Edwards speaks

In response to a request for comment on news that she will likely be
facing a challenge in next year's Democratic primary, Rep. Donna
Edwards (D-Md.) issued a response Friday that made no mention of
likely challenger Glenn F. Ivey.

In her e-mailed statement, Edwards highlighted her work on issues
ranging from health care and unemployment to securing federal funds
for her district, and said nothing would "distract" her from that
work.

Ivey, the Prince George's State's Attorney, is so far steering clear
from mentioning Edwards as well.

Edwards' full statement below:

"As the representative for Maryland's 4th Congressional District, my
number one priority is serving the residents of this district by
passing comprehensive health care reform, creating jobs so people can
get back to work and keep their homes, and helping this economy
continue to recover. I look forward to continuing my outreach efforts
throughout the 4th District in coffee conversations, issue forums,
electronic meetings, and traditional town hall discussions.

Since my election, I have been appointed as vice chair of two key House
subcommittees, assisted our counties and state in receiving millions
of dollars in federal funding, and have been recognized as a leading
legislator in the health care reform debate. Nothing has or will
distract me from that priority and from working closely with the
President, our House leadership and the Maryland Delegation for the
benefit of our district, state and nation."

By Anne Bartlett  |  December 4, 2009; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  2010 Elections , Jonathan Mummolo , Montgomery County , Prince George's County
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ivey refusing to draw distinctions with Edwards...for now
Next: The Fix: Kratovil seat grows more vulnerable

Comments

There is no reason for Glenn Ivey or Herman Taylor to run against Donna Edwards. If they truly want a progressive leader, Donna is the one to lead it. If they want to bring back the days of the business special interests, that's another story, one that won't play well.

Posted by: artbrodsky | December 4, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

How can any Member of Congress release a statement about what they have been doing in Congress without even mentioning their position on this Afghanistan misadventure?

Posted by: robinficker | December 5, 2009 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: robinficker | December 5, 2009 3:21 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see Robin Ficker is alive, even it appears he is not “Well”.

Posted by: countbobulescu | December 5, 2009 3:39 AM | Report abuse

@robinficker: Rep. Edwards' website has her recent statement on Afghanistan.

Posted by: tfn4513 | December 5, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I read Donna's statement, but I didn't see anything about how this escalation should be paid for. Would Donna load the costs on our children and grandchildren or would she vote for a war tax? Or we she vote against any further funding as I would.

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | December 5, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I heard Senator Webb on WTOP talk about the war. He is against the draft and against a war tax. He seems to like one of those painless wars that we get the bill for later. I doubt we would be in Afghanistan if the soldiers came from the draft and if the public was sent an immediate bill.

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | December 5, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Ficker, did you ever register for the draft? I did while still in high school, it was one of the scariest days of my life. The draft was horribly inequitable. I also think that any country that has a draft, which means lots of military bodies, is more likely to go to war. I have no problem with a volunteer military, so long as everyone knows up front, that, in exchange for great benefits, they may have to kill for their country.

Posted by: VikingRider | December 5, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the good work Donna! The voters will reward you for your efforts.

Posted by: Mike2003 | December 10, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse