Gingrich, Palin and the Anti-Defamation League oppose Ground Zero mosque

Related story: Debate heats up about mosque near Ground Zero.

By Ann Telnaes  |  August 2, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  National security
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pelosi's promises, circa 2006
Next: Sharron Angle's media strategy

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

The funniest things about these screwballs is that the loudest objections to the mosque are from people who follow the most dangerous, theocratic evangelists. I don't want to see any kind of religious facility there, but not because the biggest embarrassments of our nation were jumping up and down.

Posted by: revbookburn | August 2, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't this in the news last week?

Why keep these vulgarians' names in the news?

Posted by: mini2 | August 2, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Right Wing Religious Fanatics . . . Please read the article:
"Is fear of Islam the new McCarthyism?"
By Susan Brooks Thistlethwaite

In today's WP.

She nailed Gingrich with a huge truth, i.e. "Gingrich, perhaps best remembered for his ethics troubles, his resignation from his House Seat and as Speaker of the House, and his confession of an extra-marital affair, is now moving to the religious right, as well as further to the political right."

Posted by: lufrank1 | August 2, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Come on Right Wing Hypocrites - - - Even y'all must secretly realize that there is NOTHING Christ-Like in self-proclaimed "Christian" Gingrich!

Geeze! Just ask his first cancer-ravaged wife, if you can bring her back to life!

Posted by: lufrank1 | August 2, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"Look at Bush's remarks:

"There is only one authority I listen to...""

Good lord, you liberals lie a lot. He never said that, you just like to lie about politicians you hate.

Posted by: bobmoses | August 2, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I still don't know why Ann Telnaes still has a job. Beyond the vapid commentary, she somehow thinks it's a great idea to make a site of a terrorist attack a holy site. Here's an idea: Next time there's a terrorist attack, let's not go out of our way to fulfill the wishes of cold-blooded killers who destroyed lives on an unimaginable scale.

Posted by: diehardlib | August 2, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Refudiate???

Posted by: tennesseemoonshiner | August 2, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

jonblackman57 Ihave studied the koran -- people of book are somewhat safe if they pay dhimmi

n divider my friend mal is hindu and joshua is jewish both are proud tea partiers

yes a mosque celebrating the islam martyrs of 9/11 sould be allowed

Posted by: oldhat | August 2, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

yes a mosque celebrating the islam martyrs of 9/11 sould be allowed

Posted by: oldhat | August 2, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

yes a mosque celebrating the islam martyrs of 9/11 sould be allowed

Posted by: oldhat | August 2, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

To know about mainstream Islam, Americans should pick up latest edition of TIME magazine and see how women are treated in Islam. Also read today's NY Times to find out how Muslims treat maids in their lands.

Posted by: AskgharZa | August 2, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to freedom of religon in this country? I hear right wingers and evangelical fruit cakes mouthing it, as long as it's their flavor. I am a Christian and am sick and tired of this BS about Islam being some kind of terrorist religon. This is utterly absurd. You people need to take a good hard serious look at the Koran. I bet 99.9% of you have never even seen a Koran let alone read it.
Find out what you want to shoot off you big mouths before you do it.

Posted by: jonblackman57 | August 2, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Is Telnaes "speaking truth to power" again?

Look, would it be too much to ask the Post if they can find one cartoonists who is not too much of a mindless partisan hack to actually draw a Democrat when they control the Congress and the White House?

If the Posts wants to cater solely to an audience of partisan liberals, they are doing a fantastic job with partisan hack losers like Telnaes.

Posted by: bobmoses | August 2, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Tim Milz---It appears to me that any citizen in this country who seeks political office on the Federal and also State level must make some type of Faustian arrangement with the party that individual has chosen to emerge from. Why are Independent candidates and Third parties so ridiculed in a Nation that boasts of it's Democratic principles. I believe many Tea Party supporters condemn what took place during the Bush administration and Obama has failed to follow through with his promises like transparency and revealing all the corruption of the previous administration. Most of all they do not want a New World Order. The price paid by the American taxpayer already has been too enormous trying to implement such an order. I do not see crucifixes and pictures of Jesus Christ on their posters. The sad thing is Palin, Gingrich, and all the other Right Wing dingalings have hijacked the leadership and direction of the Tea Party movement. For that party to really make a difference somebody needs to emerge with some fresh ideas. I have yet heard anything about term limits from any of those prospective candidates. But I hear it from many other citizens in this country. Just think Ann you would have to learn how to characterize a lot more people if that were to ever change.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | August 2, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Off subject

Watching this The Devils Advocate.

I do say - Think it's a dark comedy for criminal defense attorney's - showing that you have to sell your soul to the devil to win.

First viewing I thought it was a horror movie- now ? I think it's Pacino quietly laughing behind his character knowing he's metaphor for what it's like to head up such a firm.

Posted by: NationalismDividesHumanity | August 2, 2010 3:07 AM | Report abuse

PS

Ann Telnaes !

I LOVE your work - your self portrait there - I LOVE the bunny ear on Palin- I don't know how - but in a line up ? I'd say- Hey - That's Palin.

I wish I could draw- I'd have a BLAST with image for expression -

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU OFFER- Image is a POWERFUL expression.

Words? At the end of the day are all analogy anyway...

I can only imagine more media that's IMAGE only -you say SO much with those lines-

I absolutely LOVED your chicken with it's head cut off - There - hmm - LITERALLY - are no words for how DEAD ON that was.

ok ok - dead ? chicken ? headless ?ok ok - heh -

Did I say thankyou ?

I think I did

not to cheapen the former Thank you's by diluting them !

TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY

Tim Miltz

age 42

Posted by: NationalismDividesHumanity | August 2, 2010 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Monica Goodling came out of PAt Roberston's Regent-

John Ashcroft TAUGHT at Regent.

BOTH brought us Abu Ghraib

You tell ME - Monica picking the MOST NOTORIOUS ABUSIVE prison warden in US history ? to head up Abu Ghraib - wasn't intentional.

My god- this nation has been HIJACKED by Christian TERRORISTS !

Posted by: NationalismDividesHumanity | August 2, 2010 2:53 AM | Report abuse

After staring The Fallacy of Jonah by Rosemary Reuther- 23 years too late?

Learning about Israel's state as a theocracy? And of course nations of Islam ?

I NOW realize what the TRUE trajectory of the Palin/Gingrich driven Tea Party is.

Find ONE non-Christian in the Tea Party.. JUST ONE.

It IS an attempt to turn this nation into a Christian theocracy.

It all fits - the hatred of Islamic theocracies.

Now, I'd THINK Freedom of Religion would prevent a theocracy from ever being formed ?

Alas- WHY the Tea Party attempts to take focus off of what it REALLY is about- Religion- Christianity - and keeps it on Race.

Be careful people in 2012- we just MAY become a theocracy.

It's NOT HARD TO SEE THIS.

I am confident I've NAILED this one... hmmmm perhaps wrong wording there !

TRY IT - find one non-Christian in the Tea Party- it's a front for a Christian theocracy in 2012.

Technically ? With Bush ? we HAD a quiet Christian Theocracy- look at Erik Prince of former Blackwater "I felt our work was a crusade for Christ"

Look at Bush's remarks:

"There is only one authority I listen to..."

I was REAL SURE he'd use that 'Merica people line ? but it finished "and that's the voice of God".

FACE IT - WTC was PROBABLY a message to the Bush Christian theocracy from an Islamic theocracy...

I have little doubt about this.

It's ALL clear to me-

I COULD be wrong - but it ALL fits.

Tim Miltz

Posted by: NationalismDividesHumanity | August 2, 2010 2:51 AM | Report abuse

The Dog and Pony show must go on. I think the fact that the CIA headquarters was nearby in building 7 played a bigger role in 9/11 than any Mosque nearby. How else could cordite explosives find there way into those buildings? Osama Bin Laden is not the greatest terrorist to ever live! He was not able to topple buildings and the World economy while on the run and living in caves!

The Muslim population of the World greatly exceeds that of Christians. Their influences under true Democratic rule in many countries would eventually reign supreme because of their reproduction rate. I am sure Ann Telnaes would encourage all of them to have abortions if it was left up to her to lessen their influences. A Jihad against a powerful Nation such as ours does not make any logical sense just because of that fact.

Why not targets that would play a more strategic or significant role for their military operations. Other than skyscrapers in New York. Everyone will point to the Pentagon but that part of the building was mostly empty. The NSA in Fort Meade MD would have served their purposes better since they were operating from the other side of the world. It wasn't that far from where they took off. That entire attack along with the methods and motivations just does not add up for me. It was too successful and yet not very productive.

The Islamic countries control important Oil reserves that Western Europe is dependent upon. When conflicts take place within the Middle East it slows down oil production and keeps the price of crude higher. This helps out other oil producing countries and of course the few who profit from it.

Russia is the World's leading producer of Crude oil. In fact Russia has everything it needs to sustain itself. The Russians love to see conflicts take place in the Middle East. So does America for some reason.

We could also maintain our own standard of living with our own resources. Why does all of that Alaska crude go somewhere else? If we manage our own resources properly we will not have to depend upon the other side of the World!

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | August 1, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Great thing Malmo don't vote here plus you did't show all the scary liberal stuff coming up the other side. A liberal once said I want to do a job but welfare got in the way!

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | August 1, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse