Johnson dedicates new 911 center in event others thought was canceled
Prince George's County Executive Jack B. Johnson (D), rarely seen in public since his Nov. 12 arrest on witness-tampering and destruction of evidence charges, dedicated a new 911 call center Tuesday. His office put out a news release praising Johnson's efforts to get the center built, and included some remarks that Johnson was said to have delivered at the event.
But top county public safety officials had been told the event was canceled. Same for reporters. So whether this counts as a rare public sighting of Johnson is a matter of debate.
Johnson spokesman Jim Keary earlier said that a media advisory had been sent out inviting reporters to attend, but later told The Post that no advisory had been sent, and that up until Monday he did not think that Johnson would attend. He also said he did not know when Johnson might again be seen by the public.
"It's day by day," he said.
Attending the dedication, according to an e-mail, were Sheriff Michael Jackson (D), a close Johnson ally who lost a five-way race to succeed Johnson, and Vernon Herron, the county's public safety director.
But the county's top public safety officials, including Police Chief Roberto Hylton and Fire Chief Eugene Jones, whose departments will be among the key beneficiaries of the more advanced call center, had been told in a Nov. 23 e-mail that the event was canceled.
This post has been updated since it was first published.
Miranda S. Spivack and Matt Zapotosky
| November 30, 2010; 5:50 PM ET
Save & Share: Previous: Miller asks new lawmakers to help raise gas tax
Next: UPDATED: O'Malley expected to take DGA gavel Wednesday
Posted by: PracticalIndependent | December 2, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse