Hogan ends bid for governor, says he is 'convinced' Ehrlich is running
Larry Hogan, who was preparing to seek the Republican nomination for governor of Maryland if Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R) did not run, is announcing Monday that he has ended his exploratory bid.
"Not only do I believe that Bob Ehrlich should run, but I am convinced he will run and that we should all push in the same direction to elect him as Maryland's next governor," Hogan says in a prepared statement shared with The Post. "He not only has my endorsement, but he will have my enthusiastic support, as he always has, and nobody will work harder to make sure we win in November."
Ehrlich's actions in recent weeks have suggested a bid is likely, as The Post reported over the weekend. But Ehrlich said in an interview last week that he is not likely to announce his plans before March.
Ehrlich spokesman Henry Fawell downplayed the significance of the Hogan statement, saying Monday morning that "nothing has changed" since Ehrlich's interview with The Post last week.
In the interview, Ehrlich said: "I'm willing to serve. I am willing to do this again. . . . Right now, it's 'Where are the people?' and 'Do they want you?' . . . I think last summer people knew my inclination was 'no.' Right now, my inclination is, 'We really have to look at this.'"
Hogan served as appointments secretary in Ehrlich's cabinet, and each describes the other as a good friend.
"While I am convinced I could win this race, I also know that there is another candidate with more name recognition, and the ability to raise more money, who will allow us to put our best team on the field," Hogan says in his statement.
The comments to this entry are closed.