Franchot Fires Back At Miller

Comptroller Peter Franchot (D) fired back this afternoon at Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. (D-Calvert), suggeting he was "impressed by the length" of a letter Miller sent earlier this week -- but not much else.

"It was yet another illustration of what is broken and dysfunctional about Annapolis," Franchot wrote in his two-page response to Miller's four-page letter, which criticized Franchot as a novice who was not committed to working with others on state budget problems.

"In light of your corrspondence, in which you questioned my motives, credibility, integrity, seriousness and effectiveness as a public servant, I'll confess that I was tempted to respond in kind," Franchot wrote.

"I was tempted," Franchot contined, "to compare my 22-year record of public service with yours as Senate President, one in which your formidable legislative prowess has often been overshadowed by intemperate public remarks, acrimonious personal feuds, unconditional fealty to the interests of the national gambling industry, and stories of brass-knuckle political tactics that would cause the hardest-bitten of Tammany Hall ward-heelers to blush. However, in the interest of restoring civility and purpose to the public debate, I won't go there."

By John Wagner  |  September 12, 2008; 2:01 PM ET
Categories:  John Wagner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Miller Knocks Franchot As A "Novice"
Next: Leggett Edges Toward Slots Announcement

Comments

About time someone stood up to that corrupt old bastard Miller.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Miller and Franchot, proving it's politics as usual in Maryland.

How does anyone have any respect whatsoever for these guys?

Posted by: Liz | September 12, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

geez, as much as I don't like Franchot, I have to give him credit for standing up to bully Miller. 'bout time someone did.

Posted by: jen | September 12, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

What jen said.

I’m not a republican. I agree with Franchot on slots, but not much else. I dislike Miller even more than Franchot. I’m for just about anything that would annoy Miller. He epitomizes the SLEAZY POLITICIAN.

I’m struck by the ego’s of these two jokers. They are the political equivalent of the “Pants Man” of drycleaner fame. Miller takes four pages to respond to Franchot’s original letter. Then Franchot takes two more pages to say he will not respond in kind to Miller’s accusations.

Posted by: Count Bobulescu | September 13, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Peter Franchot has a family which is just as appealing as that of Gov. Sarah Palin.

Posted by: Robin Ficker, Broker Robin Realty | September 13, 2008 3:00 AM | Report abuse

ditto Jen, true that! What a gas bag Miller is. I’m not a republican but do agree with Franchot on slots, Miller needs to be told to shut up often.

Posted by: Sandy | September 15, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse