Two state delegates said to be running for Pr. George's County Executive

One female Maryland State delegate has decided to join the growing list of candidates for Prince George's County Executive, and another is rumored to be throwing her hat in the ring as well.

The delegates--either of which would be the first female county executive in Prince George's history if elected--are Gerron S. Levi (D-Prince George's) and Aisha N. Braveboy (D-Prince George's).

Levi confirmed yesterday that she plans to run for the seat, to be vacated by County Executive Jack B. Johnson (D).

"The reason I'm getting in the race is because I believe the next county executive should have a vision for the economic future of the county," Levi said. "I think we need to be advanced, innovation-oriented and job-creating, and I believe I have the steps that will get us there."

Braveboy did not rule out the bid, but said her mind is not yet made up.

"I'm looking at all of my options at this time," Braveboy said. "I have not officially announced running for any race."

Several sources in the county--one of whom said they spoke with Braveboy directly--said she had decided to run. The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because Braveboy has not yet officially announced.

(Del. Levi)

(Del. Braveboy)

By Jonathan Mummolo  |  November 2, 2009; 3:52 PM ET
Categories:  2010 Elections , Jonathan Mummolo , Prince George's County
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Schaefer statue unveiled in Baltimore
Next: First Click -- Maryland

Comments

Dang, first term delegates both. The Clerk of the Court, also first term, is running for State’s Attorney. I need to git me a whole lot of whatever these gals are havin for breakfast.

Gerron is my delegate, I voted for her in the past. She has knocked on my door, and I am at the extremity of her district. I could vote for her again. I voted for Rushern twice, and could do so again.

I wish Glen Ivey would decide. Seems to me, if he decides to run, he is the candidate to beat.

Don’t know much about Aisha Braveboy, except I believe she is a protégé of JJ, which does her no favors in my book.

Here’s to a vigorous 2010 campaign among quality candidates.

Posted by: countbobulescu | November 3, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I am glad that Delegate Gerron Levi has decided to join the race for Prince Georges County Executive. We need a competent, qualified and hardworking County Executive that will bring the change that we desperately need. You go girl!

Posted by: delnagray | November 3, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I look forward to an energized and spirited contest next year, with this new crop of candidates and their fresh ideas. As a constituent of Delegate Levi, I find no other candidate posessing her passion, vision & intellect. Our county would be well served as we compete in this global economy with Ms. Levi at the helm.

Posted by: mdfldr | November 3, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I am in Del. Gerron's district and supported her when she ran for Maryland State Del. She has made me proud in that position and I look forward to helping her win the Prince George's County Executive position.

Posted by: vthomas1 | November 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. There are several additional candidates including Tony Knots, Rushern Baker, Sam Dean, Glen Ivy, and I heard Michael Jackson the Sherrif may run. We need a County Executive who will improve our perception as a third world county.

Posted by: tmdudley | November 3, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I have worked with Del. Gerron Levi for nearly 15 years. I can honestly say one would be hard pressed to find a more passionate, hardworking, and competent advocate for workers and constituents than Gerron Levi. Gerron’s 20 years of experience in government relations, her intellect, enthusiasm and desire to understand issues from multiple perspectives makes her a strong candidate. I look forward to helping elect Gerron Levi for County Executive.

Posted by: blrmkr1 | November 3, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I am excited to hear that Delegate Levi has decided to run for Prince Georges County Executive! She has proven that she has the kind of common-sense, forward-thinking leadership skills we need to carry us into the future. She definitely has my vote!

Posted by: kjackson1 | November 3, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I spoke to Delegate Levi more than a year ago about running for County Executive of Prince George's County. I am elated that she has made the decision to get in the RACE. She has a vision for the economic future of Prince George's County that focuses on the county producing more students that are advanced and globally competative, and spurring an economy that is innovative-oriented and job creating.She also assembled a collaboration that won a $1 million grant to build advanced math skills in the county. She is attempting to build that model right now. I am a retired teacher and I believe she is the person to save our children from the ills of society.

And don't forget that she won the 23rd Delegate seat without adding her name to any body.s slate__she personally knocked on every door in the 23rd District. That's my candidate for the next County Executive!!!

Posted by: lexie318 | November 3, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Gerron Levi is one of the most dedicated public servants I have ever worked with. Her focus and tenacity have served her constituents well during her tenure in the State House of Delegates. She is an advocate for education, and a strong voice in Annapolis. I have no doubt Gerron would serve Prince Georges County well as County Executive. She has my unequivocal support.

Posted by: kamp922 | November 3, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Delegate Levi's committment to SERVICE is the reason I became a volunteer for her run for the Delegate seat 4 years ago. Now, it is her LEADERSHIP that makes her the candidate that we need for Prince Georges County. We need her as our County Executive because she is that rare candidate that has and understands the proper balance of SERVICE and LEADERSHIP to make the best decisions for our county.

Posted by: merrillsmith | November 4, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Delegate Levi has my vote. I was impressed the first time we talked when she knocked on my door four years ago. I continue to be in awe of her memory of my community's issues and her willingness to honestly and proactively assist us. Her replacement as Delegate will have a hard act to follow. She will be an asset to the Office of the County Executive.

Posted by: ctcn01 | November 5, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse