Pr. George's council members want Leslie Johnson to step aside
At least three members of the Prince George's County Council want to ask Leslie Johnson to forgo the District 6 seat she won earlier this month, several sources close to the council have told The Washington Post.
The members have not spoken publicly because they are hoping to get at least five of the council's nine members to join in the effort. Johnson is expected to take the oath of office on Dec. 6.
Johnson and her husband, outgoing County Executive Jack B. Johnson, were charged last week with evidence tampering and destruction of evidence in an ongoing federal corruption investigation.
In addition to the council members' efforts, an online petition that aims to prevent Johnson from being sworn in is under way.
It's unclear when the online campaign began, but it was part of an e-mail discussion group on Wednesday. Some residents within Council District 6, which Johnson is to represent, launched the drive, saying "Leslie Johnson Must Resign Now!"
"Mrs. Leslie Johnson cannot represent us proudly and honestly on the [Prince George's] County Council," says the petition. "The first order of business for all of us should be to get Mrs. Leslie Johnson off the Council and start a clean slate."
A man who would not open the door at the Johnsons's Mitchellville home on Wednesday evening said, "She has nothing to say."
Miranda S. Spivack, Ovetta Wiggins and Hamil R. Harris
| November 18, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories: 2010 Elections, Hamil R. Harris, Miranda Spivack, Prince George's County
Save & Share: Previous: Rep. Edwards gets important symbolic role during Democratic leadership elections
Next: Carmen Amedori looking at Md. GOP chairmanship
Posted by: bs2004 | November 18, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse