Ivey endorses Alsobrooks for Pr. George's state's attorney

Angela Alsobrooks tallied another high-profile endorsement Monday in her bid to succeed Glenn F. Ivey as the state's attorney in Prince George's County: Ivey himself.

At a news conference in Laurel, Ivey provided a glowing endorsement, saying Alsobrooks is clearly the best of six candidates to succeed him as the county's top prosecutor.

"Angela Alsobrooks is the best-qualified candidate in the race. It is that simple," Ivey said. "I know what it takes to be an effective state's attorney, and Angela has those qualities and more. I will vote for Angela and I encourage others to do the same."

Alsobrooks is also endorsed by the Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 89, the Professional Firefighters and Paramedics Association, the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, the Women's Forum and the editorial pages of The Washington Post and the Gazette newspapers.

Alsobrooks is executive director of the Prince George's County Revenue Authority. She has worked as an assistant state's attorney in Prince George's.

The other candidates in the Democratic primary are Circuit Court Clerk Peggy Magee; Mark K. Spencer, inspector general in the county police department; Assistant State's Attorney Joseph Wright; and county council member Thomas Dernoga.

By Ruben Castaneda  |  August 17, 2010; 5:48 PM ET
Categories:  Prince George's County
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jackson offers jobs plan in Prince George's
Next: First Click: How Maryland politics really works

Comments

I never heard of this candidate until watched Baker "dream team ticket" commercial. Typical PG politics all bling no substance.

Posted by: largo | August 18, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

LOL! You obviously have not followed this race. Alsobrooks is special.

Posted by: discourse | August 18, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Nice try.
That's the point; she's not politics as usual.

Posted by: discourse | August 18, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

My vote is going to Dernoga. Clearly the best candidate.

Posted by: concernedcitizen60 | August 18, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Post’s assessment of Dernoga:
“The fifth candidate, and by far the best-financed, is Thomas Dernoga, a term-limited member of the County Council. He is simply not qualified to be the state's attorney. Although he knows the county's budget and land-use laws well, Mr. Dernoga has never worked as a prosecutor, nor even as a criminal defense lawyer; in fact, he hasn't practiced law of any sort in almost a decade. Lacking that basic background and familiarity with criminal law, Mr. Dernoga has no business running a prosecutor's office in one of Maryland's biggest and most crime-ridden counties.”

Posted by: discourse | August 18, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Also perform the following search on Google and read the opinion affirming the jury decision where Dernoga costs the County $3.7 million based upon his religious discrimination. When you get to the opinion, search for Dernoga’s name and you’ll learn of his poor judgment. Term limited politician? Talking about politics as usual?! Gimme a break.
Here’s the search query:
dernoga mdd.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Opinions/ReachingHeartsInternational_v_P.G.County

Posted by: discourse | August 18, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

discourse - I have nothing against Ms. Alsobrooks, but is it possible for you to support her without disparaging the other candidates? Now THAT would be something other than "politics as usual."

By the way, taking the lead in endorsements doesn't always portend victory on election night. Just ask Hillary Clinton how that worked out.

Dernoga is out in the community listening to voters like me. That's why he'll have my vote, and the votes of many others in my community.

Posted by: concernedcitizen60 | August 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Not disparaging, just giving the facts.

FACT: Post said, "Dernoga has never worked as a prosecutor, nor even as a criminal defense lawyer; in fact, he hasn't practiced law of any sort in almost a decade. Lacking that basic background and familiarity with criminal law, Mr. Dernoga has no business running a prosecutor's office in one of Maryland's biggest and most crime-ridden counties.”

FACT: Dernoga's arrogance, poor judgment and discriminatory actions leadd to a $3.7 million discrimination judgment against the taxpayers of our County.

That's no spin and those are facts that Dernoga's developer financed commercials and temporary campaign workers can't manipulate.

Dernoga for State's Attorney? Gimme a break. He's rightfully term limited from a dysfunctional County Council and should be put out to pasture(sp?)

Posted by: discourse | August 20, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

FOR MORE FACTS, perform the following search on Google and read the opinion affirming the jury decision where Dernoga cost the County $3.7 million based upon his religious discrimination.
This guy can’t abide by the US Constitution in the County Council. Giving him the awesome responsibility of prosecutorial discretion would be catastrophic for a community that is trying to move forward. Here’s the Google search query:

Posted by: discourse | August 20, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

discourse - Since when did the terms "arrogance" and "should be put out to pasture" constitute "facts"? Like I said, nothing but the same old mudslinging we see every single election cycle. Notice I STILL have not said one negative thing about Ms. Alsobrooks; only that I am supporting Tom Dernoga.

I have lived in this county for almost 30 years, and Tom Dernoga is one of the few elected officials that I can actually say cares about ordinary folks like me. So, mudslinging aside, he'll have my vote. And I have a feeling that he'll have the votes of many others who feel the same way I do.

Those are the endorsements that matter.

Posted by: concernedcitizen60 | August 21, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I know, have worked with or have met over substantive policy matters each candidate in this race. What you have to remember about the role of top prosecutor is that s/he must be the County's lead lobbyist before the General Assembly as well as the top civilian law enforcement official. S/he must go to Annapolis and return with legislation and funding to support the work of the County's line prosecutors. S/he must also be able to navigate simultaneously the demands of community associations, victim's rights groups, the bench, and the uniformed law enforcement community (just to start) with grace, good judgment and fearlessness. The State's Attorney for Prince George's County must lead here in the County and around the state on matters of life and death, not just politics. S/he must be willing to stand up to committee chairs and other top legislators whose priorities may conflict from time to time with those of the public safety interests of County residents. So it is about more than just whether a candidate is well-known or experienced trying cases (which does help a great deal). The State's Attorney must be lawyer, administrator, lobbyist and leader every day for everyone. Ask the candidates when they have appeared before a legislature to support a budget request. (And being a legislator is quite different from persuading legislators.) Ask when she or he has solved day-to-day quality of life issues for a citizen. Ask when he or she has taken a difficult public stand despite its unpopularity because it was right for the County. Ask when she or he has had to run an agency, manage employees, and deliver services to the citizens. Finally, ask each candidate whether he or she wants to be State's Attorney to become County Exec or attain some other "higher" position. We need a State's Attorney who wants to be State's Attorney and to become an expert at the job; to be reliable, professional and esteemed around the state and around the region. This is not a job for those merely looking for a safe place to land or for a way to serve interests without the County with power and resources properly kept within the County. The candidate I know satisfies the former criteria and who has promised the latter is the one to whom I have pledged my vote.

Posted by: OmBuds4U | August 22, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

OmBuds4U-
Angela Alsobrooks is your candidate. She's a fresh face with the experience, integrity, passion, compassion, and intellect to get the job done.
She's comes into the race with no political capital and has earned the support of voters all over the County, some with more recognizable names - others with more daunting concerns and needs.
This is a great opportunity for our County to move forward and to leave the past where it belongs. We can't afford the costly mistakes of the past. Check the facts and get on board with Alsobrooks!

Posted by: discourse | August 22, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

concernedcitizen60-
I will not give Dernoga a pass. He doesn’t deserve it.

Perform the following search on Google and read the opinion affirming the jury decision where Dernoga cost the County $3.7 million based upon his religious discrimination. He can’t abide by the US Constitution in the County Council. Giving him the awesome responsibility of prosecutorial discretion would be catastrophic for a community that is trying to move forward.

Here’s the Google search query:

Read it and tell me what you think. Personally, I demand more from my public servants and for my vote.

Posted by: discourse | August 22, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

discourse - I am certainly not asking for you to give Tom Dernoga "a pass," nor would I expect you to give one in any event. I just find it predictable that your preferred way to support Ms. Alsobrooks is to sling mud at Tom Dernoga.

You have now cut and pasted the same campaign talking points in no less than three responses. But you're missing my point. I don't vote based on what the papers or the Prince George's County power structure tell me to do. I recently learned that The Washington Post has endorsed EVERY SINGLE PERSON on Mr. Baker's "ticket." Again, nothing against Mr. Baker, Ms. Alsobrooks, or anyone else, but seriously...every single candidate on his ticket? That alone raises questions about how objective these endorsements really are.

And I don't care who the current and former county power players have endorsed, because, quite frankly, the only people in the county that really seem to benefit when they are in power are their friends.

I left the popularity contests behind in highschool. I am more concerned with who can help my family and work hard on behalf of the people of Prince George's County. I know Tom Dernoga can, because I have already seen him do it.

All the campaign talking points in the world won't change that.

Posted by: concernedcitizen60 | August 23, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Ill have to go with "discourse" on this one.
Alsobrooks is getting my vote. I've also lived in the county for many years, and the things I've heard about Dernega have not been all that great.

If Ivey and Baker are backing Alsobrooks, then I'm backing Alsobrooks. They have good judgement and a clear vision for this county.

I'm excited for September 14th aka House cleaning time!

Posted by: sammarrow | August 24, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, SamMarrow. Yes, Ivey endorsed per the article. The Fraternal Order of Police, Firefighters, Paramedics, United Food and Commercial Workers, Women's Campaign Forum, UNITE HERE!, and Correctional Officers have also endorsed according to email updates from the Alsobrooks campaign. I do not know that Baker, Levi, Dean, or Jackson have endorsed her to date. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them do eventually. She's tops in the field.

Posted by: discourse | August 24, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse