Ten Candidates File to Run in MoCo District 4

Ten candidates have filed to run in the Montgomery County Council special election to fill the vacancy left by the death in January of Don Praisner (D-Eastern County).

On the Democratic side, there are six candidates: funeral director Michael L. Bigler of Silver Spring; attorney Robert Goldman of Burtonsville; information technology developer Thomas Hardman of Rockville; Del. Benjamin F. Kramer of Rockville; former civic association leader Cary Lamari of Silver Spring; and Board of Education member Nancy Navarro of Silver Spring.

On the Republican side, the three candidates are non-profit executive Louis August of Silver Spring; low-tax activist Robin Ficker of Silver Spring; and Andrew L. Padula of Silver Spring. The Green Party has backed George Gluck of Rockville.

Candidates are vying to serve out the remainder of Praisner's term in District 4, which includes all or parts of Aspen Hill, Burtonsville, Calverton, Cloverly, Colesville, Derwood, Fairland, Olney, Sandy Spring, Silver Spring, Spencerville, Wheaton and White Oak. The primaries will be held April 21 and the general election on May 19.

By Anne Bartlett  |  March 6, 2009; 3:09 PM ET
Categories:  Ann Marimow , Montgomery County
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Two "Hard Heads" Put Forward Campaign Finance Bill
Next: Praisner Daughter Backs Kramer in MoCo District 4

Comments

Homeowners, help is on the way. Thanks to passage of my Question B countywide and in District 4, one vote can now make a difference on the county council as well as on election day. It now takes 9 votes to exceed the charter limit on property taxes. The only reason the council is not giving us a property tax increase this year to follow up their record-setting 13.5% increase last year, is that there are only 8 council members. But watch out next year, for their usual election year spending spree using homeowners as an ATM. Save Our Homes! When on the council I shall champion the viewpoint of homeowners, a point of view that is neglected now.

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | March 6, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The Post should call Navarro a "high=trax activist." She supported giving county employees a 30% raise over three years in a recession and and the largest tax increase in 20 years in property taxes. She told the teachers union this week that she would support additional tax increases. We cannot afford Navarro. That is why Don Praisner repeatedly said that his wife Marilyn called Navarro, "dangerous."

Posted by: jason14 | March 7, 2009 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Navarro is just another of dozens of past and present school board members using the school board as a jumping point to seek higher elected office. The county council is packed with teacher union and labor union backers. The last thing this council needs is another puppet. The other council candidates are no better with their ties to agenda advocacy groups. Montgomery County residents pay some of the highest taxes in the DC area. It took a nation wide financial crisis to show citizens the council can make budget cuts. Yes, keep the high taxes but no tax increase. In the future council members need to continue making budget cuts and stand their ground against union political pressue.

Posted by: motherseton | March 9, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Well, it seems the Republicans are warming up their "Navarro bashing". I was not aware of this, but I guess that makes Nancy Navarro the predicted Democrat "front runner".

I'm a Dem, but its always interesting to hear what the GOP has to say. Anyone know if any debates of forums are scheduled for voters?

Posted by: free-donny | March 9, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

If you ask almost any PTA president or Board member who has tried to interact with Nancy Navarro as a BOE member, you will hear MANY stories of phone calls unreturned, lack of follow-up on promised actions, and several other issues relating to Ms. Navarro's performance on the Board. Her stated and observed policies are seriously out of step in today's fiscal environment. She will play the immigrant card flagrantly in her campaign, a characteristic which has no bearing on her ability to act in the best interests of District 4. Nancy Navarro has proven herself to be an empty suit, and there are plenty of other choices in the game this time. Please shop wisely - elections have consequences.

Posted by: ThePragmatist | March 9, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I just read that Praisner's daughter backs Benjamin Kramer. Looks like Kramer may be the Democratic front-runner.

Posted by: free-donny | March 9, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Straight from my responses to the Montgomery County Education Association -- also known as "the Teachers' Union -- which you can find online at:

4.What is your view of the current local tax structure? What, if any, changes would you advocate?

"We desperately need to find sources of revenue that aren't leveraged from the values of real property. In the current economic meltdown we see property values headed quickly lower, and they cannot possibly fund the extant County programs, MCPS or otherwise, at present levels of both expenditures and taxation. We cannot reasonably raise property taxes on people who may be on fixed incomes and who are watching their savings/retirements evaporate and the values of their homes declining in a market where they couldn't likely sell that property. Nor can we reasonably raise taxes on people who are being thrown out of work in the economic dislocations. Nor can we seize delinquent homes and try to sell them for revenue, this only adds to market saturation. We need to find other means, and find them quickly. In the meantime, all we can do is cut expenses."

So, Mr Ficker, you're not the only person who wouldn't vote to exceed the charter limit. I wouldn't vote for any higher taxes, especially not on the people with fixed incomes who have been watching their investments and retirement funds implode.

Neither am I the outright creature of the Montgomery County Public Schools employees and their various Unions. It's time to cut costs, and I deeply support Maryland House Bill HB 841, sponsored by the Montgomery County Delegation to Annapolis.

See also

I'm siding with the Parents Coalition of Montgomery on this one!

It's time to do what President Obama did: create a searchable website that lets people easily find out where their money is spent. If this excellent bill doesn't pass, I'll be working for the same thing from the County Council, if elected.

But wait, there's more! Every voter needs to be reminded that one short year ago, I based my entire campaign on the "economic calamity only now beginning to unfold around us (see the tapes from Cable Montgomery's Channel 19/21 candidate's forum) and not a single other one of the candidates had the least clue. Indeed, Nancy Navarro made all sorts of promises, and when she lost the election to Donald Praisner (may he rest in peace) the County Council granted all of the raises she promised, and then had to claw it all back from them when the economy went sour.

Well, I'm here to tell you that in the same way I knew what was coming last time, I know what's coming now. Mark my words: the old way of doing things is over. We cannot tax and spend, we're in survival mode, and this county needs someone on the Council who knows the value of a dollar and how to live with frugality as more than a catchphrase. I'm poor and know how to live within my means. I can teach this to the County agencies that are spending who knows how much on who knows what.

It will be a sad day when the voters of Montgomery have to vote for someone because they know how to not spend money, but it's a sad day, folks, and its about to get sadder. Vote for someone who will face the facts, rather than make promises they don't even see that they cannot afford to keep.

Vote for frugality. Vote for Fiscal Prudence. Vote for No Higher Taxes. Vote like you were sane.

Vote Hardman: You Know He's Right.

Posted by: thardman | March 9, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Everyone seems to think that there's no question but that Nancy Navarro will win, hands down, by an exceptionally large margin.

I beg to differ.

There are a a lot of candidates in this race. Maybe you should be discussing which of us should drop out so that it's only about Navarro or Kramer.

Posted by: thardman | March 9, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thardman | March 9, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

See also

I'm siding with the Parents Coalition of Montgomery on this one!

Vote Hardman: You Know He's Right.

Posted by: thardman | March 9, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I find it objectionable that Navarro would abandon her school board duties to run for another office. What about her commitment to kids and schools?

Would she pledge to serve a full term in the County Council? Or would she leave this job early as well?

Posted by: dc_attorney | March 11, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"dcattorney", I see you point, but disagree with you completely. You act posing this opinion as if Navarro is the first elected official to run for another office before their term ends. I'll assume that you have no personal hatred of Navarro, so we really need to test your logic a bit. President Obama campaigned for president before his term in Senate was completed. If McCain would have won - he'd be "abandoning" his senate seat also. Are you actually advocating making all elected office holders inelegible for elections?

Posted by: free-donny | March 11, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse