Man accused of stealing housing funds in Pr. George's still at large
The Crofton man indicted by a grand jury last month for allegedly stealing thousands of dollars earmarked for affordable housing projects in Prince George's County is still a free man.
Randy McRae -- the former board member of a local nonprofit group who is accused of scamming an investor and the county out of a combined $50,000 -- has yet to turn himself in, though a warrant was issued for his arrest more than a week ago, Ramon Korionoff, spokesman for Prince George's County State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey, said Wednesday.
McRae, 51, is charged with three counts of theft, one count of forging a signature and one count of forging a document, officials said. He faces up to 65 years in prison if convicted. According to law enforcement sources, McRae used a local nonprofit, Central Prince George's County Community Development Corp., as a vehicle to steal dollars routed through the county from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. He then allegedly cut checks from the accounts the stolen funds were deposited into to pay for everything from lawyer's fees to his own utility bills, sources said.
McRae appears to be aware of the charges. He has hired Upper Marlboro attorney Ronan Jay Gulstone to represent him in the matter, Gulstone confirmed, though the attorney declined to comment on his client's whereabouts.
"No comment to everything," Gulstone said Wednesday in a brief phone interview.
A source familiar with the investigation said federal and local officials have been trying to serve McRae with the arrest warrant, which also came with a $50,000 bond, but that they've been unsuccessful. The source spoke on the condition of anonymity because the case is ongoing.
"I know the officers have been looking for him and he has been avoiding them," the source said. "Some federal law enforcement officials [are] involved ... because it involves the theft of federal money."
The county sheriff's office is charged with serving arrest warrants, but because McRae's primary address is listed as being outside the county, the office will probably pass the matter on to Anne Arundel authorities, said Sgt. Yakeisha Hines, spokeswoman for the Prince George's County sheriff's office.
Hines said the sheriff's office has had the warrant since May 27, about a week after the indictment, but has most likely not moved on it yet.
"With it being so new, I'm confident to say we probably haven't had a chance ... to actually locate him and serve the warrant," she said. "His main address is actually an out-of-county address, so that would be Anne Arundel, and we will be sending them a letter to serve the warrant."
Hines said she did not know whether the sheriff's office had contacted Anne Arundel authorities.
June 2, 2010; 5:59 PM ET
Categories: Jonathan Mummolo , Prince George's County , Prince George's Hospital | Tags: HUD; Prince George's County; indictment; sheriff; Randy McRae
Save & Share: Previous: Jackson still stands by Calvo raid
Next: First Click, Maryland -- Help us cover gov's race
The comments to this entry are closed.