Tributes pour in for MoCo activist Wayne Goldstein, dead at 56

Wayne Goldstein, a Montgomery County community activist with a keen interest in historic preservation and land use, died Monday morning at Shady Grove Hospital after collapsing in front of the County Council building on his way to a hearing about the proposed expansion of Suburban Hospital, according to his close friend and fellow activist Jim Humphrey.

Goldstein, 56, was a former president of the county's Civic Federation, president of Montgomery Preservation Inc. and a columnist for The Sentinel newspaper. Goldstein operated a landscaping business, and was an avid gardener.

Royce Hanson, chairman of the Montgomery County Planning Board, called Goldstein's death " a loss to the civic community." He said Goldstein was "persistent, well-informed and a constant advocate of both historic preservation causes and community causes."
Goldstein is survived by two brothers and his mother, Terry, of Chevy Chase, a former teacher, and herself a civic activist.

Amy Presley, a planning board member who rose to prominence when she and other Clarksburg residents uncovered irregularities in the planning process, said Goldstein had been one of her early tutors, helping her sort out the often confusing documents that are on file at the planning agency and describe what builders and developers are required to do. "I am really sad," Presley said.

Humphrey said he was saddened by the loss of his long time friend and said the civic community would suffer from the loss of Goldstein's voluminious institutional knowledge of the planning process, "much of it was in his head." Funeral arrangements will be announced soon, Humprhey said.

By Miranda Spivack  |  April 28, 2009; 11:59 AM ET
Categories:  Miranda Spivack
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No Deal on MoCo Police Disability as Council is Poised to Vote
Next: Consultant Says 15,000 Slot Machines Still Doable

Comments

I am truly saddened by this news. Wayne Goldstein was a force to be reckoned with, a impassioned champion for the community. Wayne offered invaluable guidance and encouragement in the ongoing efforts to preserve the tangible history of Montgomery County. I was proud to have known him, and offer my sincerest condolences to his family and friends. He will be dearly missed!

Posted by: HometownBethesda | April 28, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I am truly saddened by this news. Wayne Goldstein was a force to be reckoned with, an impassioned champion for the community. Wayne offered invaluable guidance and encouragement in the ongoing efforts to preserve the tangible history of Montgomery County. I was proud to have known him, and offer my sincerest condolences to his family and friends. He will be dearly missed!

Posted by: HometownBethesda | April 28, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Wayne was a constant force for positive change and historic preservation. Always ready to stand up for those without a voice, ever present in matters that improved the lives of citizens not just in the County, but beyond. He was a blessing to all who knew him – whether they knew it or not. He was a trusted friend, an invaluable community resource, one of kind, and truly irreplaceable.

Steve Kanstoroom

Posted by: sjk2 | April 28, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Wayne Goldstein: perpetual inquiry, great research!

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | April 28, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

It’s hard to think of anybody who has worked harder for the residents of Montgomery County than Wayne Goldstein.

His loss is immeasurable. He will be greatly missed.

Some pictures of our friend are located here http://tinyurl.com/c4g7xk

Posted by: Explorer1 | April 29, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Explorer1 | April 29, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Ironically, Wayne opposed the Suburban Hospital expansion. Suburban has one of the best and most active heart programs in the area due to a previous expansion, a trauma center, as well as an NIH promulgated stroke center.
Here's a blog comment from him opposing the expansion
That being said, when I lived in Montgomery and was active on issues he often opposed, Wayne and I could at least have a conversation, unlike many anti growth activists. I even treated him to lunch at the Tastee Diner once. He had a great personality and fantastic sense of humor.
My prayers for him and his family and all who knew him.
Ken Reid

Posted by: kreid@fdainfo.com | April 29, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Wayne was a tremendous advocate for preserving the fabric of a community and the history of place in Montgomery County. He helped guide me and my neighbors through the historic preservation thicket in preserving Wild Acres, the country estate of Gilbert H. Grosvenor who pioneered photo-journalism during his tenure at the National Geographic magazine. We celebrated that victory only a few weeks ago. It's hard to believe that Wayne's infectious grin won't be seen around the County Council hearing room any more.

Posted by: jweller | April 29, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Wayne...the first boy I ever kissed...you will be dearly missed. I first met Wayne at a 10th grade orientation dance in late August of 1967 at B-CC. The first day of class, Wayne met me after homeroom and carried my books to my first high school class. We were high school sweethearts from the start and his broad warm smile, calm demeanor, and kindness won me over. We ended high school together at the senior banquet at the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Maryland. Years passed and we met again at a B-CC reunion, when he again walked up to me and asked me to dance. Wayne and I spent several wonderful years together as teenagers and as adults. I will never forget his unwavering love, true loyalty, ever-present kindness, and embracing smile. I felt enormous pride for Wayne's many accomplishments and his well-earned respect throughout the community. I join Wayne's family and other friends in mourning the passing of a truly unique person who created his own garden in life. Colette Winston

Posted by: colettewinston | April 30, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Wayne was one of a kind, a most generous man who had a great sense of civic duty, his loss will be felt across Montgomery County. Many for generations to come will enjoy his contributions. He leaves a tremendous void in the Civic community, shoes that simply cannot be filled. I will truly miss my dear friend Wayne Goldstein.

Posted by: carylamari | April 30, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Wayne Goldstein was Montgomery Preservation's public face. MPI is honoring Wayne at its Web site: http://www.montgomerypreservation.org

Posted by: DSR1 | May 1, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Wayne was one of the great people we have come to know in Maryland. People thought of him as primarily concerned about limiting development. But he was so much bigger than that. What a giant. His gentleness, his skills as a communicator, his love of life, and nature, and care for others, his sense of humor, all covered up a wealth of knowledge and sweep that could talk of pesticides, flowers, civic virtue, philosophy, and care for a sick friend. What a loss to all of us.

Posted by: joppenheimer | May 1, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse