The maverick on Miranda

By Ann Telnaes  |  May 5, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  National security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spill, baby, spill
Next: Lieberman's 'solution': Strip suspects' citizenship

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

We have enough problems & we are not the ones having people including children being kidnapped, being killed, & having a policeman shot when they find large batches of marijuana being smuggled across the border.
It is bad enough here where we live in Georgia with doors being kicked in & people being killed or tied up & robbed & all other kind of things going on with illegals. It is not just the Mexicans but Asians & other people who only come to this country to steal & kill.

Posted by: egw7777 | May 19, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I can understand this digital pix but 20 millions U.S. citizens including I are deaf/hard-of-hearing that they can not receive the audio messages.

Posted by: mld4ds | May 7, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I like and respect Senator McCain. In this case, he's wrong. The arrested would-be bomber is, I believe, an American citizen. As such, he entitled to the full panoply of civil rights. The detainees in Guantanomo are not entitled to the same because they are not American citizens (although there may be one or two among the prisoners).

Posted by: sailhardy | May 6, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Another "Worth a Thousand Words"!

Posted by: lufrank1 | May 5, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

When I'm in a bad mood at work, like right now, I like to look at Ann's cartoons, but especially her li'l animated head. Very Hanna-Barbera!

8-|

PS: John McCain is an idiot. Gotta take advantage of web anonymity while I can.

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | May 5, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Those who expose picking who should have rights and who should not, don't understand that we are a nation of laws and equality. If the FBI or any law enforcement agency fails to give an arrested person his legal rights then the defendant will walk free! At that point those same people will scream how can the government allow criminals and terrorist walk our streets! The laws are there to protect all of us. We can not pick and choose who it will protect and who it will not protect!

Posted by: MyVoice3 | May 5, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Obviously, the Faisal "Fizzle" is not a rocket scientist, his bomb making abilities even unable to set off the firecrackers!
He probably thinks his Miranda rights are simply another part of the Christian religion.
My guess is he will also have lots to say when he runs into big "bubba" in lockup.

Posted by: motiv8ed | May 5, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I am sure that any defence lawyer in the world would advise this detainee to talk very freely and immediately. The bargaining point would be that his stay in Prison, which will undoubtedly be very long, (and he is a young man) will be somewhat more comfortable if he co-operates and very much more uncomfortable otherwise. The Constitution and the Law should always be observed. Also, from what I hear, he is well educated and undoubtedly knows enough about Miranda to have already signed away those rights.

Posted by: hamelinfish | May 5, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Very Cheneyesque, AT. I am surprised you did not have Sarah Palin turning the document into Swiss cheese with her shotgun.

Posted by: meldupree | May 5, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

What do you think about reading people their rights for not purchasing healthcare is that covered in the Constitution?

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | May 4, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

With today's technologies staying silent really doesn't do any good. The government has Mind Reading technologies that are capable of determining guilt. It can be done without wires or the suspects knowledge. Then it is possible to use Electronic Mind Control to make the suspect plead guilty. That makes the Miranda Rights pretty much obsolete in today's World. Our Constitution is basically only a component of deception and it does not apply any more.

I keep telling people about how Big Brother operates in America. It is all true! I guess most really do not believe or care.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | May 4, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse