Now It's Your Turn: Should Mayor Dixon resign?

John Wagner

Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon has issued a statement saying her conviction on a charge she took gift cards intended for the poor "does not impact my responsibility to continue serving." Should she resign -- or fight to stay in office?

Share your thoughts by posting a comment below.

Here is the complete text of Dixon's statement:

Today, I thank God for the strength He has given me. I want to thank my family for their undying support, and all of my staff, supporters, and friends for the countless prayers and encouraging words. Thank you for standing by me.

The jury's verdict today does not impact my responsibility to continue serving and I remain focused on keeping Baltimore on course in these trying economic times.

I want the people of this great city to know that my administration is fortunate to have a talented and dedicated team of professionals running city agencies and departments. Like me, my team remains focused on the everyday business of this city.

I am blessed with opportunity to serve the people of Baltimore.

On Monday, we asked what programs you would seek to cut if you were a member of the Maryland legislature.

The most detailed (if not entirely realistic) plan came from VikingRider on our Web site:

"First, I would cut state funding of public schools by 10-15 percent to start.

Second, cut out all funding for the widening of 270.

Third, cut funding for the Medicaid, Older Adult Waiver program, waste of millions.

Fourth, cut funding for the Baltimore Red line.

Fifth, mandate slots be allowed in National Harbor, got to put the slots where the people are.

Sixth, cut funding for Maryland Legal Aid, the poor can be represented pro bono by Robin Ficker.

Seventh, stop all funding for the planning mega building project on Preston Street in Baltimore of the state office complex.

Eighth, end the tuition freeze at Maryland colleges and universities, let the market set the rates. Increase out of state tuition drastically.

Ninth, sell off any surplus state lands and buildings.

Tenth, cut the funding for legislative scholarship program, this is just a sleazy slush fund for the elite.

Eleventh, pass the combined reporting legislation that has been stalled for years, make out of state corps pay their fair share here."

By John Wagner  |  December 1, 2009; 4:14 PM ET
Categories:  John Wagner , Your Turn
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lawmaker seeks to ban slots near malls
Next: So far, O'Malley's goals clear, modest for session

Comments

she stole money from poor kids and bought electronics for herself. she is perfect for baltimore. re-elect! 2 more terms.

Posted by: pervleft | December 1, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Of course she Should resign, there's no question there. She won't be forced to resign, naturally, and she'll fight to stay in office regardless of the damage it does to the integrity of her office, just like Governor Mark Sanford. But she Should resign.

Posted by: DaveMichael | December 1, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

As Maryland Sen. Clay Davis of The Wire would say:

"Sheeeeeeeeeee-it! Ain't no law 'gainst someone getting presents. 'Specially if she's the mayor."

This is a sad day for our city.

Posted by: pmccomas1 | December 1, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

She should, but she won't.

The sad part is, Dixon really doesn't think she's done anything wrong. Like a lot of other "public servants," she thinks that enriching yourself and your family comes with the job.

Posted by: member8 | December 1, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

There is not even a question to be answered....She should be asking for the appropriate forms. There is so much corruption in U.S. politics....and has been for years. What the public needs here, is another public option. We need a series of check points for our politicians (a minimum of annually). If they fail to meet the standards of public office, they are gone, without a vote. The question would be: Did she break the law? Yes....gone........deputy/Lieutenant step in. Of course she has support within her family and staff.....all their financial livelihoods depend on her remaining in office......please, spare me the dialogue.........

Posted by: griepd | December 2, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

The word for this woman is FILTHY! She is about as corrupt as lint on my three-piece suit. And racist at that.

I can't wait until she exits City Hall and we can have a REAL contest and dialogue.

Posted by: AroundtheCurve | December 2, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to the Baltimore jury for ignoring politics, race, gender and all other distractions and looking at the facts of the case.

Frankly, I figured this was Marion Barry II and OJ all over again.

Posted by: RaiderDan | December 2, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

What kind of an example does this kind of elected official set for our children? She needs to step down immediately, if not sooner.

Posted by: fbent | December 2, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I believe she should step down at this time. Her conduct is one that is unforgiving for a public servant. It appears that there have been many public servants who have committed acts of this nature. The acceptance of this behavior is what I find upsetting.
Step down Your Honor, before it is requested.

Posted by: lynnc412 | December 2, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse