Prince George's Exec Johnson says snow removal getting easier

Prince George's County Executive Jack B. Johnson said a number of hurdles facing the snow removal effort in the county are being cleared and that with the sun shining--and no additional snowfall erasing the progress of the plows--his beleaguered staff is making headway.

"We are in much better shape now," Johnson said. "The sun is really helping us today."

Johnson said the county nearly ran out of salt Wednesday, even with efforts to ration it, because a contractor that supplies Prince George's out of Baltimore did not make its deliveries. He also said much of the county's snow removal equipment was in need of repair.

But shipments of salt--the county ordered 11,000 tons--and equipment from as far away as Maine are now coming in, and he said Thursday all primary and secondary roads should be passable by no later than midnight.

But residents should not expect to see bare pavement any time soon, he said.

"People were looking for what we call 'pavement'" Johnson said. "That's not going to happen. We're just going to come through and plow low enough so the citizens can get out of the neighborhood. After that, we'll come back. ...That's going to take a long time. ... No later than midnight tonight we'll be in the neighborhoods in full force. ...We're asking people to still be patient and give us a couple days."

Johnson said the county has not seen any serious injuries or deaths related to the storms in the past week.

By Jonathan Mummolo  |  February 11, 2010; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  Jonathan Mummolo , Prince George's County
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Enough snow plows? O'Malley answers on NPR
Next: Pr. George's Exec: Move cars, don't threaten snow plowers

Comments

I'm glad the sun is helping you Jack, because you definitely need lots of help. It didn't help when you promised to do something about the mosquitos the past two summers; it hasn't helped you tear down the abandoned apartments that you promised to tear down in the final weeks of your last campaign. We haven't seen a plow; and we are near a fire station...the fire trucks have been stuck on our street numerous times. Your lips are moving again No Action Jack...but we don't believe you!

Posted by: CalmTruth | February 11, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Ditto CalmTruth! The man is such a consummate liar that it is impossible to believe anything he says until I see a plow with Maine tags on the street.

Posted by: merzydoats | February 11, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

The bowie area haven't seen a snow plow since the storm Jack need to make a trip to the bowie area and why does PG county DPW have a snow request site I have been submitting and calling for snow plow request since friday

Posted by: pam_aggie1967 | February 11, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm not asking for black pavement. I'm only asking for at least one plow to come all the way up the street so I can get out of my driveway. Please!

Posted by: coachmstewart | February 11, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I want to commend the nice man who plowed Gambier Drive in Upper Marlboro and also took his time plowing the side streets surrounding Gambier Drive especially Cone Court. Kudos to that man (should have went out to get his name) but he was driving a John Deere "tractor" #954.

I am thanking him for the neighborhood!!!!!

Posted by: missc39 | February 12, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Jack Johnson is a liar. Straight up. Not a plow in sight since last Friday. Both him and Councilman Samuel Dean need to be ripped. All the property taxes folks pay in this area and NOTHING!!!! I'm past furious...

Posted by: NahLaterz1 | February 12, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

we definitely were NOT expecting "Pavement" in my neighborhood... just expected a pass of a PLOW! At least ONCE to make a way out... we didnt even get that (after the first or second snow)!! Some guy (private citizen) came through on a tractor and cleared the area in front of the mailboxes of PAYING residents and that made somewhat of a path, though not the best because not everyone was willing to pay. But then again why should they have... I thought that was why we paid taxes.

Posted by: spatterson80 | February 13, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I live on Brightfield Lane in Upper Marlboro, MD. The street is covered in ice and snow; it's a mess. Several cars including mine have gotten stuck due to the large amount of snow and ice on our street. I'll probably need body work done on my car from all of the snow and ice scraping the bottom of my car when simply trying to get out of my neighborhood.

Posted by: cyberant30 | February 14, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

One thing the citizens of PG County should be thankful for--this was not an UNEXPECTED terrorist attack, earthquake, or other emergency event.

This snow was predicted for more than a week!

If PG county was faced with a situation that required its leader to think on the fly...we all would be S.O.L.

Remember people we voted these incompetent "leaders" into office...we can vote them out!

Posted by: tluvdantz | February 15, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse