Ehrlich: No help needed from Palin, other GOP stars

Thumbnail image for Ehrlich.jpgDon't look for Sarah Palin or other big-name Republicans to come into Maryland to campaign this year for former governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R).

That's what Ehrlich, who launched a rematch against Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) last week, said in an interview Wednesday morning on WMAR, Baltimore's ABC affiliate.

"I don't need anyone campaigning for me in this state, quite frankly," Ehrlich said. "It's Ehrlich-O'Malley. That's what this race is all about."

Ehrlich's response was prompted by a question about whether Palin, the former Alaska governor, would campaign for him. "Probably not," Ehrlich said.

Given that registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by more than 2-to-1 in Maryland, there are obvious risks to bringing in high-profile national Republicans.

The only possible exception Ehrlich cited was Rudy Giuliani, the former New York mayor and GOP presidential candidate. Ehrlich said Giuliani is a personal friend. Giuliani appeared in Maryland on behalf of Ehrlich during his previous two campaigns for governor.

The WMAR appearance is part of a day full of media interviews for Ehrlich. He will be in Annapolis later Wednesday.

On WMAR, Ehrlich also disclosed that Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. (D-Calvert) wrote him a note that tried to discourage him from running again.

By John Wagner  |  April 14, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  2010 Elections , John Wagner  | Tags: Martin O'Malley, Robert Ehrlich, Rudy Giuliani, Sarah Palin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: First Click, Maryland -- Inbox advocacy
Next: Johnson says no need for furloughs in Prince George's

Comments

Maybe he really wanted you to run because you're a good bet for the dems.

Posted by: vmax02rider | April 14, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Now there's a big surprise that Ehrlich doesn't want the dingbat Queen of the Tea Baggers campaigning for him in a predominantly Democratic state.

Posted by: checkered1 | April 14, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

No Palin? Sounds like his wife is jealous.

Posted by: chucky-el | April 14, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Palin appeals to the un-educated Republicans/Teabaggers. Most people I know with a college or graduate degree don't give a crap what she has to say.

Maryland is a well educated state (the DC area, Maryland's largest population center, is one of the most educated metro areas in the country). Forget about the fact that it leans Democratic...the well educated bit means Sarah Palin would cause more harm than good.

Posted by: thetan | April 14, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

'"He actually wrote me a note six months ago -- I kept it -- assuring me I had no chance, which told me he thought I had a chance," Ehrlich said.

Ehrlich said the note was just one piece of evidence that Democrats, who dominate Annapolis, are "sweating buckets" about his possible return."

Oh Bobby, are you going to employ homeless Philadelphians this year???

Posted by: edlharris | April 14, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Ehrlich, you don't need Palin here because you have the batsh!t crazy vote all wrapped up. Too bad that still won't give you enough to win the general election. But it will be fun watching you get beaten so badly that you slink back to your radio "job" and stop looking for a government job.

Posted by: B-rod | April 14, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Ehrlich is smart enough to know that Marylanders won't go for that hillbilly carpetbagger...opps I meant teabagger Palin. All of our White Trash has moved to Virginia except the few who are still hanging on to deep Southern Maryland. But Miller rules that area, so he just lost them by marking Miller, LOL...Mr. 911 will do him more harm than good too. Ehrlich was good for our State; problem is he's a Rethuglican and one less in office anywhere USA is good for this nation--bunch of friggin' 2 year olds!

Posted by: Beingsensible | April 14, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"Ehrlich said the note was just one piece of evidence that Democrats, who dominate Annapolis, are 'sweating buckets' about his possible return."

---------------------

"Sweating buckets"? "Doing backflips" is more like it. I can't think of a better way to re-elect a Democrat than to have Bobby Ehrlich running, other than having Ellen Sauerbray at the top of the ticket. C'mon, Bobby, why don't you get Michael Steele to be your running mate again? He'll be looking for work soon.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | April 14, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

My opinion of Mr. Ehrlich just went up.

Posted by: ceebee2 | April 14, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse