O'Malley (sort of) endorses Fenty

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for o'malley.JPGMaryland Gov. Martin O'Malley (D), somewhat awkwardly said he supports District Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) for re-election in an on-air radio interview Thursday with WTOPs' Mark Segraves.

Asked if he endorsed Fenty, whom O'Malley had just lauded for having presided over a "significant reduction in violent crime," the governor said, "This is one of those Pontius Pilate things, Mark."

"I've enjoyed working with Adrian Fenty. I found him to be a very effective and capable executive. Some of the things we've done on information sharing in public safety have never, ever happened before. I think his administration deserves a lot of credit for the record reductions in homicides that have been happening in Washington and I would look forward to working with him for another four years."

O'Malley faces no opposition in next week's primary. His likely opponent in the general election is former Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr. (R).

By Aaron C. Davis  |  September 9, 2010; 1:04 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: O'Malley suggests he would sign gay marriage bill
Next: Ehrlich votes early, downplays primary challenge

Comments

Correction!
After what happened in the recent Alaskian primary, his likely opponent will be Murphy!

Posted by: MarilynManson | September 9, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter. O'Malley can't vote in
DC.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 9, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter. O'Malley can't vote in
DC.

Posted by: samvped205 | September 9, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I know many DC workers who live in MD and many who have lost their jobs because of Fenty. O'Malley you would be smart to stay out of DC politics because many MD voters will not be happy with this endorsement.

I wonder about your judgment when you refer to Fenty as a capable executive.

Posted by: guylady201001 | September 9, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

O'Malley's endorsements don't carry much weight in MD. His judgement is suspect anyway, considering he kept so many of the Ehrlich croonies around in his administration.

Posted by: tobmore | September 9, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

O'Malley should stick to running his own campaign. Just because he doesn't have a primary opponent, endorsements like that could leave him as "outgoing" governor by next month.

Has it occurred to him that there are legions of DCPS employees living in suburban MD counties, all of whom are probably fearing for their jobs or have friends that have lost them thanks to Fenty's appointment of Rhee as Chancellor. Probably not the most egregious thing he has done as Mayor, but it's right up there. I haven't been thrilled with him anyway, but that statement is making me look more seriously at voting for his Republican contender whoever that might be.

Posted by: Frustratededucator | September 9, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

He also endorsed Hillary. Martin truly is an all-around loser.

Posted by: rpcv84 | September 9, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and by the way, I wonder if Martin is still having trysts with Sade Baderinwa?

Posted by: rpcv84 | September 9, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

O'Malley needs to really be careful. He lost my vote when he endorsed Clintion for president when Maryland cleary endorsed Obama. Lots of DC residents are employed for the District...trust me "stay away" from this one. I will be votiing Republican for the first time in my life...Erlich for governor!!

Posted by: fedup05 | September 9, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Technically, There is opposition in the MD gubernatorial primary election next week. It is just not very effective opposition.

Possible his ill-advised endorsement could cost him in the General. But with the general shaping up as O'Malley vs. Erhlich, I say a plague on both your houses.

That Dynamic Duo gave Marylanders a big bill for a $300 billion+ Intercounty Toll Road and a disaster called slot machine casinos.

Where is Fenty when we need him??

Posted by: 15of18 | September 9, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Between O'Malley vs. Erhlich. I want Erhlich to win. O'malley is not a good person and I want him to loose in November.

Posted by: yorkn72 | September 9, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

O'Malley vs. Erhlich. I would rather support Erhlich than this fool by the name O'Malley. He just lost my vote. He can be assured that I'm going republican for the first time.

Posted by: yorkn72 | September 9, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a MD voter. Stay out of this one, Mr. Governor. While I supported you before, a few more pro-Fenty comments and I could go off the reservation this time.

Posted by: ssmd11 | September 9, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Marty, not one of your best moves. Sure, in the early going you and Adrian represented a kind of dynamic duo of charismatic young leaders (and the visuals were sensational) but did you not notice that even though the lights were on there was nobody home.

Poor Adrian kind of got led astray by Neal Albert and the rest of his bros on the DL. You don't need this, move on, nothing to see here.

Vince will make a nice contrast to your rock star image.

Posted by: SoCali | September 9, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I am completely disgusted by this endorsement. You need votes in Prince George's County, Martin O'Malley. How CAN you endorse that man? Do you NOT realize how many people in Prince George's County are unjustly unemployed right now because of him and his agency heads? And who told you crime has improved? Is it improved or, as the Post surprisingly and accurately reported, merely not all reported?

This is DISGUSTING. I will now be supporting Ehrlich from Virginia and encouraging every person I know who lives in Maryland from voting for you.

Posted by: southyrndiva | September 10, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

and just how would governor o'm react to someone failing to endorse him because he might lose his election? pontius pilate moment? seriously? what a hypocrite!

Posted by: DrivebyCommenter | September 10, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Maryland's own Governor omalley who was also our baltimore city mayor at one time has completely destroyed our once beautiful state. Economy was booming, business' flourishing, great schools etc until omalley took hold of it.. martin omalley's agenda is to jump on the band wagon with illegal aliens. He caters to them with our tax $$ and allows them to work *even state jobs*, and he gives them welfare when they have little or no id or he even accepts fake ids. He has granted thousands a drivers license and then hands them a voters registration form. All of this is easily proven. I'm talking "illegal aliens" only. Not the immigrants that work hard learning our language and becoming citizens. Md has 1/2 million 'illegals" so they say, i say its a lot more than that and only 1000 of them became citizens this year because of omalleys' tactics. Why do they want to become productive citizens when he allows them $$, jobs, drivers license, free housing sec 8, and a voters card. Last year he allowed $2billion tax $$ went for the support of illegal aliens. They even operate business' with no id's, no permits or anything.. Omalley truly went against the citizens of md for the votes of illegal aliens..

THANK YOU MARTIN OMALLEY.. KEEP US A SANCTUARY STATE AND CATER TO ILLEGAL ALIENS. THEIR GANGS ARE KEEPING MD AT THE TOP. Is stealing $2billion tax $$ from citizens to give to illegal aliens worth it just for their votes? Omalley thinks it is.. Remember november folks.. Stop voting for the same ole politicians like Munson, Ivey, guittierez, miller, busch, frosh, leggitt and others.Check out your elected officials before you vote for them.

Posted by: amdactivist | September 12, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse