Former MoCo planner Hanson expected to run for council
The suspense is almost over in Montgomery County's race for the open County Council seat being vacated by Mike Knapp (D).
Royce Hanson, formerly chairman of the county's planning board, who has been highly critical of what he said is political interference in the planning process, is expected to announce his candidacy Tuesday, the filing deadline in Maryland.
Hanson, 78, won't confirm he is running, but has been making plans for a formal announcement at 1 p.m. Tuesday in Germantown. He has been meeting privately with potential supporters and nailing down pledges for campaign donations.
He will enter a potentially crowded field for the nomination in the Sept. 14 Democratic primary. So far, Charles Kirchman of Germantown, Craig Rice, a delegate to the General Assembly, and Sharon Dooley, a local activist who ran against Knapp in 2006, are eyeing the race. On the Republican side, activist and attorney Robin Ficker of Boyds, is planning a run.
Miranda S. Spivack
July 2, 2010; 6:02 PM ET
Categories: Miranda Spivack , Montgomery County
Save & Share: Previous: Ehrlich says Kane is someone he knows, trusts
Next: How would you change the Maryland constitution?
Posted by: robinficker | July 2, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: JoshTaylor14 | July 2, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: VikingRider | July 3, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.