Ehrlich 'pleased' with money report set for release Friday

John Wagner

Former Maryland governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R) said he will release on fundraising total Friday that is "a little bit ahead" of a $3 million goal his campaign set for the period.

Ehrlich's comments to reporters on Thursday came a day after Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) announced his campaign had raised $3.3 million since mid-January and had $6.7 million in the bank. O'Malley's cash-on-hand figure is expected to be at least double that of Ehrlich.

Reports for the fundraising period, which ended Tuesday, are due to the State Board of Elections next week. O'Malley released his numbers well ahead of schedule in an effort to draw attention to the contrast with Ehrlich, who out-raised him when they ran against each other in 2006.

Ehrlich, who announced his comeback campaign in April, said he is "pleased" with the pace at which he is collecting donations. "We're on schedule," he said. "We're a little bit ahead."

Ehrlich said he began the campaign with very little money in the bank because he did very little fundraising after losing to O'Malley in 2006. "We didn't raise any money because I wasn't sure I was going to run," Ehrlich said.

Ehrlich said the money his campaign raised during the period includes no loans from either him or his running mate, Mary D. Kane, a former Maryland secretary of state.

"This is real money," said Ehrlich, who raises most of his contributions from "house parties" around the state.

By John Wagner  |  August 12, 2010; 4:14 PM ET
Categories:  2010 Elections , John Wagner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ehrlich proposes two TV and three radio debates
Next: O'Malley touts possible end to federal oversight of Md. juvenile facilities

Comments

Neither Mr. Ehrlich nor Mr. O'Malley should be elected as Governor.

A few years ago, I was working for the State of Maryland when, on my own time, and using my own computer, I emailed then Governor Ehrlich, asking for his assistance in obtaining a pay raise for my particular employee class, a few weeks later, I was called to the office of a "boss" who said I was not allowed to email the Governor, identify my employee class, and ask for assistance in obtaining a raise. He told me not to do it again.

I said that it was my Constitutional Right to do what I had done, and I left his office feeling intimidated.

Some time later I was fired from my job. I was fired with no explanation being given.

I filed a job action and the State of Maryland representative lied and said that I had resigned. I did not resign, I was fired.

Then Governor Ehrlich and/or his subordinate employees violated my Constitutional Rights, he should not be elected to the governors office.

As to Governor O'Malley, he is disloyal to Marylander's in that he is an unapologetic supporter of the illegal aliens that make up a large criminal class in Maryland. Additionally, he and his fellow travelers in the Maryland Legislature do little if anything for the benefit of those of us who live in this state.

Crime is high.

Taxes are high.

The Bay is polluted.

Excessive development continues.

Excessive unemployment continues.

Illegal immigrants continue to run amok in Maryland.

The Maryland Legislature continues to vote itself raises, and benefits while ignoring the rest of us.

The under achievements of the Legislature and the Governor's office go on and on.

Neither of the two should be elected, as neither of the two is worth a bucket of warm spit.

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | August 12, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

To the first poster here, respectively, you sound very unhappy with Maryland, perhaps you should move to live elsewhere if there is somewhere better. Many of us feel there is nowhere better and we love living in Maryland.

I support O'Malley - though he is far from perfect. Ehrlich is pretty much hopeless.

One of the greatest things about this country is that we are allowed to live anywhere we can afford to.

Posted by: free-donny | August 12, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

When voters get stuck the easiest answer is to look at what the candidates promised in 2006. Ehrlich didn't deliver flashy promises because he was being realistic. O'Malley promised to lower BGE rates, perform independent audits of state spending, end the structural deficits, and even build the third river crossing near Rt 28. O'Malley delivered on none of these promises. Instead, we were saddled with the largest tax hike in Maryland history on the eve of a recession.

Posted by: chesapeaketerp | August 12, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

O'Malley had been doing a great job as governor considering the mess ehrlich and bush left.
One only has to look across the river at virginia to see what kind of nonsense a republican administration can do on the state level.
the republicans and their purity test is an assault on core American values of justice and equality.

Posted by: MarilynManson | August 13, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: free-donny | August 12, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse
***************************************************************************************Dear Sir or Ma'am, as the case may be;

I was born in Montgomery County and have significant ties to Maryland. Your sarcasm is noted and NOT appreciated. In your condemniary posting you level what is, or is close to a personal attack.

Perhaps you would care to re-read the post and respond to the violation of my Constitutional Rights.

Perhaps you would care to re-read the post and respond to the ongoing pandering to the continued florishing, at public expense, of a large group of people, who should not be in Maryland in the first place.

Neither of the last two Maryland administration has performed well at all. This includes the not only the two jokesters that lived in the Governor's Mansion, but those spoiled Delegates, and State Senators who occupy Annapolis every Winter and Spring. In their failures, they reflect the abysmal failures of the last three national administrations.

Address the issue(s) presented.

Oh, by the way, North Carolina is looking pretty good.

Posted by: jnrentz@aol.com | August 13, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Either candidate has done anything to move Maryland forward. Ehrlich as governor was the pits. He raised numerous fees on Maryland resident and flooded MD state government with unqualified and incompetent people. O'Malley used this fact in his 2006 campaign. As governor he did nothing. This years MD governors race comes down to a choice of bad and badder!

Posted by: tobmore | August 13, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

And now that Palin has endorsed Murphy, Ehrlich can expect to collect even less of that "real money".

Posted by: MarilynManson | August 13, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Admittedly, losing the "Palin endorsement" will hurt Ehrlich with the Teabagger fringe voters. However, there is alway there fundamentalist-religious right - Ehrlich could still win them over by swearing allegence to Pat Robertson. It worked for McDonnell!

TGIF

Posted by: free-donny | August 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

@ jrentz respectively, I should explain - no sarcasm here. When I read your first post - you really sounded unhappy. MD is a majority Democrat state. Our choices this fall are looking like its Ehrlich vs. O'Malley. I do not see a huge change coming to Maryland.

If I was unhappy with my state as you wrote with your honest words, I would probably move. I am NOT kidding. There are some great places to live in the U.S. and they are all different - I prefer Maryland. North Carolina is fine...I just prefer Maryland. I meant that sincerely - not sarcastically.

Maryland may not be perfect, but its still the home of the Washington Redskins. I'll stay here.

TGIF