How have elected leaders handled the snow storm? Readers respond.

A quick show of hands on the Maryland Politics Facebook page find most residents generally pleased with how government officials have reacted to the storm and with the level and frequency of plowing in their areas.

"I'm in the Ellicott City/Elkridge area and I would give them a B-plus," Michael Meinl wrote. "Some roads like 100 are still in bad shape with only one lane open, but a lot of the side roads seem to be good to go. They will need to move as much snow as possible to accommodate for the next snow storm on Wed."

"I live in the town of Poolesville and they did a fantastic job removing snow," wrote Vicki Cunningham Capone. "I'm sure there is not a single tiny back street anywhere in the entire town that was not plowed before the end of the storm. Great job!"

There also were positive reviews for Maryland's Eastern Shore and Howard County in general.

On the other hand, reviews got into mixed and negative territory in Montgomery County and Baltimore City.

"MoCo has done a horrible job with this storm," wrote Chris Schauer. "They have not plowed out most streets and those they claim to have plowed are full of ice and slush in the one plowed lane. To add insult to injury, MoCo is sending out e-mails letting those of us with sidewalks know we better have them cleared by now or a fine is coming our way."

Jill Lemke adds that "I live in Baltimore City and a snowplow has yet to touch my street ... and I had to take a day off using my own time today. I'd have to say pretty badly. Being from Buffalo I have lots of experience with snow ... and this is ridiculous! I was understanding the first two days ... now it's just unacceptable. Call in some help from somewhere!"

"Town of Kensington awesome!" wote Lydia Sullivan. "Major streets in MoCo pretty good, but lots of snow trucks driving around with scoops up! What's with that? I-270 is a wreck -- chunks of ice everywhere, dangerous. 495 is great."

And on a more positive note, Laurie Knisley wrote that "Montgomery County did an awesome job -- if you don't believe it, go to the Carroll County line or the Howard County line -- we had open emergency routes when theirs hadn't been touched. Kudos to all those who stay out plowing 12-plus-hour shifts -- no complaints here."

Any other thoughts out there? And remember, we've got another dose coming tomorrow.

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  February 8, 2010; 4:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: General Assembly plans to resume Tuesday
Next: Prince George's cancels Tuesday Council session due to snow

Comments

Prince Georges County gets an F! We live in the northern part of the county, close to the BW Parkway, and we have yet to see a plow. If the streets aren't plowed before tomorrow's storm comes through, we won't be able to get out for another week!

Posted by: Narodnik | February 8, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

This is now four days after the storm began, but my street (Denton Road off Wilson Lane in Bethesda) has yet to receive a single pass with a plow. The exact same thing happened in the last snow storm in December. We need better management in Montgomery County. Surely, at least one pass could be allowed on smaller streets while larger roads are receiving multiple passes. We in Edgemoor should not simply be ignored.

Posted by: Edgemoor | February 8, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

MoCo has done a terrible job cleaning streets and PEPCO has done an even worse job restoring power. Our street in Potomac has still not been plowed and we are still without power. THIS IS THE FOURTH DAY.......can't get out and freezing. Where are we living?

Posted by: spgoldberg | February 8, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

They get a F ------. Two phone calls to public works "we are in your neighborhood" Well it is 7 p.m. and nothing. And the postal service man did not see anyone around (1 p.m. Monday) Two e-mail notes to council members - one answered and the other didn't all asking for patience. Patience is an 8 letter word - 2 four letter words if you get my drift - pun intended

Posted by: azurciolo | February 8, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

So where is Leggett these days? I see Fenty and OMalley all over the media, but nothing from Leggett. This is the time when we need a county exec who is a micromanger, a guy or gal, who can put some fire under the public works crews. As for PEPCO, their linemen are courageous, their management is a failure.

Posted by: VikingRider | February 8, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

What you all should ask, is why does Metro, and othe public transit systems in the region, fall apart when they get the "massive" eight inch snowfall? I went to college in Boston, lived in the burbs and was a strap hanger,however, their trains never stopped due to snow. Oh, they slowed down, but they kept going ...they anticipated snow and ice, used heaters on critical switches to keep trains rolling . I still remember seeing the comforting blue glow of those gas heaters as we rolled along on frigid, snowy days. For all the billions that have flowed into Metro, why is it that when we need it the most, it fails?

Posted by: VikingRider | February 8, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

After the last snow in December, my neighbors on our cul-de-sac on Soward Dr. in Kensington found out that in the county database our street is listed as "not maintained by the county". Because of this our street didn't get plowed AT ALL.

After many phone calls, finally one of our neighbors talked to the right person, who sent a snow plow. However, the information in the database was (duh!) not corrected. The county agreed that we do in fact live on a county maintained street, and we are surrounded by county maintained streets.

With this storm once again, we are listed as not on a county maintained street, and though other streets in our neighborhood are getting plowed the cul-de-sac at Soward Dr. is being ignored. We had an emergency involving the fire department this evening, and the fire trucks could not get onto our street.

The county gets an F in my book (twice!), but the real grade that counts is the one I'll be giving in the voting booth in the next election.

If anyone at the county reads this and wants to discuss my complaint, come to the cul-de-sac on Soward Dr. -- and bring a snow plow. We'll all be here, because we're stuck.

Posted by: robin0101 | February 8, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I side with Ms. Lemke - I too live in Baltimore City... in the shadows of the Hopkins Downtown medical campus and I would have died three times over by the time EMS was able to get on my street. I grew up in Pittsburgh and it's completely unacceptable that just outside a major downtown area, on a street leading to an artery, that we've not seen a plow. All the while, our new Mayor is breaking her arm patting herself on the back quoting some garbage percentages of secondary streets that have been plowed at least once.

Posted by: DCtoBalto | February 9, 2010 3:30 AM | Report abuse

MoCo is a No Go. Plows had been down our street Friday night and Saturday midday as it's the main road through our development. Good enough. Left a lot of snow but at least it was driveable. But when we got out to the secondary artery and MD 28....horrible. Even worse when we got on 270. We expected well-plowed arteries but these were worse than our street. At 270 exit 6 on ramp southbound The plows had pushed all the snow from the local lanes into the on ramp. A sedan got stuck and 4 of us behind had to get out and push him onto the highway. Driving on to Bethesda - horrible. 2-3 inches of snow and slush covered most of the main lanes. The extreme right and left lanes were passable. But O. G-town road was pretty clear. 24 hrs after the storm and the interstate was still full of snow - where were the plows? Fast forward 48 hours - Monday - major arteries still have snow piled in driving lanes and icy/slushy patches everywhere on state roads. Back streets still not plowed even once. Unaccepable! Finally on Monday night there were some skid loaders out widening the roads - (thankfully no big plows this time to wall us in again for the 3d time) MoCo/State started out with a C- but dropped to a D/D- based on poor response time.

Posted by: dalves999 | February 9, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

PG county is ill prepared for the snow. We live in a cul de sac on Kingsgate Street, Bowie, MD. Right the address says Bowie but the streets are maintained by PG county rather than the city of Bowie. My husband and I, and several neighbors, have called and emailed PG county numerous times to inquire about snow removal. I've explained that I'm 28 weeks pregnant, have a double risk factor and am insulin dependent, and will run out of medicine by Tuesday night. Thus, we need to get to a pharmacy. The lovely ppl at 301-350-0500 told me and my husband that if I called 911 then the plows would come out. What type of logic is that? The last snow fell Saturday afternoon. It's Tuesday morning and we're still waiting. We believe they don't want to plow our block twice and are waiting until the second storm. I've already missed two days of work since I work for DC government. I've emailed my council member and will continue to write to anyone that will listen. This is ridiculous. PG county gets an F.

Posted by: FuriousPGresident | February 9, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

MoCo - pay the big taxes and receive the least benefit. Too many county employee pensions on the vine. Thats another story. Hillbilly Carroll County had my back street plowed before mid day Sunday. I was right on time for work Monday morning!!!!

Posted by: dh0071 | February 9, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

After this storm and the response in all entities, including utilities: we now know, services have been cut. Personnel has been cut. Safety has been cut. HAVE YOUR TAXES BEEN CUT? And, don't hand me the "only every 20 year craft" You should be prepared evey twenty years.

Posted by: linda_521 | February 9, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery County has done an AWFUL job plowing the side streets! It's now 5am on the 5th day of this storm and I hear the salt trucks and plows from a far-- but they haven't even come through our street once....nor do I expect them to! Glad to see our "tax dollars" at work. We didn't have power for an entire day and our cable/internet just started working late Tuesday night....so why should this be any different?

Posted by: hparikh5 | February 10, 2010 5:05 AM | Report abuse