State rejects bid for Baltimore slots site
A bid to build Maryland's second largest slots casino was abruptly killed Thursday by a state panel whose members said they were deeply frustrated by the developer's repeated delays in securing financing and providing other plans for the facility envisioned for downtown Baltimore.
The decision was the latest -- and arguably largest -- setback for the state's fledgling slots program and the promise of more than $600 million a year for education that supporters have said it would generate. The fate of the state's largest planned casino, at Arundel Mills Mall, could turn on a local zoning vote scheduled Monday.
The state action Thursday followed public pleas by representatives of the Baltimore City Entertainment Group for more time to firm up financing and other plans for a 3,750-machine facility located just south of the football stadium where the National Football League's Ravens play.
In a 6-to-0 vote, the commission decided instead to reopen bidding next year for the license, one of five authorized by voters last year in a statewide referendum. The decision could add months to a process that began in February, but panel members said they are hopeful several bidders could come forward, particularly if economic economic conditions improve.
December 17, 2009; 4:56 PM ET
Categories: John Wagner , Slots
Save & Share: Previous: Pr. Geo's County Exec field crowded in public, empty on paper
Next: First Click -- Maryland
Posted by: ProfessorPeabody | December 17, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.