Proposition 8 overturned

Related story: President Obama's beliefs meet his policy.

relatedcartoon.jpg

112103GayMarriage.gif

See more from the Telnaes print archives and buy reprints.

Copyright: Ann Telnaes | Original published date: 11/21/03/

By Ann Telnaes  |  August 6, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Human rights
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sharron Angle's media strategy
Next: Anchor babies

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

But Maerzie, dear.
Homosexuality is a matter of genes and hormones . . . not merely choice. And, if you believe that God made you (just guessing) please understand that the same God made Gays.

---30 years as research scientist on fertilization and gametogenesis.

Posted by: lufrank1 | August 8, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Marriage is not a right or a game! It is the union of two people who love each other with the privilege of procreation, whether they use that privilege or not; it is a protection of "family" in the usual probability that ther WILL be a "family/children"!! "Abnormal" gay couples have no intention of procreation. All they want is all the privileges and perks that come to "normal" heterosexual couples who are married!

Obama's interpretation is correct and right on!! Gay people have all the rights that anyone else has. They can cohabit. They can love each other and share their lives and personal goods! However, they choose to have various perversions, which are NOT normal, as I do by having a heterosexual relationship without marriage, as I do not intend to have any children! I don't need a marriage spouse to "father" any children or to give the children his name. I don't need a marriage spouse to support me as I am perfectly capable of being a whole person by myself and can support myself. However, I still desire the love and companionship of my relationship, and I'm not begging the government to allow me the SPECIAL privileges of marriage because I have chosen to live "OUTSIDE" the norm by my own choosing!

It is perfectly understandable that gays shold be treated as "equally" as I am treated. I don't get any of the benefits or perk that I had before my husband died (when I was in a REAL, "NORMAL" MARRIAGE with children) either because my life is different now. I am unable to procreate, so I do not need all the protections and benefits of a "normal " marriage. Otherwise, I can love as much as I want! just as gay people can "love" as much as they want. They also have no need for the sanctity of marriage in order to have perverted sex; they will not have any intention of procreation!

Sorry! You can't have it BOTH ways! There is absolutely no reason to have it BOTH ways! It is THEIR "CHOICE"!!

Posted by: Maerzie | August 7, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Marriage has nothing to do with discrimination or equality; it has to do with the marriage of a man and a woman who ever they are as long as they are mature enough for the relationship.
The next corruption of marriage will be the marriage between a person and their pet and then comes a three way marriage on and on indefinitely. We already have major abuses of language that are destroying meaningful discourse.

Posted by: OchamsRazor | August 6, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Best and Most accurate comment:

Talynknight !!!!

Posted by: lufrank1 | August 6, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

The President said "marriage" is between a "man" and a "woman."

I'm pretty sure as a politician he was "playing it safe" with that remark, as he wanted to get elected and as it turned out, a majority of people wanted to elect him.

He didn't rule out civil unions, nor did he say "gay man" or "gay woman". If this is all you've got to hit Obama over the head with, I'd suggest taking the next two days off.

As for the right wing nuts posting about Obama's "hypocrisy," you've got a lot of nerve considering the actions of the prior administration.

Posted by: tony_in_Durham_NC | August 6, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Ann, for once again exposing the hypocrisy of the current majority.

Talynknight wrote:
"It's a pity you didn't play the rest of that clip. You know the part where he says he also does not think the constitution is meant to restrict freedoms and therefore despite his personal beliefs he feels that the government has no right to prevent same-sex marriages."

Well, then why didn't he start off with, "What I believe about marriage is irrelevant to the fact that I believe the US Constitution is meant to guard freedom and equality of the US Citizens"? I'll tell you... it's because he, like many of the other Democrooks, don't view it that way. They would really prefer that gays and lesbians could not marry, but they are going to pay as much lip service as possible to them in order to "guarantee" their votes. At least with the Republirats, their preference is plainly apparent. Their hypocrisy comes from their claiming to support "family values" and then turn around and get caught in a men's room with a "wide stance."

Posted by: kiltedknight | August 6, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

This is such an important pressing issue considering all of our real and pressing problems everyone faces in America today!

Didn't our President already know that a Beauty Queen already got in trouble for making that same statement. Actually what he should of said is I believe marriage is a union between a Woman and a Man. Since women seem to care a lot more about marriage than men.

We could just outlaw marriage. That would solve every one's problem with this issue. Since the origins of marriage actually began with religious beliefs. That would be the total liberal atheist attitude.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | August 6, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Talynknight | August 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

You would think that an important country could and would be able to fix itself. It would be to laugh at how the U.S. makes so much trouble doing the right thing. Except that these wedge issues driven by the ignorant, the racist, the opportunist elements in the population are ruining things for everyone,not only Americans. For starters, end the stupidity of the supermajorities in the Senate.

Posted by: hamelinfish | August 6, 2010 5:56 AM | Report abuse

Why can’t the Tea Party-Republican-Rightists and gays get along? Based on the news over the years, there is plenty of overlap between the groups’ membership.

This article here documents a gay man coming out as a Tea Partier.

Very FUNNY.

Posted by: eye95 | August 6, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

President Obama is right.

Posted by: meldupree | August 6, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Ann, do think any reporter from the Washington Post will ask him about his stance now and no not his golf stance?

Posted by: jornolibist | August 5, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse