Some details on HUD projects in Pr. George's emerge
After Prince George's County came within one day of losing more than $5 million in federal housing funds, a few details on how it plans to spend the money have emerged.
The funds that were at stake come from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's HOME Investment Partnerships Program, known as HOME. The program, begun in 1992, gives states and localities money each year for the development of affordable housing, and the grants come with a 24-month commitment deadline.
About $5.2 million was due to expire in Prince George's at the end of last month, but county officials said they made the deadline and then some, assigning $6.9 million to affordable housing projects. HUD officials are working to verify the projects.
The Washington Post recently reported on the near-loss of the funds, as well as four projects that were intended for the bulk of the money.
The county submitted two additional projects to HUD, The Post has learned.
According to county officials, one project, Marlton Plaza Senior Housing in Upper Marlboro, will receive $200,000. The recipient, Marlton Plaza Senior Housing LP, will use the money to acquire land, construct and operate a new 102-unit, low- to moderate-income senior rental housing project, county officials said. The county has earmarked HOME funds for this project previously, officials said, and the funds will make up about 10 percent of the $20 million project.
Another project, Livingston Forest in Oxon Hill, is slated to get $1.9 million in HOME funds. Those will be used by the developer, Housing Initiative Partnership, to build 72 units of rental housing for seniors, officials said. The total cost of the project is $14,025,605, officials said.
November 9, 2009; 3:53 PM ET
Categories: Jonathan Mummolo , Prince George's County
Save & Share: Previous: First Click -- Maryland
Next: O'Malley named Governor of the Year? Kind of.
The comments to this entry are closed.