O'Malley Says More Budget Cuts Possible
Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) just won approval last month for another round of budget cuts designed to close a $700 million shortfall that emerged early in the state's fiscal year. But still more reductions could soon be on the way, he told reporters Wednesday.
"It wouldn't surprise me if we had another one hundred, two hundred million to cut," O'Malley said after an appearance in Baltimore.
The governor will receive updated revenue estimates next week from a state panel that makes official fiscal projections. He said he had no advance knowledge of what the panel will report and was basing his sense of things on what he hears from his budget secretary and others internally, and his read of the economy.
O'Malley made no mention of what might be next on the chopping block. The last round included layoffs of 205 employees, furloughs of up to 10 days for state workers and the reduction of more than $200 million in state road aid and other assistance to local governments.
-- John Wagner
Washington Post Editors
September 9, 2009; 2:05 PM ET
Categories: Governor , John Wagner , Maryland State Budget | Tags: O'Malley, budget, budget cuts, shortfall
Save & Share: Previous: Laurel Referendum Results Are In
Next: Pr. George's WSSC Nominee Confirmed
Posted by: charlietuna6661 | September 9, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: postisarag | September 9, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: organizedchic | September 9, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.