O'Malley: Not involved in future of Terps football coach
Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) acknowledged rumors Tuesday about his involvement in the future of Maryland football coach Ralph Friedgen but told reporters that neither he nor his staff have intervened.
University officials are reportedly wrestling with whether to retain Friedgen or buy out the remaining $4 million of his contract, possibly borrowing from the university endowment. The Terrapins are 2-9 this year.
"I leave to the university to manage its sports and most everything else that goes with the university," O'Malley said following an unrelated event in Annapolis. "I haven't gotten into this at all. I really haven't."
O'Malley said that he "would hope they would not use public funds to buy out the contract," but he declined to elaborate on what exactly would fall under the definition of "public funds."
"I don't even want to get into the hypothetical, because I'm not involved in any way," the governor said. "I don't mean to be dismissive of the big news of the day. ... This all dusted up as something out of you guys today."
Lobbyists for both the University of Maryland and the university system said they had not heard from O'Malley nor his staff on the issue.
In a radio interview earlier in the day, O'Malley agreed that Terps fans have endured a dismal season.
"It's been a disappointing year for Maryland," O'Malley said on WTOP. "It's been a rough year for Terps fans."
Posted by: robinficker | November 25, 2009 3:18 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: WoodrowRoosevelt | November 25, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: robinficker | November 26, 2009 4:19 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.