Glenn Ivey out of county exec's race, looking at U.S. Congress

Jonathan Mummolo

UPDATE: Prince George's County State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey confirmed late today that he will not run for county executive, and is setting up an exploratory committee to look into a bid for Congress.

ORIGINAL POST: Prince George's County State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey has decided not to run for county executive, and is forming an exploratory committee to look at challenging U.S. Rep. Donna Edwards (D-Md.) in the Democratic primary next year, according to several sources in Prince George's County, one of whom spoke to Ivey directly.

"He's opening an exploratory committee, looking to run for Congress in the 4th congressional district," said the source who spoke with Ivey. The source spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make an announcement.

Ivey said in an interview today that he is still considering several options, including running for Congress.

"I'm definitely not running for re-election for state's attorney," Ivey said. "I'm not looking to go into the Obama administration. It's an up or out scenario for me. But I'm definitely interested in the congressional race and I'm taking a hard look at it."

He added that he has not made a final decision on the county executive race or working in the private sector.

Ivey has long been considered a leading candidate to replace County Executive Jack B. Johnson (D) when he vacates his seat next year due to term limits, and his departure from the field is a boon for former delegate and county executive candidate Rushern L. Baker III. Baker and Ivey are close friends, both have strong name recognition and they would be targeting the same base of support if they ran against each other.

By Jonathan Mummolo  |  December 2, 2009; 11:39 AM ET
Categories:  2010 Elections , Jonathan Mummolo
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: First Click -- Maryland
Next: Another twist in Arundel Mills slots drama: Recusal expected

Comments

Wow. That will be an interesting congressional race. It's a good time to be a political reporter.

Posted by: mdmoment | December 2, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I think that any Member of Congress, especially those in leadership positions, who support the escalation of troops is vulnerable. If they support tax increases to go with the escalation, they are even more vulnerable.

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | December 2, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I've been very impressed with Glenn's intelligence, honesty, thoughtfulness and cool demeanor. Come to think of it, sounds a bit like the President (except Glenn never sent more troops to Afghanistan). I never understood the attraction of County Exec for Glenn, though. Congress would be a much better stage for his talents, imho. I also like Rush Baker, so this removes a conflict there. That's good. However, I like Donna Edwards too, though she needs a few terms more experience to hope to be really effective in the House and Glenn might be able to get up there sooner. Hard call for Glenn, but I know he would be an asset for his constituents and the country whatever he pursues.

Disclosure: Glenn was a neighbor and has been a friend for years. But I haven't discussed and have no inside info on his thought process on this.

Posted by: AlanLewine | December 2, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I like Mr. Ivey he helped me get into the military but I don't like how that Ronnie White case. Police have no right to take revenge on anyone especially since they are to uphold the law. Ivey wouldnt get my vote.

Posted by: mossmillennium | December 2, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

There’s good and bad news here. We can speculate that Glenn Ivey took himself out of the race for County Executive because he did not want to compete in what will be a somewhat crowded (5 or more remaining), and maybe also a competitive field. Had he stayed in he would likely have been the candidate to beat, and I would probably have voted for him.

His decision to bow out raises more questions than it answers. While it is good news for the others remaining, Rushern, and State Delegate Gerron Levi, are the only two others I would currently consider voting for. That could change if the other three announced candidates express some policy stances. But so far that appears not to be happening.

I voted for Rushern twice, and lost, but am having a little buyer’s remorse about voting a third time. That means Gerron Levi is moving up on my scale.

As to Glenn Ivey VS Donna Edwards, (I don’t get to vote on this), but it smells like a cynical sleazy politician looking for the route of least resistance.

Donna did the heavy lifting to oust Al Wynn, no small accomplishment. I believe she needs at least three terms, equal to one Senatorial term to prove her worth. In the meantime, Glenn Ivey should pursue his options in the private sector.

Posted by: countbobulescu | December 3, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

If Ivey were running for County Executive I would support him 100%. I will not support him against Congresswoman Donna Edwards.......Explore Mr. Ivey, but reconsider and ditch this plan and run for Executive.

Posted by: winston61 | December 3, 2009 3:43 AM | Report abuse

There's no reason for either Mr. Ivey or Del. Taylor to run against Donna Edwards. She had a clear goal in taking on Al Wynn, who was out of touch with the views of the district. Donna isn't. In fact, she's become a national and local leader in an amazingly short period of time. We should support her congressional career, not cut it short.

Posted by: artbrodsky | December 3, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

@countbobulescu: If you supported Baker in two races then the second vote in 2006 was an anti-Jack vote. Either you believe in his ability to lead this county because of his insight or you're a fairweather friend. The fact that he was able to come within 5 points of beating an incumbent without little support from the status quo says that he should get your support in 2010. Gerron Levi? You're wasting your vote again with her. Baker will be county exec in 2010 and that's who we need. We need someone who is a concensus builder for ALL, not just certain people. We need someone who isn't afraid to make decisions based on information and not on friendships and contracts. I hope you'll reconsider.

Posted by: lavonn_r_thomas | December 3, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I think its great that Glen Ivey is running for Congress. Regarding the race for Prince George's County Executive, I think Delegate Gerron Levi is an excellent choice and I believe she will be the leader in this race. She has a plan.
She has a record of action and new ideas.
She has nearly two decades of government relations experience, in addition to currently serving in the state legislature.
I would not vote for the same person three times, who has proven repeatedly that he can't win....now that is a wasted vote, if you ask me.

Posted by: delnagray | December 7, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse