Ehrlich Says Obama Plan is "Class Warfare"

Former Maryland governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R), whose political future remains a big mystery, surfaced last night on MSNBC's "Hardball" with Chris Matthews.

During the segment, Ehrlich mostly had unkind things to say about President Obama's stimulus plan and budget proposal, which he said "reflected the hard-left positions he took during the campaign." Some other choice Ehrlich soundbites:

* "This is all about class warfare. It's all about punishing success"

* "The numbers don't add up."

* "The stimulus wasn't a stimulus. ... It meant nothing to small business."

The most curious exchange came at the end of Ehrlich's appearance, when Matthews asked him what he thinks of Rush Limbaugh.

"I think he's an interesting guy," Ehrlich said. " don't know him personally."

"What a careful answer," Matthews shot back, adding: "You are moderate. You are a moderate in private."

By Phyllis Jordan  |  February 27, 2009; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  John Wagner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pet Trusts Advance
Next: Maryland! My Maryland!

Comments

Wow - this sounds like Erlich is angry because he didn't get his "cut". Erlich perpectuated the myth that he helps small business owners. Its a LIE.

When the 95% of Americans who make less that $250,000/yr keep more of their earnings (thanks to Presiednt Obama) - small business owners will be saved. Those 95% who work for a living will be spending that extra money and many will be saveed from foreclosure. These are the facts.

Just ask anyone you know what they will do with extra money. Every homeowner I know has repairs and improvements they need, but have not been able to afford fro the last five years. We will spend that money on home contractors and building materials...obtained locally. We will not hesitate so much to eat at our favorite restaurants (LOCAL) close to home. We will spend the money mostly at the establishments and services of small business owners.

This is something that the GOP remedy (tax cuts for the richest 5%) will NEVER produce.

Erlich is a joke.

Posted by: free-donny | February 27, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Free-Donny;

If you look at the statistics, most of those making over $250K are small business owners.

You also state:
"Those 95% who work for a living . . . ." Are you implying that the other 5% (i.e. the ones making over $250K don't work for a living--oh yeah, they all inherited their wealth so thus they're evil).

The GOP remedy was not tax cuts for the richest 5%--the rates benefitted everyone, it just so happens that the rich pay the most taxes, so they benefit the most (i.e. if you're not making much and don't pay any taxes, you're not going to benefit from a decrease in the tax rate).

Please get your facts straight before mindlessly posting Obama's soundbites.

Posted by: island1 | February 27, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

island1, the GOP tax cuts DID NOT benefit everyone - are you living in a cave? Haven't you notice the resulting economic catastrophe?

No doubt taht some owners of small businesses clear more than $250,000 but ya know what...if they that is really their income, they DO NOT need a tax cut.

The small business owners I know are NOT making anywhere near that much. THEY need a tax cut.

What side of the quarter-million-dollar a year mark do you fall?

Just curious, "money-bags"!

TGIF

Posted by: free-donny | February 27, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

free-donny, You just displayed the mindset of an average Obama voter. Tell me, what business owners do you know? This class warfare Obama is doling out is like manna to all of you "victims" of capitalism. For almost 48 straight months job growth increased after the tax cuts went into effect. Coincidentally, the economy started to slide upon the democratic win in 2006 of Congress. Don't let your envy of other people cloud your thinking. You have just as likely of a chance to be successful as anybody else, you just have to work harder and smarter.

Posted by: Danno1313 | February 27, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, so I diplay the mindset of an Obama voter...which would put m ein the majority of most American voters.

Danno, with all due respect, isn't it a bit early to begin spinning and changing history to suit Bush-apologists and comfort McCain-voter sour grapes?

Why don't you tell me what small-business owners you know that are bringing home $250,000+ every year.

Nobody I know who run home improvement companies, landscaping companies, bail-bonds companies, building heatlth and saftey consultants, private investigators, dentists, and physicians...etc. Yeah, I know all these folks and they do NOT make that much.

None of them have a quarter million or more annual income. Are you mixing up revenue and income, because they are not the same thing.

Are you really saying to the rest of us that someone witha $250,000 annual income needs a tax break? Why should the rest of us have to sacrifice, while those earning the top 5% don't.

America has spoken, and they clearly want to see the country run as more of a fair deal for everyone. Well, most of us do.

Posted by: free-donny | February 27, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

The 250,00 dollar figure is NOT take home income, it is revenue and that is how it will be taxed. When you own a business, depending on how it is set up, the total intake(revenue) is what the tax is figured on. Most of these people work 60 to 80 hours a week and employ others and take the chance of losing their asses each quarter and don't have anyone to bail them out. It appears to be a large amount to make but when you realize how that figure is arrived at, it isn't. Do you feel it is unfair to you that they make more money? Should they be punished for it? They already pay the lion's share of taxes. Have you seen the pie chart showing the percentages? We all have the same opportunities to better ourselves, no matter what color, what party, religion or sexual preference. How about we hold the politicians (GOP and Dems) to the same standards and tax them and their benefits, limos, flights home each weekend. etc. These folks are living large when they should be on the same playing field as the rest of us.

Posted by: Danno1313 | February 27, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Danno, you are painting the picture mistakenly, but I sense we will agree to disagree here. The tax cuts going to the bottom 95% of us earners is earned income. Those earning above $250,000 was an earned income reference...see for yourself in the legislation and reflected in the newer tax code when released.

Perhaps you will have another chance to vote for Erlich...he seems to be keeping his nose in the game...or at least filling airtime on the Gop pundit circuit. With so few viable candidates to choose from and RNC Chairman, Michael Steele ducking criminal allegations, Erlich MAY be the GOP's man once again. I doubt he will make a go of it, but it would not be all his fault.

As a Democrat, its not my call, but I would recommend a more complete rebuild for the GOP...that is if they want to ever be realvant to America again. To achieve this, I sense they will have to distance themselves from teh days and ways of Bush/Cheney/DeLay/Erlich/Steele and the like. As we've seen, Palin and Jindal are not the answer.

I with the GOP well, because I do not want America to become a one-party nation.

TGIF

Posted by: free-donny | February 27, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

F-D:

The financial catastrophe had nothing to do with tax cuts. If you're looking for a reason, ask Chris Dodd and Barney Frank and why they didn't regulate Fan and Fred earlier.

Posted by: island1 | February 27, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"What a careful answer" is Matthew's standard line when he can't match his guest's intellect.

Posted by: crosshatch | February 28, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I must have stumbled into some sort of training camp for Fox News Pudnuts (pundits).

Agree to disagree, I understand the rich and very well-off want to extend the Bush/Cheney years as long as possible, but the American people see it differently.

If you have a problem with how President Obama is moving the country, you have the right to whine about it. No one can take that from you. However, if that is not enough, where would you move to? Bottom line is - there is no place better to live in the world. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Thx

Posted by: free-donny | February 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Well here we have it. Opertunity at it's best tearing each other appart while the country goes down the hole. Have we learned nothing from our friends from across the sea. I'm sick to death of the petty bickering. It would be good for a while to hear some resoursful solutions to the problems at hand insted of "your way won't work my way is better" Maybe we should try a 1 party system for a 1 term trial each party takes a turn. First Republicans let them have the house,senate,presidency let them run for 4 years then tally up the accomplishments. Then the democrats 4 years all 3 sectors of government. Tally up and yeah even the indapendent's give them 4 years of the same tally up. The one who has accomplished the most and turned results noticed you have to make good on the results "good intentions don't get you squat" Takes the next term. I'm rally big on results not good intentions. I'm not saying we all have to agree on every little issue but defenetly have to produce. which from my point of view we have done nothing to imporve our position.Which is why we are in the position we are today. I'm sure my suggestion will be not doubt picked appart by the intalectual's and elitest but at least I'm offering a solution which is more than I can say for the boobs that are in there now. thanks for the opertunity to post P.S. excuse the misspelling I was kinda in a hurry.

Posted by: zuplasty1 | February 28, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

free-donny
why so angry? It's apparent that you view taxes as a form of punishment especially when it is directed towards those you identify as the "rich". Although I haven't seen the details of the new budget I understand that the rich won't be able to deduct their mortgage either. Couple that with having too much income to qualify your kids any financial assistance or have them qualify for scholarships for college coupled with the tax increases that ought to accomplish pretty much what will really make you happy. The redistribution of wealth.

Donny-most people I know make less than $250k but they don't begrudge those that do. They realize that many of those people made it on their own. I have never understood people like you that feel that just because someone earns more money than another they should give a higher percentage of their income to the govt. Even if they pay the same percentage in tax as you don't they still give the govt more dollars than those who earn less. But that's not enough for people like you. I think what ticks most people off about paying taxes, even the rich, is that they really have no say so in what it is spent on. You don't seem to mind, especially when the "rich" pay the vast majority.

BTW I agree with your comments about this being the best country to live in. I wonder though, were you singing that tune when Bush was president or were you like so many other liberal patriots that threatened to move to France or wherever.

Posted by: mod1 | February 28, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

mod1, the way I see it, its mostly those who take away $250,000 and more every year who view taxes as "punishment". I view it for what it is, everyone's fair share of what makes America run. Why dodge paying your fair share?

It really comes down to that simple question. I took your comments seriuosly and re-read my earlier posts, and I really did not sense any anger on my part. I have noticed quite a bit on the part of GOP posters...they seem to seill feel the sharp sting of election day beatings.

I included my advice earlier as well ...for the GOP, on how they may be able to save their party. Guess what, anger and spite are not part of the way forward. While us Dems are still celebrating and enjoying the progress of our new President's first couple months, I sincerely hope Repubs can begin to move on and seriuosly reinvent their party.

Posted by: free-donny | February 28, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

BTW - Also, I never considered moving to France. Why would I do such a thing? I've put my entire life into this country through service and all my fair share of taxes paid. Why walk away from what I've help build and maintain?

The problem with that option for rich Americans who want to dodge paying their fair share...is that the U.S. has the lowest taxes of anywhere they may want to move. In most developed nations, such unjust tax-breks for the rich simply do NOT exist. We're all better off here.

Posted by: free-donny | March 1, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The Obama-Nutzis are coming... The Obama-Nutzis are coming... The Obama-Nutzis are coming...

They are here to suppor the po' people and fiscally irresponsible, with the fruits of our labors.

Well, no more health insurance is being offered. I can't afford to pay their COBRA, when they get laid-off. Lack of revenue makes me nervous. Time to cut-back.

This means, I'll earn up to $249K and shut down for the rest of the year!!!!

No mo' money for ACORN and the Obama-Nutzis!!!

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | March 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I have a question to Free-Donny and other people who think that anybody who dodges taxes are unamerican.

Given that so many of Obama's cabinet choices ducked their taxes, what do you think of them?

Finally, dodging taxes is illegal. It has nothing to do with "unpatriotic". However, opposing new taxes if actually very patriotic.

I detest what Obama is doing by creating class warfare. Almost everybody in this country is middle class. That includes people earning $250K and even much higher. The definition of middle class that most people will agree with is, "Somebody is middle-class if they go to work because they have to, not because they want to".

Obama creating a division that somehow people making $250K are wealthy is divisive. If a couple each makes $130K/year does that make them wealthy? How about if they get a divorce but live together? Did they suddenly shift to being middle class?

Finally, think of something. To the couple I mention above, if they divorce simply for the sake of avoiding taxes, does that make them unAmerican?

Or is a political system that encourages divorce for finance-sake unAmerican? These are not theoretical questions, either.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | March 1, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to you who "earn" extremely large sums. As for taxes and pay one's fair share, the same rules should apply to everyone, regardless of political party affiliation. I trust we all fee the same way on this.

The petty name-calling and election-sour-grapes kinda lowers the discourse several levels, though. Its better that everyone express their POV here without venting our insecurities. Despite all the angst and spitefulness displayed by the very rich, I say again, we should all be in this together and if we need to put our personal "quests-to-own-more" aside, until America is in the lead again...we all need to do that.

Thanks for playing.

Posted by: free-donny | March 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Seems some of us are loosing site of the initiator of the meltdown. It was not Tax cuts, (likely saved this event off a while). The initiator was undervalued risk in the credit markets. The term "get the credit you deserve really meant get the credit so I can buy what I want" was bound to collapse under it own weight. Whether it was geedy loan companies or do gooding liberals presuring banks to make unsound loans the net effect was the same, too much easy money. The shame in all this is that 90% of banks never made a subprime morgage or allowed a excessive credits burdens to run up. In the end all banks are evil and barrowers are the victims. (the barrowers in houses, cars and credit balances they should have never got in the first place). The sad end to this all is that sound banks and sound borrowers will bailout the reckless (corporate and individual). Bad decisions should have bad consequences(corporate or individual) or capitalism will not work. work.

Posted by: Charger1 | March 1, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article and comments. One thing is obvious-we do NOT all have equal opportunities to better ourselves but perhaps we do have equal power to envision a better future for ourselves, our families, and our communities. I agree that this country is great, and seems to thrive on the balancing of Democratic and Republican administrations. The country will survive.

Posted by: Bfeely600 | March 2, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Did you see Rush Limbaugh address CPAC awsome simply awsome

Posted by: zuplasty1 | March 2, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Zuplasti, thats funny! So, its beginning to look like the GOP is going to run Limbaugh for prez in 2012? RNC Chairman, Michael Steele, is bending over right now to kiss Limbaugh's obese rear-end...and apologize for offending Limbaugh. I'm both amazed and entertain right now.

R.I.P. GOP