Not Over Yet in MoCo, With Navarro Holding Narrow Lead

Three hours and 723 absentee ballots later, and the outcome of the Democratic primary for an open seat on the Montgomery County Council was still uncertain this afternoon.

Board of Education member Nancy Navarro was still holding on to a slim lead over Del. Benjamin F. Kramer, a margin that narrowed by three votes to 75 after today's count, according to Board of Elections attorney Kevin Karpinski. Navarro is still claiming victory and Kramer is still not conceding.

"We're happy; our math seems to be correct," said Navarro's campaign manager David Moon. "As the number of outstanding ballots shrinks, the chances of overturning the 75 vote margin nears mathematic impossibility."

Election officials will sift through 86 provisional ballots on Monday and then turn to another pile of at least 50 absentee ballots later in the week.

Kramer's campaign manager Eric Hensal said, "Obviously, it's not done. We are committed to following the process out."

By Ann Marimow  |  April 23, 2009; 4:38 PM ET
Categories:  Ann Marimow , Montgomery County
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rival Camps Line Up for MoCo's Absentee Count
Next: Navarro Still Ahead in MoCo's Special Election

Comments

This election is more important than most "special elections", as it may tip the balance on the Council. Problem is, while Kramer's super pro-business values are known, Navarro is a bit of a mystery. Supported by unions, but with a LOT of developer $$ behind her, which way will she go? Pro-people, pro-growth; pro-environment, pro-congestion?

Posted by: Towards_Light | April 23, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

If she's a good politician (a good politician _stays_ bought) she'll not merely Pave the Bay, but she'll make sure that only Union employees do it.

Posted by: thardman | April 24, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The lack of comment on this topic, is itself indicative of the lack of interest in Maryland Moment.

Posted by: spikemilligan | April 24, 2009 2:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spikemilligan | April 24, 2009 2:55 AM | Report abuse

Spike, go back to navarro politics watch. Lack of comment here is itself indicative of the lack of interest in Navarro. I voted for Ben Kramer in the primary, but it is an easy choice to vote for Robin Ficker on May 19.

Posted by: jason14 | April 24, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Navarro is about as good as any of the choices... and much less baggage then some. You can't have Praisner back and the world moves on. I'm a betting man, but don't believe in predictions. I'll call it Navarro 74% to Ficker 26%.

TGIF

Posted by: free-donny | April 24, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Donny, you think 60% police disability is a good idea. Let's make a bet. For every point Nancy gets above your prediction, I push a peanut down Route 29 for one mile with my nose. For every point Nancy gets below your prediction, you do. Donny, please don't wimp out on this challenge!

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | April 24, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"much less baggage"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is failing to sign contracts requiring the Board's signature "much less baggage"?

Is failing to get contracts for procurements "much less baggage"?

Is ignoring the Open Meeting Act "much less baggage"?

Posted by: jzsartucci | April 24, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Hi Ficker, though a "dignified proposition", I have no desire to see you push a peanut down Rt29 with your nose.

Good luck, you face tough odds versus Navarro, even just by party counts. Best if you speak to the voters, listen to the voters, and be your true self.

My number estimates are really just out of frustration, because I've been trying to find election numbers and have been unable to obtain them. I guess you could call them "unscientific", at best. I guess counting continues...so Kramer is not really out of it.

Good luck to all candidates. Let's end this talk of peanuts.

Posted by: free-donny | April 25, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Good points jzsartucci. We need someone just like you on the school board.

Posted by: jason14 | April 26, 2009 4:38 AM | Report abuse

jzsartucci, unfortunately my asnwer to you muct be "yes"...that still qualifies as "much less baggage". I will not get into tearing down any of the candidates here. I've chosen my "dog with the least fleas"...and its Navarro. I think Navarro will be the best addition to the council. You are welcome to make your choice.

Good luck to all the candidates.

Posted by: free-donny | April 26, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Let's talk campaign financing. Doesn't Nancy Navarro have about 88% of her campaign contributions from unions and developers? Why hasn't she spoken out against having 60% of Montgomery County police retire on disability?

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | April 27, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Gee, I wonder what is the difference between the two?

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | April 27, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse