eye sore for people who have desk jobs? I feel as though if you have the means to park these vehicles on your own property why not. It is just a huge inconvenience to wake up earlier and drive and leave personal vehicles else where during the night. I would like those people who vote for the bill to pass, to try and leave there vehicles off site where the county has approved somewhere for a week and let us know how they feel.

Tired MoCo Resident

Posted by: Jenny | July 31, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I have seen my neighborhood go down hill in the last 5 years because of these vehicles. I am tired of the noise they make at 3:00 am in the morning! Hate the fact I can't park my own car on the street because I fear my car will be hit_ AGAIN because there just enough room for cars to drive trough. They are an eye sore!
Ain't nothing like looking out your window and seeing your neighbor's flatbed tow truck [with demolished car in tow] parked in front of your house.

Posted by: done | August 12, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse